28 gauge ammo

Do they still make this shell? On a different thread on a different site a few old hunters were saying that there aren't any good factory loads for a 16 when it comes to wild pheaseants.
It's in the Federal catalog, but I never see any. I don't think they've actually produced any in several years. I've got maybe 5-6 boxes left, so they're only for special occasions, when I really want to reach out & touch something. In truth, lead 5s get me to the extent of my shooting capability. Lead 4s, imho, are never really necessary in pheasant hunting.
20220509_185722.jpg

I got a Hungarian. I knocked down a big rooster at 30 yards, but he ran into thick cover. I couldn't find him.
Go back to the Remington 1100 12 gauge or wing master 12 gauge is my advice. And as puppy gets older he will find more of these birds for you, although no matter what, a few of the wiley hit roosters find a way to dissappear.

I almost downsized my turkey gun. Glad I didn't. I had a nice Tom come into my view but wouldn't commit, he had a hen right with him. Finally the hen walked back the way she came, but 5 yards closer to me. It was all I needed. If I would of had a 28 gauge that giant Tom would have walked away Scot free. As it is he's in the deep freeze, on his way to being turkey jerky. I have a picture to prove it, but not on my phone.

Go back to the Remington 1100 12 gauge or wing master 12 gauge is my advice. And as puppy gets older he will find more of these birds for you, although no matter what, a few of the wiley hit roosters find a way to dissappear.

I almost downsized my turkey gun. Glad I didn't. I had a nice Tom come into my view but wouldn't commit, he had a hen right with him. Finally the hen walked back the way she came, but 5 yards closer to me. It was all I needed. If I would of had a 28 gauge that giant Tom would have walked away Scot free. As it is he's in the deep freeze, on his way to being turkey jerky. I have a picture to prove it, but not on my phone.
I saw a turkey today, but I didn't have enough with the 28.I dud not shoot because I would have wounded him. I shot the 28 well, but there was a 15 mph. wind.

Maybe 30 yards is to much.I just can't hold off on those.Easy for a 12.I hate loosing birds.For late season, I was close.
Goose, I think someone else posted in another thread, but I’d be inclined to tighten the choke a tad and see what happens. There is no reason you should not be thumping roosters at 30 yards with that gun.

Goose, I think someone else posted in another thread, but I’d be inclined to tighten the choke a tad and see what happens. There is no reason you should not be thumping roosters at 30 yards with that gun.
Yes. 30 yards should not be an issue at all.

I've always liked improved cyl.
I’ve heard 2 things about using the 28. #1 go one choke tighter than you would use in other gauges. #2 use the same choke you would use in other gauges. I would say if the distances are the same, then stick to the same choke. For me that’s usually light mod or mod. I do shoot some IC for quail but go slightly tighter on pheasant.

Patterning has become more important to me lately. I bought a Beretta A400 Xtreme 12 ga. Bought it to shoot trap and pheasant. Took it trap shooting and everyone thought I had an IM choke in because I was busting them so far out and turning them to dust. It was just a mod choke, but the chokes in this gun shoot tight. IC would be my go to in it. I mainly patterned before just to make sure my poa and poi were on. And I still pattern more by shooting clays than I do shooting a plate.

I’ve heard 2 things about using the 28. #1 go one choke tighter than you would use in other gauges. #2 use the same choke you would use in other gauges. I would say if the distances are the same, then stick to the same choke. For me that’s usually light mod or mod. I do shoot some IC for quail but go slightly tighter on pheasant.

Patterning has become more important to me lately. I bought a Beretta A400 Xtreme 12 ga. Bought it to shoot trap and pheasant. Took it trap shooting and everyone thought I had an IM choke in because I was busting them so far out and turning them to dust. It was just a mod choke, but the chokes in this gun shoot tight. IC would be my go to in it. I mainly patterned before just to make sure my poa and poi were on. And I still pattern more by shooting clays than I do shooting a plate.
I may try modified in my first, full in second. I really like improved cylinder in my 12 auto.

I may try modified in my first, full in second. I really like improved cylinder in my 12 auto.
Don't let all this get in your head. You do need to find a good choke/ load combo for any gun you use hunting. Once you do, screw them in and forget about it. Put all your energy into putting puppy in good bird cover, watch his tail and nose, and bag some roosters. 🐓

Don't let all this get in your head. You do need to find a good choke/ load combo for any gun you use hunting. Once you do, screw them in and forget about it. Put all your energy into putting puppy in good bird cover, watch his tail and nose, and bag some roosters. 🐓
Good advice.

Yes, some of my guns are full choke, no screw. I grew up shooting full. Puppy is starting to get it a little.

I shoot IC out of my 28's the first couple of weeks of the season and then switch to MOD for the rest of the season. I shoot BOSS #4 & 5's out of them and have no issue with shooting birds 30yds+ with them.

I have never had any trouble killing put and take state stocked Pheasants with 3/4 oz. of Winchester XX #6s using an IC tube in the lower barrel and a Mod. tube in the upper over my GSP. That is of course, when I put the pattern on the bird.

I have never had any trouble killing put and take state stocked Pheasants with 3/4 oz. of Winchester XX #6s using an IC tube in the lower barrel and a Mod. tube in the upper over my GSP. That is of course, when I put the pattern on the bird.
I think Winchester has superior lead in their top end shells, rounder and harder. Last spring, I was patterning a bunch of different shells for turkeys. I've been hunting with o/u 20, very full and very very full. A 2/34 in one barrel for under 30, 3'' over 30. Shot the Win. AA heavy target and couldn't believe it. They shot as tight as some of the cheaper 3'' shells.

Back