?????

Nasty-G

I have some family members hunting the Eureka area. Generally do quite well. Not this year !! Bad hatch ? Ideas ?

What type of ideas are you looking for? I don't think anyone can give you a definitive answer as to why that area isn't producing birds as there's likely a number of different variables affecting them.

Not sure what to tell you as to the cause but based on all the good reports I’d suggest they start covering some miles to find birds. They are out there for sure.

Hmm, bummer we used to hunt up that way and I wanted to try it again.... We left that area after the ice storm of 2017 wiped out almost all the birds but I figured they would be back by now maybe?

The ice storm was devastating for sure but they seemed to be recovering. Apparently not this year. You are right, BUMMER !!

Hunting the wrong cover? Have good dogs? This is a very different year than last: Crops are almost entirely out, just got 8-10" snow up there, temps are lower... Need to adjust to the different conditions.

We just got back from that way and did very well (and have heard similar reports from others). All public land. Have not seen birds like that in 5 years or so. See them crawling all over the roads as well - like years ago.

I will say this past week would have been difficult without good dog work. Birds were holding extremely tight - you could step on them. Rarely flushed wild - needed to be kicked or pounced on by a dog. A few live birds were caught as well. Without dogs, you would likely walk right past them. But with good dogs it was a hoot - lots of close flushes and shots, and no runners in the snow.

My farmer buddy closer to Roscoe said they only saw 2 roosters over 2 weeks of harvesting corn and beans. They are very upset the birds appear to have completely disappeared. They told me not to come out, but I’ll be there anyway. If for no other reason than to say hi and walk the land.

There is a guy that know near Eureka that is having a good year. That probably does not help much, it may be something different in the way the land was managed this year.

My farmer buddy closer to Roscoe said they only saw 2 roosters over 2 weeks of harvesting corn and beans. They are very upset the birds appear to have completely disappeared. They told me not to come out, but I’ll be there anyway. If for no other reason than to say hi and walk the land.
I live near Roscoe and we are having a much better year than last year, We obviously work at it as it is a business.

I live near Roscoe and we are having a much better year than last year, We obviously work at it as it is a business.
Is a bunch of the crp baled up there ? I couldn't tell what was what with the snow cover. I couldn't find the birds for sure. I didn't work it that hard , there was a bunch of snow!

Haymaker, sounds like you aren’t aware of any weather events in the last 12 months that would cause a major pheasant kill. That’s good news and I will report what I encounter after my trip next week. Also hoping some water in the area opens back up for waterfowl.

Haymaker, sounds like you aren’t aware of any weather events in the last 12 months that would cause a major pheasant kill. That’s good news and I will report what I encounter after my trip next week. Also hoping some water in the area opens back up for waterfowl.
No I don't. It was a perfect year until we got dry in August. Hunting here is the best it has been in several years. The biggest problem with pheasant production is industrial ag.

I haven't hunted that area in several years. Hated to see all the bails of rotten hay from the past years of bailing still piled along buildings and roads. Each year they rot and get smaller is size. Its a drought!....We need more hay they say! Bailing and grazing was even allowed on some of the state ground. Sad deal. Birds still haven't recovered it sounds.

The group we hunted with this past week hunted Hosmer, SD about 25 minutes away from Eureka, SD opening weekend.
They killed 3 total birds. These guys are very experienced with good dogs. No birds up that way. We hunted with them and limited out in Central, SD 13 hunters / 39 Birds.

That hurts to see populations take a hit like that. A few years back, there was hail west of me a ways and it decimated the population. Slowly, things returned, but it takes time.

I was a junior in high school during the winter/spring of 1996/1997. Saw pheasants come up to eat out of the barnyard, which was like seeing a unicorn, and the next couple years I didn't hunt them as there literally was almost nothing for pheasants. 2004 I was with my cousin and a friend and flushed no less than 200 pheasants on a piece of public ground a few miles from my high school home. With the right habitat, they'll return.

Back