26 Miles of Walking Over 2.5 Days...& we Finally have Something to Show for It.

Glad you had some success. This is in CO, right? I know you have pretty long daily shooting hours, & I have no idea how long it took you to hunt 26 miles. But in all my years of hunting, including some pretty long days, I've never come remotely close to that many miles. It occurs to me that you might be trying to cover too much ground too quickly. Just a guess; maybe I'm wrong. In all my hunting, I probably average at most 1.5 mph, so my dog has a chance to hunt. Food for thought.

Glad you had some success. This is in CO, right? I know you have pretty long daily shooting hours, & I have no idea how long it took you to hunt 26 miles. But in all my years of hunting, including some pretty long days, I've never come remotely close to that many miles. It occurs to me that you might be trying to cover too much ground too quickly. Just a guess; maybe I'm wrong. In all my hunting, I probably average at most 1.5 mph, so my dog has a chance to hunt. Food for thought.
It looks like he averaged about ten miles a day. 9-10 hrs a day of legal shooting time. In that short grass and circle irragation corners you can really stack up the miles

Last edited:
Nice video, like how you can pause one dog in the video while the other listens to your instructions...:rolleyes: I can say when I hunt in SD, on my long days I can average close to 10 miles, usually means my shooting isn't that good. I also have some long ditches that I walk, 2 miles one way so it can add up quickly depending on the type of cover you are hunting. Looking at my watch data, i average about 2 mph when hunting out west. Glad you are on the board! I see you have the same luck as me while crossing a fence a rooster flushes.......

Thank you. I covered those miles over 2.5 days in the field. If I did that in a day at my age, I would expire. Colorado is accurate.

Nice video, like how you can pause one dog in the video while the other listens to your instructions...:rolleyes: I can say when I hunt in SD, on my long days I can average close to 10 miles, usually means my shooting isn't that good. I also have some long ditches that I walk, 2 miles one way so it can add up quickly depending on the type of cover you are hunting. Looking at my watch data, i average about 2 mph when hunting out west. Glad you are on the board! I see you have the same luck as me while crossing a fence a rooster flushes.......
Appreciate you watching. The fence mistake almost broke me. I always try to keep the dogs close when we cross a fence. I turned my back, Echo smelled birds, and she went after it. I can't believe that I was looking the other way.

This season, I noticed that I am slow to identify a rooster that is flying away from me. That hesitation puts me in a bad position to execute a shot. Such the miss on #2. I missed another layup, as well as a couple of longer shots.

All I can do is practice on clays and keep hunting.

Good luck to you.

5 miles is a long walk!!

Back