28th Annual Trip To South Dakota

oscar

Hopefully I will be leaving in 2 weeks for the Winner area. Our Golden was diagnosed with cancer recently and if she is not feeling well I will stay home to take care of her. She seems to feel fine and I have an appointment to get a CBC for her. If all is well, I will head West.

My group has grown to 10 over the years. Two are from Texas, 2 from Louisiana and 1 from Wyoming. All of these have ties to where I live now or childhood friends. Two previous hunters are no longer living. I am planning on passing my Red Label to a younger friend this year. He stands to get it in my will, but he might as well have it now. I plan to hunt mostly with my AL48 20 gauge as it is very easy to carry and I shoot well with it. I may hunt with the Ruger one last day also. I have been hunting pheasants for over 60 years and I truly love the annual trip to SD. The birds are like nowhere else. I have been. It reminds me of Illinois back in the 50's.

I have become very close to the family I hunt with. I have traveled there for weddings and graduations. I have given each of the grandkids at least 1 shotgun and a couple have gotten 2. When I am gone, they will get the rest of my collection.

I enjoy the trip out as I love the different scenery and all of the small towns and sometimes very lonesome roads. Over the years, I have made friends at the motel and the guy who has cleaned all of our birds.

I couldn't afford this trip financially or vacation days wise till I was almost 50. I am glad I made the decision when I did. I hope some of you will make a similar decision. Good luck on your hunts.

I've been retired for years,so I hunt a lot.I never hunt in big groups.I do have 2 annual hunts I go on with family. I have a nephew who is 10 yhat will hunt this year.😀😀

What is your goldens diagnosis? If caught early she might have a more positive prognosis and enjoy one more trip. God bless.
Four goldens in our family have succumbed to cancer. I have walked in your shoes.

What is your goldens diagnosis? If caught early she might have a more positive prognosis and enjoy one more trip. God bless.
Four goldens in our family have succumbed to cancer. I have walked in your shoes.
Large Cell Lymphoma/ We had 3 previous Goldens and no problems like this. It can't be cured, but hopefully it will go into remission.

Back