2023 Season

Got back from 3 days hunting over the weekend and figured I'd give a report. Didn't see a ton of other hunters but they were out there, other than yesterday. I didn't see a soul yesterday, assuming the snow and wind out west kept people home.

I didn't bag a ton of birds but I sure saw a lot. All together, I saw probably close to 100 birds over the weekend. But man they are flighty. Every spot I hunted I saw birds, yesterday morning I kicked up close to 50 birds at one WMA. Should have bagged one but I forgot how to shoot apparently. As always was great to get out and I'm already itching to get back out there.
Looks like a really nice bird you got!

Nice report. Those birds have been chased for 6+ weeks now. I still like to see the grass open for a pointing dog to do their thing a bit longer. I will take a dusting of snow for tracking, but the deep stuff can wait a bit longer.

Here is a photo of my oldest Brittany (now mostly retired at almost 14 years old) ... we joke we should DNA test her to see if she has a little munsterlander in her gene pool.

View attachment 6696
She sure is a pretty one! I love the fur colors.

It was killing me, but I hardly got out over thanksgiving. Finally Sunday in the wind would be my one chance. I was hunting all private land an hour south of the cities, not to say it's great cover, but there's usually a handful around. The first spot is a solid circle of cattails, 8 acres, with just a thin strip of grass around it, not much buffer here. The middle is solid cattails, not much for water in it. I was walking the edge and dipping in just a bit when there was an opening or deer trail. Of course when I poked in about 5 yards a rooster flushed off to my left in the grass, I took one shot and missed, did not shoot again because he was way out over the middle of it and didn't want to chance a runner in that tall stuff so far out. We got back on the edge and the dog ran into the cattails shortly thereafter and was on one! I was ready this time when the hen popped out:cautious:. No other birds flushed here. I'm sure there were some in the cattails, but I had a few other spots and didn't want to burn all my time up in the jungle. We got in the truck for a very short drive to another spot and the dog was hacking a little bit. We got out at the next spot and Skye kept eating snow and grass. When we hit the grass she was hunting, but would still stop to eat snow every chance we could. Ten minutes later she was dry heaving and bile came out of her mouth a few times. I stopped and looked in her mouth and couldn't see anything in there. She was shaking like a leaf and I got nervous, what could be wrong with her? She did take a few bathroom breaks out there and everything was normal there. I was just coming up to the golden hour, but we went back to the truck and drove home, cutting the hunt short. Thankfully she seemed better that night, maybe just an upset stomach. She wouldn't take water in the field either. Back home she ate dinner and drank water. Mainly I'm just glad it wasn't anything serious. I hope to be out all next weekend.

It was killing me, but I hardly got out over thanksgiving. Finally Sunday in the wind would be my one chance. I was hunting all private land an hour south of the cities, not to say it's great cover, but there's usually a handful around. The first spot is a solid circle of cattails, 8 acres, with just a thin strip of grass around it, not much buffer here. The middle is solid cattails, not much for water in it. I was walking the edge and dipping in just a bit when there was an opening or deer trail. Of course when I poked in about 5 yards a rooster flushed off to my left in the grass, I took one shot and missed, did not shoot again because he was way out over the middle of it and didn't want to chance a runner in that tall stuff so far out. We got back on the edge and the dog ran into the cattails shortly thereafter and was on one! I was ready this time when the hen popped out:cautious:. No other birds flushed here. I'm sure there were some in the cattails, but I had a few other spots and didn't want to burn all my time up in the jungle. We got in the truck for a very short drive to another spot and the dog was hacking a little bit. We got out at the next spot and Skye kept eating snow and grass. When we hit the grass she was hunting, but would still stop to eat snow every chance we could. Ten minutes later she was dry heaving and bile came out of her mouth a few times. I stopped and looked in her mouth and couldn't see anything in there. She was shaking like a leaf and I got nervous, what could be wrong with her? She did take a few bathroom breaks out there and everything was normal there. I was just coming up to the golden hour, but we went back to the truck and drove home, cutting the hunt short. Thankfully she seemed better that night, maybe just an upset stomach. She wouldn't take water in the field either. Back home she ate dinner and drank water. Mainly I'm just glad it wasn't anything serious. I hope to be out all next weekend.
Maybe whatever she was eating got caught/stuck in her mouth? Had a pup once get a small stick stuck in the roof of her mouth. Kept opening her mouth and looking and didn’t see anything until the last time when she turned her head and I could see it stuck up there.

I had a Britt get a rose stick (torns and all) stuck in his throat. Why he tried to swallow that I will never know. Rushed him to the vet and that is what they found ...

I had another Britt that had a stick actually puncture the back of her throat - I suppose while running ... it became infected. She kept coughing so I brought her into the Vet. He said without antibiotics the infection could have killed her.c

Bird dogs are high-performance athletes running on rugged and unpredictable terrain.

I pheasant hunt for my dogs and not for myself. :unsure: Well not quite true, but darn close. Shooting birds is just an added bonus and well when you miss and you get that look ...

The dogs probably have little idea about the weather, the location, the quarry, etc... until they are out there. They adapt and go.

Today was a great day to be out. Was out pretty much all day. I was wearing just a t-shirt this afternoon but dog stayed nice and cool with just a bit of snow on the ground.
Nothing to show for it, but my springer did great and worked her ass off. It’s amazing how 35-40 lb dog can bust cattails and go in the nastiest stuff fearless for hours on end. I just listen and watch the tops move.
She seems to prefer flushing hens more than roosters though haha. But what a blast watching your dog work its butt off for you.

Still learning the upland game with my year old pup. Tuesday morning my son and I hunted 30 mins south of the metro in a heavily hunted wma. We were able to flush 3 hens and 3 roosters for an 1 hour hunt. Poor shooting resulting to only 1 rooster but we are enjoying our pup work the birds. Today went back for the evening hunt, the pup and and a buddies dog flushed over a dozen hens and 5 roosters. We got 3 out of the five. Should have been an easy evening limit but again, watching the pup work is a sight that’s worth more than any bird. All the hard work from spring through summer is paying off. Looking for more adventures with our young pup.

Still learning the upland game with my year old pup. Tuesday morning my son and I hunted 30 mins south of the metro in a heavily hunted wma. We were able to flush 3 hens and 3 roosters for an 1 hour hunt. Poor shooting resulting to only 1 rooster but we are enjoying our pup work the birds. Today went back for the evening hunt, the pup and and a buddies dog flushed over a dozen hens and 5 roosters. We got 3 out of the five. Should have been an easy evening limit but again, watching the pup work is a sight that’s worth more than any bird. All the hard work from spring through summer is paying off. Looking for more adventures with our young pup.
Wow great hunt and good dog work. Lots of pressure around this area.

Wow great hunt and good dog work. Lots of pressure around this area.
I would have thought no hunters on the weekdays and both days we hunted, several people were out. Most of the easier access fields had vehicles. But the nice thing so far about pheasant hunting is the respect and etiquette I’ve seen compare to gun deer season. With the cold nights, the shallower swamps were iced up so that made it easier to hunt the cattails which where we saw all the birds.

Just got back from the days hunt. Should have had 5 for the two of us, but settled for 2. Found a cripple but the dogs couldn’t stay on it, that was unfortunate. Shot one and needed a follow up but my gun jammed. It had strong wings and flew off with no intention of going down. That one was odd because the shell ejected and a new one was in the chamber, but the trigger didn’t click. Not sure what to think about that. Last light “nailed” a rooster at 20 yards and it crumpled. Watched it hit the ground and bounce off its back, then hit the ground for good. Walk up to no bird. We searched till it was dark. I clearly didn’t center the pattern or it would have been dead. The dog got on it but it had too strong of legs and got away in the thick thick blown over cats. Not happy with my showing today. 2 of my own cripples just isn’t acceptable. It happens, but it sucks. Good bird action all around, lots of hens. New pup really put on a show today.

Dogs have been on fire the last few hunts, recovering birds I thought I had no chance at finding. Open field tackles on crippled runners, near blind retrieves across the slough, dead birds tucked under cattails woven so tight I can't see the dogs even when Garmin says they're 3 ft away. Sometimes I stop and ask myself what I did to deserve hunting partners who work so hard and ask for so little. The answer is: nothing, I don't deserve it. But I'll take it.

Attachments

• ZizThreePack.jpg
    ZizThreePack.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • FenRooster.jpg
    FenRooster.jpg
    726.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I'm up just thinking about the weekend hunt. A buddy called and asked if he could come Saturday and I said for sure. We hunted from 9am until sunset. The first spot we saw 5 or 6 roosters, but they were flushing just out of range. Not 100 yards out, but say 50-60 yards out, so no shots fired. I was honestly surprised we saw that many because it's not a big spot. It's private land open to public hunting, so I'm not sure the pressure it gets. I've only ever seen one other group rooster hunt it. Next small spot dogs flushed one hen. 3rd spot I'd been eyeing up, so we tried it for the first time. The dogs hit a scent, and the young one went down a wooded hill out of sight. I was trying to keep an eye on my buddy and both dogs, when all of a sudden the young dog flushed a rooster. I took a long shot at him going away, which I shouldn't have even taken. Off he flew. Later on the same property walking some short cattails a rooster flushed and me and my buddy both missed him at about 30 yards:confused:. Not a good feeling. We hunted one more public spot and saw nothing. I called in my private land card and got the green light. Driving in there was a rooster on the side of the driveway. If this was south dakota with an uncased gun in the truck he might have been done. We walked the property and flushed a pile of hens, which is good. We flushed two roosters. One I didn't shoot at on my discretion of his direction of flight and chance of recovery. The second we both shot at, knocked off feathers, and he flew off into the slough battered. Unfortunately I doubt he made it. Thin ice made our recovery efforts futile. Sunday I slept in (9:30) and was surprised the dogs hadn't waken me earlier. I think they were tired too. I was debating running to Iowa but decided against with deer opening weekend. We hung out at the cabin taking it easy. Finally I figured we better get out, so I headed off to hunt some private land spots I've yet to hit this year. The first one I've tried twice and never seen a bird. It looks good and I scratch my head as to why I don't see a few. After hunting 45 minutes I bulled my way through a thick mix of canary grass(which is bad) and forbes(which are good). A rooster flushed unexpectedly on my right and I got him. Even though he was on the ground not moving, I always let the dogs get the retrieve. I figure it's the least I can do with how hard they work out in the field. A little while later another rooster flushed in the same cover and I missed him twice. That was my weekend in MN. I got one rooster, and really happy to have him. I've yet to get a 3 bird limit in MN, excluding the time I shot 3 in early season party hunting. I think I learned some things this weekend, and hope I am still improving. Even today a friend asked, "are you done hunting for the year?" No I am not. I'm hard headed and as long as the season is open I will go, regardless of bird numbers, chance of success, or access to private property. Thanks everyone for your posts here, I always enjoy reading them. Skye is in the picture, Roxy was busy drinking out of frame from the water hole.

P.S. I think he was a second year bird. He only had one spur, it was black with a little white on the tip. A beautiful bird in flight.
20231203_161753.jpg

I'm up just thinking about the weekend hunt. A buddy called and asked if he could come Saturday and I said for sure. We hunted from 9am until sunset. The first spot we saw 5 or 6 roosters, but they were flushing just out of range. Not 100 yards out, but say 50-60 yards out, so no shots fired. I was honestly surprised we saw that many because it's not a big spot. It's private land open to public hunting, so I'm not sure the pressure it gets. I've only ever seen one other group rooster hunt it. Next small spot dogs flushed one hen. 3rd spot I'd been eyeing up, so we tried it for the first time. The dogs hit a scent, and the young one went down a wooded hill out of sight. I was trying to keep an eye on my buddy and both dogs, when all of a sudden the young dog flushed a rooster. I took a long shot at him going away, which I shouldn't have even taken. Off he flew. Later on the same property walking some short cattails a rooster flushed and me and my buddy both missed him at about 30 yards:confused:. Not a good feeling. We hunted one more public spot and saw nothing. I called in my private land card and got the green light. Driving in there was a rooster on the side of the driveway. If this was south dakota with an uncased gun in the truck he might have been done. We walked the property and flushed a pile of hens, which is good. We flushed two roosters. One I didn't shoot at on my discretion of his direction of flight and chance of recovery. The second we both shot at, knocked off feathers, and he flew off into the slough battered. Unfortunately I doubt he made it. Thin ice made our recovery efforts futile. Sunday I slept in (9:30) and was surprised the dogs hadn't waken me earlier. I think they were tired too. I was debating running to Iowa but decided against with deer opening weekend. We hung out at the cabin taking it easy. Finally I figured we better get out, so I headed off to hunt some private land spots I've yet to hit this year. The first one I've tried twice and never seen a bird. It looks good and I scratch my head as to why I don't see a few. After hunting 45 minutes I bulled my way through a thick mix of canary grass(which is bad) and forbes(which are good). A rooster flushed unexpectedly on my right and I got him. Even though he was on the ground not moving, I always let the dogs get the retrieve. I figure it's the least I can do with how hard they work out in the field. A little while later another rooster flushed in the same cover and I missed him twice. That was my weekend in MN. I got one rooster, and really happy to have him. I've yet to get a 3 bird limit in MN, excluding the time I shot 3 in early season party hunting. I think I learned some things this weekend, and hope I am still improving. Even today a friend asked, "are you done hunting for the year?" No I am not. I'm hard headed and as long as the season is open I will go, regardless of bird numbers, chance of success, or access to private property. Thanks everyone for your posts here, I always enjoy reading them. Skye is in the picture, Roxy was busy drinking out of frame from the water hole.

P.S. I think he was a second year bird. He only had one spur, it was black with a little white on the tip. A beautiful bird in flight.
View attachment 6772
Enjoyed the write up, I’m in the same boat as well. But still lots of season left and weather looks good.

I don't know what changed from Saturday to Sunday, but something did. We hunted some of the same spots Sunday, plus a lot of new to me spots. 9 miles hiked. We tried shelter belts, seas of thin cattails, seas of thick thick cattails, short grass transitions, long grass transitions, and everything in-between. We saw two birds crossing the road, 8 hens, and one rooster that flushed 100yd out. What a slog.

I got 2 on Friday but I was unable to get that third rooster. I missed a couple that I probably should have had. I raised 21 total at 4 spots, including one area that had 8 hens. I also bumped up 7 deer. All the water has frozen solid now and makes for much easier walking in swamps and across ditches. Feels weird hunting out there in December without any snow on the ground.

Attachments

• 12-1-23 roosters.jpg
    12-1-23 roosters.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 3
Warm weather for December and zero snow makes for a good late season hunt. I haven’t seen much of a decrease of public hunters so far.

Joined the MN Backcountry Hunters and Anglers Pheasant hunter yesterday in New London, pretty slow going. Great looking habitat in that area, saw 1 hen and 1 rooster all day in our smaller group.

I don't know what changed from Saturday to Sunday, but something did. We hunted some of the same spots Sunday, plus a lot of new to me spots. 9 miles hiked. We tried shelter belts, seas of thin cattails, seas of thick thick cattails, short grass transitions, long grass transitions, and everything in-between. We saw two birds crossing the road, 8 hens, and one rooster that flushed 100yd out. What a slog.
Probably the hunting pressure on Saturday took its toll and so Sunday was a tougher day.

Back