20more days

Campbell76

So there are 20 more day till opening day. I think im going NE for sure birds or not. Im taking my dog and nephew up there this coming weekend hopefully to just scout around and run the dog to see if he can find anything. Scouting WIHA will give me a better idea where to hit first before all the other hunters i guess. IM hopeful we might see one or 2 and maybe a covey. I know west is best lol but im not driving clear out there thats where most hunters will be. Anyone else heading NE or an i the only guy. Best of luck to everyone and hopefully better reports than the fish and game have given.

I usually don't do much on opening weekend, stay around home.
But I am really looking forward to getting the dogs out.

I am just hoping for decent "pheasant" hunting weather. Not short sleeve, sun tanning weather, but not a blizzard either.

Greg

I am just hoping for decent "pheasant" hunting weather. Not short sleeve, sun tanning weather, but not a blizzard either.

Greg

Me too Greg. My attitude about the sport has changed a lot over the years. I will be disappointed if I don't get to draw a bead on at least one rooster. I will be disappointed if my dogs don't get to work at least one covey of quail. HOWEVER, I'll be nothing short of pissy if the high-temp is above 60 degrees on the opener. I've had about all I can stand of that short-sleeve, sun-tanning weather on the opener.

Oh, and if it's not asking too much, can the dogs and I get a little precipitation to go along with our cooler temps?:D

Amen to that....some moisture would be nice for the dogs for scenting conditions. The dry, dusty conditions just suck:mad:

Heck, daytime temps in the 30s would be awesome!!

Greg

Good luck getting the highs in the 30's and snow. Its been along time since ive hunted in the snow for an opener.I think it was 95 that i can remember. Anyway good luck to all.

I will be moving to KC first 2 weeks of the season but the Boss Lady said I should take a couple of weeks and enjoy some hunting before looking for a new job. I am not going to argue with that. I will send out resumes and enjoy as many days hunting as I can.
Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

Well today i went up to some WIHA in NE Kansas. They have plenty of cover up there. Some of the cover i took a short walk through was 5 foot and thick. Didnt see any in there but if it gets cold and snowy i could see birds being in it. The bright side if there is any was i about ran over acovey of quail and we also seen about 30 hen turkeys on the same road. That got me and my nephews blood going with the hunting fever. The down side was no pheasants spotted:(. Anyway we will be going up there again for opening day in 2weeks.

Well today i went up to some WIHA in NE Kansas. They have plenty of cover up there. Some of the cover i took a short walk through was 5 foot and thick. Didnt see any in there but if it gets cold and snowy i could see birds being in it. The bright side if there is any was i about ran over acovey of quail and we also seen about 30 hen turkeys on the same road. That got me and my nephews blood going with the hunting fever. The down side was no pheasants spotted:(. Anyway we will be going up there again for opening day in 2weeks.

go quail hunting and if a rooster gets up that's just a bonus, heck I think a guy can do just as good in ne ks or nw mo for phez this year I will be making a few trips in ne ks drive 2 hrs instead of 5

I ran a field west of here this morning and managed to put up a couple of roosters. Its in an area the youth hunters hit pretty hard, but thats ok I hope they take a few.

12 days......and counting

I've got to get my plan together. I'm heading to SEK but just not exactly sure where down there yet.

I've got to get my plan together. I'm heading to SEK but just not exactly sure where down there yet.

I hate organizing and getting stuff togeather jack I am guy that throws stuff in the truck and goes but for a few days hunt you have to plan, I went to a preserve yesterday and was shooting my girlfriends 20 and I accidentally put 4 shells in I said dang that would have been nice game warden to check her gun for the plug and give her a ticket wow I am glad I found out by accident lol

I hate organizing and getting stuff togeather jack I am guy that throws stuff in the truck and goes but for a few days hunt you have to plan, I went to a preserve yesterday and was shooting my girlfriends 20 and I accidentally put 4 shells in I said dang that would have been nice game warden to check her gun for the plug and give her a ticket wow I am glad I found out by accident lol

Were you hunting in Kansas or Missouri? I bring my Missouri friends to Kansas and always have to break out the rule book to show that more than 3 shells really is legal for upland birds.

I went with them up to Bilby for the opener a few years ago. They asked if I had my plug in when we got to the hotel the night before. I asked what the heck for, we were pheasant hunting, not duck hunting. I called them liars, and then went to the hotel lobby and pulled Missouri DNR website up.

Then I found a plastic coat hanger and a hacksaw in my buddies toolbox......

Were you hunting in Kansas or Missouri? I bring my Missouri friends to Kansas and always have to break out the rule book to show that more than 3 shells really is legal for upland birds.

Is there really a legal amount of shells you can and cant have. The max shells in a gun that i have ever had is 6 in my Mossberg 500 pump but have seen on tv guys with guns having more than that.

in mo you have to have your plug in no more than 3, in ks you don't have to have your plug in let her rip baby but ks has more birds, doesn't it?:rolleyes:

OAP got the answer right-

Missouri is limited to 3 no matter if hunting migratory or upland. Didn't know that when I moved over here from Kansas.

Kansas upland is however much you want to carry.

Back