2024 Spring Turkey Hunt

I rarely use my blind.Heavy and you have to pack it in.

I've used my blind every turkey season since I started back in 2006. It provides me with the ability to move a little inside when I want to drink coffee, look through binoculars, or use a turkey call. Plus it keeps me dry when it rains. I have zero interest in sitting on the wet ground with the ticks rocking a ghillie suit and face paint like a statue for 5 hours on end.

The only downside is carrying it. But I set it up the day before I go hunting. I only turkey hunt on private land.

I've used my blind every turkey season since I started back in 2006. It provides me with the ability to move a little inside when I want to drink coffee, look through binoculars, or use a turkey call. Plus it keeps me dry when it rains. I have zero interest in sitting on the wet ground with the ticks rocking a ghillie suit and face paint like a statue for 5 hours on end.

The only downside is carrying it. But I set it up the day before I go hunting. I only turkey hunt on private land.
Yeah public land can be a circus. All kinds of boneheads.

I've never used a blind. I have and still will build a little something to cover my restless leg movement while I'm napping!

I've shot 5 turkeys. Three out of a blind, one walking down a game trail, and one hiding behind a barn.
I've procured 22 gobblers in 30 years of hunting. It is way more difficult than pheasant hunting. It took me 10 years to get half way good at it.I still make mistakes, and it's usually calling to much, or being impatient. I've dabbled in archery for 20 years.I don't hunt big game.

Just stumbled onto this thread - love turkey hunting! I was fortunate to shoot a big tom this spring in Minnesota the last weekend in April. I sat in a blind (like I do every year), and the highlight was watching three jakes attack my jake decoy the first morning! I was lucky enough to shoot a nice tom on the second morning.

Just stumbled onto this thread - love turkey hunting! I was fortunate to shoot a big tom this spring in Minnesota the last weekend in April. I sat in a blind (like I do every year), and the highlight was watching three jakes attack my jake decoy the first morning! I was lucky enough to shoot a nice tom on the second morning.
Congrats MN4! Was gonna reply to Gim regarding tents - I use one for archery or rain - the one I had weighed 16 lbs - so searched & found a lightweight Baronnett Hub blind - 8-9 lbs - think it’s a Prowler 200 - good time to buy one now during the off-season - if need be.
Hub blinds are great - just a bit noisy to set up/take down, so keep that in mind

BTW - This sale popped up at Rogers today -heck of a deal! I have one of these; ordered another today - a bit on the heavy side; but if you are setting your tent in advance; & hunting with two or more people - these chairs save space

Attachments

• Rogers Tent Chair 7 15 .jpg
    Rogers Tent Chair 7 15 .jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 13
One thing that took me several years to learn, is to stay in yhe woods as much as possible. Sometimes you have to go in the open, but that's when you get busted.I move around a lot, but staying in one place can work, if you can sit for hours.

Dog walk this morning. Lab flushed a mother turkey and 6 little ones out of the soybeans. They were about softball size and still light colored. Not very good at flying yet. Dog and I were both wide awake after that.

Dog walk this morning. Lab flushed a mother turkey and 6 little ones out of the soybeans. They were about softball size and still light colored. Not very good at flying yet. Dog and I were both wide awake after that.
Nice surprise! Had a similar experience on the golf course last week - two hens and 10-12 poults dropped down right in front of us - about the same size - great to see - especially with all the rain late spring/summer

Back