3/27-3/28 Blizzard?

Does anyone know if that blizzard that hit Kansas this past weekend hurt the birds? I saw videos from Dodge City and Wichita that were covered with deep heavy wet snow. I hope it didn't hurt the birds too bad.

Does anyone have any reports on how the birds turned out?

I have not found any dead birds yet, except for one sparrow. I haven't been over all my place yet, but I am seeing pheasants out and about. Haven't ran into any of the quail and lesser prairie chicken yet.

I really question the official snowfall report. I think it was reported that Dodge had fourteen inches of snow. I do not believe it. It is hard to tell with the snow in piles, but from what I see, I would guess maybe six to eight.

stick090328103.jpg

It will take some time to know exactly what the storm affected. I'm sure that there will be areas hit worse than others. There were both good and bad things about this storm. Good- the storm was of short duration, it started melting almost as soon as it ended, the birds weren't stressed going into the storm, and temperatures weren't very low. Bad- the snow was very heavy and wet ( could trap birds more easily), the high wind could blow snow into birds nostrils, beaks, and feathers; the snow being wet can make birds wet. We need to look around and check for mortality evidence soon or it will be consumed. I really believe if the heavy snow didn't trap the birds underneath cover, they should get through the storm fairly well, especially in areas of better cover.

I measured 17 inches at my place in town. I tried to get to our farm on Sun but the County hadn't opened the last half mile yet. On the way out I did see lots of pheasants. They were huddled up under any tree that had bare ground around it. I'm sure the pheasants did ok but you always have to wonder about the quail.

In the great SW part of Kansas, I doubt the snow hurt the birds. Pheasants are tough birds and we really needed the moisture. In the long run this snow will benefit the birds, depending on if we get more rain. I did see several doves that iced up.

I expect all three of our KS species of upland birds to make it through this one just fine. They're all adults birds and have made it this long. The snow didn't last very long and it really didn't get very cold. We're in good shape going into the spring. Keep your fingers crossed for more spring moisture so they can have quality cover when the times comes.

On the positive side (as was already mentioned) we (you-heck I live in Texas) received some much needed moisture. That will certainly bode well for the crops and cover later this year. I can only think this storm was a blessing for most of SW Kansas.

The subsequent warm weather will sure minimize the possibility of any longer term damage. There is a lot of bare ground showing already and surely there is food available there. The moisture will go a long ways toward getting the greenup started.

I found lots of lively pheasants today, thank God. Unfortunately, the places where the quail usually stay are packed with snow three to four feet deep. I didn't run on to any quail today, but will keep looking. I did find two sets of dove feathers. I will keep looking as the snow melts and hope for the best.

Maynard, the wheat has really browned down here from the snow. I hope it comes out of it! What are you seeing on the Ponderosa? Any insights?

I do not have a good report on the wheat and possible damage. I see that that tops are burned some. It got down pretty cold for the wheat at this stage, but who knows.

The pheasants and turkeys really came through the storm in good shape. So far I have seen the two ranchhouse coveys, but not sure if all the birds are there. Last night I had a big bobcat at the house, but I think he was hunting the bunnys which were out in great numbers last night. I saw lots of bunnys and Jack rabbits last night.

I was all set to burn CRP today, but could not get a permit. Will try again next week.

If I see some more coveys and some lesser prairie chicken, I will be feeling pretty good.

Back