3 objectives when taking a photo

1. Place the phone slightly below the dog
  2. Capture the landscape we are hunting in
  3. Capture the "catch light" in the dogs eyes
This photo was from our hun hunt this morning.
My older lab, a bit beat up from hunting roosters earlier in the week.Oct23hun.jpg

Lower than the dog is usually a good policy, and sometimes you can't get low enough!
IMGL4470-2.JPG

But every once in a while, high above the dog is the best choice.
Rosie_Pup_IMG_1250.JPG

Usually eye contact makes a photo better, too.
Ruby_DJ7A9868-Edit.JPG

But not always.
Setter_5D4_6454.JPG

Shooting during the "Golden Hours" usually give the best results.
5D3_2525.JPG

Include the environment, too.
5D4_3546.JPG

The one tip I'd give other than those already mentioned in the thread is; a dog with it's ears perked invariably makes the photo better than a dog with it's ears back. Some dogs just hate being photographed, but if you rattle a box of treats or use a squeaker to get their attention, the results are almost always better.
Ron_Schara_IMG_0326.JPG

Lower than the dog is usually a good policy, and sometimes you can't get low enough!
View attachment 8998

But every once in a while, high above the dog is the best choice.
View attachment 8999

Usually eye contact makes a photo better, too.
View attachment 9000

But not always.
View attachment 9002

Shooting during the "Golden Hours" usually give the best results.
View attachment 9003

Include the environment, too.
View attachment 9005

The one tip I'd give other than those already mentioned in the thread is; a dog with it's ears perked invariably makes the photo better than a dog with it's ears back. Some dogs just hate being photographed, but if you rattle a box of treats or use a squeaker to get their attention, the results are almost always better.
View attachment 9006
Yes and "catch light" in the dogs eyes is also important!

A photo to discard.
Got the landscape with this photo, but should have waited longer to capture the "catch light" in the dog's eye
and hope for a shot where no grass blade blocking the dog's face.
From yesterday's hun hunt in Montana.
hun_huntOct26.jpg

A photo to discard.
Got the landscape with this photo, but should have waited longer to capture the "catch light" in the dog's eye
and hope for a shot where no grass blade blocking the dog's face.
From yesterday's hun hunt in Montana.

It's just my opinion, but I think that with most environmental shots it's advantageous to not have the dog coming towards the camera and because of that catchlight really isn't significant. Even if there is a dog (or hunters) in the shot, they're not really the focus of the image, it's the landscape you are trying to capture. Here's a published example of a dog coming towards the camera, but there is no catchlight. The dog-in-motion, the leading line and the fall colors are the most important parts of the image:
IMG_3338.JPG

Here's another published example where the landscape is the feature of the image, not the hunter or the dog:
5D4_3546.JPG

My favorite hunting landscapes always have something that draws the eye into the photo. This photo isn't mine but I included it in my last book because it's so good at drawing the viewer right into the scene. Anthony Hauck is the photographer and his dog Sprig is showing us all where to look:
Anthony_Hauck_RRT-15-HAU-0002 (2)-2.JPG

This isn't a great hunting landscape and it will never be published in any magazines or books, but it is a good example of using leading lines to draw the viewer into the photo:
IMGL4783-2.JPG

Again, all just my opinion.

Back