28ga sxs

quail hound

Alright guys I value your opinions so let me know your thoughts. I'm looking for a 28ga sxs, single trigger, English stock (preferably). My price range is about 1000-2000$. What new or used guns would you suggest? I own a cz red head 20ga that I love, ran over a 1000 rounds through it in one season with no problems. I've heard disparaging things about cz's but I'm leaning toward a ringneck right now. Give it to me straight what would you buy in this price range?

I like the weatherby but 7 1/4lbs is a bit hefty for a 28ga.

There are still a few SKB model 385 28 ga SxS around, single trigger, English stock. I have one in 20 ga, weighs 6.5#, very nice quality. Paid $1800 for it NIB.

Wow great looking gun, but I looked on skb's web site and it seems that all the gauges are built on the same frame is this true? I want a small bore on appropriate size frame to carry when I'm hiking those long hilly miles chasing Ca quail.

Wow great looking gun, but I looked on skb's web site and it seems that all the gauges are built on the same frame is this true? I want a small bore on appropriate size frame to carry when I'm hiking those long hilly miles chasing Ca quail.

The 12 ga is one frame, and the 20 and 28 are both on the same smaller frame. That's the same as any other manufacturer. I don't think there's been a separate 28 ga frame since Parker went under 75 years ago.

The 12 ga is one frame, and the 20 and 28 are both on the same smaller frame. That's the same as any other manufacturer. I don't think there's been a separate 28 ga frame since Parker went under 75 years ago.
That's not entirely true, some manufacturers still make gauge specific frames such as cz and fausti. I have held both 20 &28ga cz's and the difference in frame size is readily noticeable. I do like the skb but if I went that route I might just opt for the 20ga.

That's not entirely true, some manufacturers still make gauge specific frames such as cz and fausti. I have held both 20 &28ga cz's and the difference in frame size is readily noticeable. I do like the skb but if I went that route I might just opt for the 20ga.

Let me know if you decide to go for a 20. I'd like to sell mine. I've shot four rounds of skeet and a dozen quail with it. It's absolutely like new, not a mark on it. English stock, 26" barrels, 3" chambers, 5 choke tubes, in a very nice hard case. $1650 and I'll pay shipping to your FFL gun shop.

Back