2nd Trip to Eastern Oregon

Drew

Had an interesting 2nd trip to Eastern Oregon. We had a great first day. I limited on roosters (2 birds) and limited on quail (10 birds). So, on day two we decided to go back to a Wildlife Management Unit south of Drewsey Valley (west of Juntura). We hunted it a couple of years ago and there were a large number of quail living there. We saw a total of 10 quail after 1/2 day of hunting. I wonder if the elevation there is marginal for quail and due to a severe winter last year the quail got knocked back a bit. Any way, then we stopped by the restaurant in Juntura, which has great food and the largest portions per meal that I have ever seen. We did get into some good numbers of birds along the way and I ended up spending my time chasing chukar for the last part of the day, but after three shots I dropped a leg on one and that was my day.

The third day, we hunted along the Malheur River and really had a good day. Everybody was tired but finished nicely. We ran into three coveys of quail in an area that were at least 100 birds each. It was quite a sight. As always, when a group like that gets up I usually get one bird because I shoot early and am reloading my shotgun when the better shots present themselves. My dog did awesome and I can't wait to go back again.

Drew

Attachments

• Chukar 2nd trip.jpg
    Chukar 2nd trip.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Day one Drew.jpg
    Day one Drew.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 33
Back