2nd Home, would you do it again?

We are looking at a 2nd home, still here in Montana, but 350 miles away from where we currently live. Pretty sure it will become our primary home in 5-7 years. We spend quite a bit of time in the area, and have developed friendships with folks in the area of the new home, and one of those actually helped us find the home before it even hit the market. That said, those that have or currently have a 2nd home, would you do it again?

We have a second place that is 6 hours south of where we live on a lake. Average temp is about 10-15 degrees warmer at the lake than home. We love our time we spend at the lake cabin and it will become our retirement home at some point after our daughter graduates HS. We have no regrets at all as we love the area and the people and find it very nice to go and stay in our own place. We have it set up just as we want it. Much better than renting a place or hotels IMO. So if can make it happen financially I would say go for it.

Our family has a lake house about an hour from my house. It's great when it's great, but a real pain when it's a pain. haha. Things break or the place gets broken into when you're gone. The basement has been flooded a few times, once from a busted pipe, once from clogged AC drain, and once from a broken water main outside. A few times we have had storm damage. I'm thinking of several weekends we had planned to play at the lake that turned into major work when we discovered something broken... And a few times I've gotten emergency calls to come down to the property for various things broken or needing attention.

The more maintenance free the place is, the better off you are. Or if you hire someone to take care of the place when you're gone and handle the chores like cleaning and mowing, then that is a good head start. If you enjoy handyman tasks, then that is a bonus since you get double with two houses.

Most of the time I really love the lake house, but as my kids get older and we are starting to be busy with kid activities all the time, it is also a source of stress sometimes. We know the place requires care and needs to be used.

Anyway, money and time. If you have enough of both, a second place is great. :thumbsup:

Since the early 70's, I co-owned a fishing camp in N.W. Ontario, 250 miles from International Falls. This was a private camp and we enjoyed guests and family that endured the trip to this remote island. A home in the wild; great fishing and scenic views. but a lot of work to keep it going.

The weather can be a huge factor in maintaining a facility. Lots of snow and rain can take it's toll, especially on docks and roofs.

I do miss this special place and have fond memories of the many trips over the years. And I would do it again if I had the opportunity...

Little late to this one, but we are in the same situation.

We are trying to decide if we would like a second place in northern Wisco/U.P. (we live just south of Madison, WI). The other thought, is that we look for acreage close to where we are now. If we did this, we would build and it would become our only residence. However, we would like 100 acres plus, for bow hunting. From what we have seen, we can get the acreage near us, or a couple of acres on the water up north, for close to the same price. Having been a fishing guide in Canada and several states, I love being on the water. LOVE IT! However, I think it would be nice to have our own acreage to bowhunt. I would then have a place for dog training also. May even put up an out building to run a detail shop out of.

We love the idea of a second place, but the time and work are enough to make us question it.

We close next Monday, looking at doing a vacation rental for a few years for tax reasons, then in about 5 years we will make it our permanent place. We live on the high plains of eastern Montana, this home is close to several mountain ranges and has gorgeous views of them along with 15 acres, a small spring fed pond that at one time was stocked with trout, but the old owners lost interest in that, I have to check with Montana FWP to find out what they allow as far as stockings, I know the pond runs into a small stream with then runs into the Boulder river and then Yellowstone, both less then a mile from the house.

i love where you live in the fall, but summers, and winters are tough on the High line!
those seasons will be MORE comfortable in SW Montana... i live outside Bozeman.

There is a lot to be said for not living amongst thousands and thousands or even millions upon millions...LOL, of course it get's cold in the winter, hot in the summer, but still a beautiful area to spend time in even then, FT. Peck is a under used lake, and we adore it. We chose Big Timber because it is STILL a ranching and farming town, far enough away from the hectic worlds of bigger city's. Career will take us away from up here when we do move, we will still take trips back up here and maintain a premise up this way.

Little late to this one, but we are in the same situation.

We are trying to decide if we would like a second place in northern Wisco/U.P. (we live just south of Madison, WI). The other thought, is that we look for acreage close to where we are now. If we did this, we would build and it would become our only residence. However, we would like 100 acres plus, for bow hunting. From what we have seen, we can get the acreage near us, or a couple of acres on the water up north, for close to the same price. Having been a fishing guide in Canada and several states, I love being on the water. LOVE IT! However, I think it would be nice to have our own acreage to bowhunt. I would then have a place for dog training also. May even put up an out building to run a detail shop out of.

We love the idea of a second place, but the time and work are enough to make us question it.

I have a friend who has about 239 acres near Pigeon Falls in Trempaleau County (sp?)...nice wooded hills, good cropland down low, some CRP here and there...lots of deer, turkeys, some pheasants...alot to be said for easy access...that area W of Madison towards Eau Claire is really nice....

I have a friend who has about 239 acres near Pigeon Falls in Trempaleau County (sp?)...nice wooded hills, good cropland down low, some CRP here and there...lots of deer, turkeys, some pheasants...alot to be said for easy access...that area W of Madison towards Eau Claire is really nice....

Also PRIME hunting and farming land!

The prices reflect this too!

I was commenting on that part of Wisconsin being a pretty nice area, as one or two posters before me commented on that area vs. going further North in the state and being far away from home, and not being able to use it as much. Didn't think it was going to throw a monkey wrench in the discussion. Good luck.

Back