2024 opener

To be taken with a grain of salt because its an "average" statewide.

The areas I hunt are definitely later than usual but its been like that for 25 years there so maybe the time period there now is considered "normal."

Standing corn in December is a magnet for pheasants. That's the first thing I look for later in the season, proximity to food.

Corn went in late due to the wet/cold spring so the maturity date is later than normal and so is the start of harvest. But the exceptionally dry and warm Sept/Oct has the standing corn at moisture levels that can go directly into bins without drying which really speeds it up. Fields are dry and easy to get at so it is coming out at record speed.

Any report of blue green algae in the ponds? I’m sure it’s tempting to let the dog jump in to cool off but I believe that bg algae can be lethal.

Any report of blue green algae in the ponds? I’m sure it’s tempting to let the dog jump in to cool off but I believe that bg algae can be lethal.
There was some on various lakes during mid summer. Haven't seen any cause for concern on the sloughs I've duck hunted so far this fall though.

I always have an eye peeled for it. I didn't see any in september. This pond had some normal green grass. Back in southern MN last weekend the ponds I saw while hunting all looked good.

Attachments

• 20240925_081720.jpg
    20240925_081720.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 7
Back