2023 Trail Camera Pictures

I never get enough of those real wild world pictures, a day in the life of a young wild pheasant. I look forward to seeing them every summer. Thank you, keep them coming.

Always neat to see your pictures. I do wonder how many predations your blocks and corn piles are responsible for though? The coyote picture drives it home a little. At the last commission meeting it was presented that bait sites see a significant increase over natural predator densities and also shrink upland bird home ranges. While it is fun to watch what’s going on out there I’m hopeful the commission can get baiting banned in the near future. It would be a good step in helping the birds.

Always neat to see your pictures. I do wonder how many predations your blocks and corn piles are responsible for though? The coyote picture drives it home a little. At the last commission meeting it was presented that bait sites see a significant increase over natural predator densities and also shrink upland bird home ranges. While it is fun to watch what’s going on out there I’m hopeful the commission can get baiting banned in the near future. It would be a good step in helping the birds.
Scroll back through those pics and look at the background and not the blocks. That property has amazing habitat for all critters caught on camera that didn’t happen on accident. I say job well done and enjoy the spoils of your labor pheasantnut!

Scroll back through those pics and look at the background and not the blocks. That property has amazing habitat for all critters caught on camera that didn’t happen on accident. I say job well done and enjoy the spoils of your labor pheasantnut!
With amazing habitat, there would be no need to bait.

unless you want awesome photos of wildlife on a piece of private land, which I assume this is.
So we are not baiting for the benefit of wildlife but for the benefit of man and his ability to post on social media. Exactly why it needs to be banned. All that wildlife needs from man is the ability to not destroy habitat. Mother nature does the rest. Take the bait piles and the cameras and throw them away. Get out with a spotting scope or bino's and enjoy nature.

So we are not baiting for the benefit of wildlife but for the benefit of man and his ability to post on social media. Exactly why it needs to be banned. All that wildlife needs from man is the ability to not destroy habitat. Mother nature does the rest. Take the bait piles and the cameras and throw them away. Get out with a spotting scope or bino's and enjoy nature.
You feel this way for public and private land?

You feel this way for public and private land?
Yep private or public, all wildlife needs is quality habitat. Supplemental feeding provides no positives to wildlife, only negatives. Kansas has mild winters and food is everywhere. No need to concentrate them and make it easy for predators and to spread disease. Feeding them is nothing but Pavlov's Theory of Conditioning.

Yep private or public, all wildlife needs is quality habitat. Supplemental feeding provides no positives to wildlife, only negatives. Kansas has mild winters and food is everywhere. No need to concentrate them and make it easy for predators and to spread disease. Feeding them is nothing but Pavlov's Theory of Conditioning.
I agree with your stance on public land and that feeding doesn’t move the needle in the grand scheme of things. But some pics on private over a block just doesn’t bother me when it’s obvious so much is being done right, would actually make a great neighbor.

I agree with your stance on public land and that feeding doesn’t move the needle in the grand scheme of things. But some pics on private over a block just doesn’t bother me when it’s obvious so much is being done right, would actually make a great neighbor.
There is also a corn feeder. Feeding for pics or feeding for hunting purposes, it's not a positive for wildlife. Concentrating different species to a very small area is a lose lose.

I certainly have admired the habitat and can appreciate the work involved. The reality is that for every PheasantNut there are dozens of landowners who do nothing for their habitat, yet allow baiting. This isn’t a private/public lands debate. Wildlife are a public resource. The department can’t force landowners to implement this level of habitat work and they can’t do much about predator management outside of lengthening seasons. Landowners and hunters still have to want to put forth the effort. Most don’t unfortunately. Baiting laws are within their jurisdiction and they’re beginning to realize banning it could be a real positive for a number of species across the state. Like WestKS said, with habitat such as PheasantNut’s bait only serves human interests. The wildlife don’t need it, and many are suffering due to its presence.

Back