45 Minute Hunt in Backyard

Uncle Buck

I have been frustrated by birds in my "backyard", about 40 acres of creek slew and grass only 13 acres of which are mine. The birds were not pressured at all until after Thanksgiving when most of the corn got out. There are still two fields unfinished on the south end of what is huntable. Last Thurs. about 60 birds blew out on us and back to the corn. I had no idea there could be that many out there.
I figured we got in there a little early before they got into the cover to roost, so Sunday I waited till 4:15, walked all the way south around the cover and proceeded north in hopes of keeping them in the cover. They started blowing out anyway, tho not as far away. I had POCO, 16 month old Pudelpointer who is coming along well, but needs a little work steady on point and retrieving. She got two hens pointed nicely. I let a wild flush rooster go and finally shot one that got up close. Poco made a nice find and retrieve in the thick stuff.
Getting a little too close to the neighbors farm yard so headed west towards my ground. The creek flows in and as quickly flows out in an area about 40 by 100 ft. on the fenceline. Lots of rushes in here. Poco locks up and it takes a bit for me to kick him out, but the bird comes down and I get another nice retrieve. Big bird, 23+ tail and very heavy, possibly the bird that we play cat and mouse with all summer. He is/was a loner who is often seen within 50 yards of the dog pen.
I walk 250 yds back to the house, praise and put the dog up, pour a shot of Crown and chase a beer. I'll miss that bird, but another rooti will fill his niche.
________
Vapir oxygen

Last edited:
It's the Good Life . . .

Isn't there a song about lifestyles like Uncle Buck just described? "It's the Good Life ..."

That was a GOOD 45 minutes! Nice birds! and GOOD pup!

Buck, just like Chuck(me) except for me it's Ruff Grouse out my back door and the shot and beer afterward. Isn't life grand when you live where hunting is as close as on the otherside of your front/back door?

Great story Buck, nice pup too

Cheers
CR10601.jpg

miller.jpg

Buck Nice story and PIc's, I wish I had hunting like that out my back door. But we all can't live in the dream areas........Bob

Nice day, but that story sure made me thirsty. Even though I didn't bag any roosters today I think I earned a shot and a beer as well. Cheers Mr. Swellcat.

Cheers

I have seen your backyard and I am sure you won't have any problem fooling a few more of those rudies before your season is up.

Good luck and Merry Christmas Buck!!

Nice work Uncle Buck! And thanks for the pics.:coolpics: Have a Happy Holiday.

Merry Christmas
Rod​

Sometimes the best things in life are a short jaunt instead of a big production. to be able to walk out the back door, a man and his dog ... it just doesn't get much better than that.

Here comes some downside. We got 4-5" localized snow in Lyons area last nite tho Sioux Falls only got an inch(more rain tho). 12 to 18 addl. thru Friday predicted with 35 mph winds. I better get back out there in the next 36 hrs as it will be all over after that. Will have to go west a ways after that.
________
BUY EASY VAPE VAPORIZER

Last edited:
Back