2021 Season

I went on Friday afternoon for a couple hours in central MN and took home a couple roosters. It was a glorious day to hunt. Honestly even if I didn't get a shot at one, I still would have enjoyed it. One spot had a nice covey of about 15 birds. Unfortunately they were all getting up on the other side of the tree line/fence line, so I couldn't shoot at them by myself. Luckily a couple of single dummies got up in front of me and they were easy shots.

Has anyone noticed how bone dry it is out there? I think my dog is having some trouble scenting some of these birds because of the super dry conditions. Every time I take a step on dirt, the dust flies up. Every ditch is completely dry. Every patch of cattails is completely dry too. We are going to need an epic amount of moisture this winter to make up for the drought.
Yes, we need about 3 inches of wet snow to freshen everything up - not too much yet, gotta make some ice still. I see plenty of water in the potholes yet where I have been, but we definitely need more

2021 continues to not disappoint. My daughter's boyfriend invited us out to their farm (30 minute drive). He doesn't hunt much but knows prime habitat for sure. These four made the mistake of sitting tight for my two vizslas, a fifth also made the same mistake but lived to fight the battle another day. Many, many more much smarter ones flushed early. As I type this, it is snowing steady. Can't say I missed the snow except for hunting. I think this will only bode well for the us for the next month. Staying home tomorrow and with the next three day hunting trip starting next Sunday. Looking forward to driving a few hours away and hunting some of the ground I grew up hunting.04E2372D-C518-405A-BF83-E03DA066D4BC.jpeg

see apex predators above

I went out yesterday morning, we got about 3 inched of snow Saturday night, so I was hoping to find some birds that would hold tight. I hit a local WMA as the the first 3 spots had hunters in them. As we get started, My shorthair goes on point in some willows along a small pond with cattails on the water (ice) side. I got through the willows to the cattails and the rooster flushed about ten yards to the right going hard left. I pull up and stone him and he hits the ice and slides about 25 yds on the ice till he hit the cattails on the other side! The dog retrieves the bird and we continue on. I work out of the willows to solid ground but my gsp decides to go back to where the bird flew up. He scared the crap out of me as soon as I whistle him back to me he falls through the ice! He struggled for a minute trying to get pulled out, as I ran back to him. Luckily he got himself out be for I had to get wet!! We got one more who held that held for a point, I only winged it as it flew through some birch. Thankful for the snow to help track it and to get my dog on the trail as he didn’t see it flush.We caught it in some cattails about 250 yds from where we started. Saw a few more that flushed wild. Checked a few more spots on the way home but all had hunters. So far I’ve had a good year!

I went out yesterday morning, we got about 3 inched of snow Saturday night, so I was hoping to find some birds that would hold tight. I hit a local WMA as the the first 3 spots had hunters in them. As we get started, My shorthair goes on point in some willows along a small pond with cattails on the water (ice) side. I got through the willows to the cattails and the rooster flushed about ten yards to the right going hard left. I pull up and stone him and he hits the ice and slides about 25 yds on the ice till he hit the cattails on the other side! The dog retrieves the bird and we continue on. I work out of the willows to solid ground but my gsp decides to go back to where the bird flew up. He scared the crap out of me as soon as I whistle him back to me he falls through the ice! He struggled for a minute trying to get pulled out, as I ran back to him. Luckily he got himself out be for I had to get wet!! We got one more who held that held for a point, I only winged it as it flew through some birch. Thankful for the snow to help track it and to get my dog on the trail as he didn’t see it flush.We caught it in some cattails about 250 yds from where we started. Saw a few more that flushed wild. Checked a few more spots on the way home but all had hunters. So far I’ve had a good year!
Glad to hear he got back out of the broken ice. A few years back I had to wade out to pull out a dog that broke through and water was too deep for it to get back on top. Not a lot of fun being soaked on freezing temps

Went out on Saturday. I didn't have a ton of time because of coaching requirements later in the afternoon. The first three spots I was looking at all had hunters. Fourth was a charm. Got out and didn't see anything most of the walk. It was a mix of cattails, wooded areas, and grass. Finally cornered some birds that flushed at around 60 yards. looked to be 4 hens and 3 roosters. No shots fired. Made my way back didn't see another bird. Drove by three other spots that were filled with hunters. Second piece was nice cover it looked to have been burned earlier in the year. It looked birdy. Didn't see anything except one hen that got up wild. I did see one other really nice rooster along the road by a house. That was it for the day.

Sunday brought more excitement. It also had some pretty poor shooting in the wind. Got up a solo rooster about 5 minutes in. My Braque pointed it and my cousin missed it. He didn't hit the pump hard enough and didn't get a second shot. Bird got up about 15' from him. Second rooster got up between us and it didn't meet the same fate the other did. pushed along and got another rooster up that flew up high and hit the jet stream leaving our shots behind the target. It was embarrassing but at least we were seeing birds. pinched the corner on the CRP and one more rooster got up. I hit him on a going away shot and he landed in a cut corn field and took off running. My Braque was hot on it and it ran into the grass fenceline. She made a cast down wind and came back to the bird pinching it between us. The rooster decided to run for it and it was game on. Pretty fun to see the speed of those birds when running from a dog. in the end it ended up in my bag. Had two more shots at birds on some tough shots but didn't connect. Saw 5 hens on the day and they were all bunched in one spot. Overall it was a great day to be out.

I was surprised by how many hunters were out on Saturday. I saw more hunters than birds.

He scared the crap out of me as soon as I whistle him back to me he falls through the ice! He struggled for a minute trying to get pulled out, as I ran back to him. Luckily he got himself out be for I had to get wet!!
This is the time of year to be a little bit careful and mindful of the potential rooster landing spots after some shots.. it doesn't take much ice to hold a dog, but there's not much out there some days right now.

It has been a decent season. Out and about mostly myself I have averaged 1 - 2 birds per trip with almost no 0s. A couple zeros were shooting (me) and not birds (dogs). My son has been busy so I often take shorter trips closer to home and hunt just me and the dogs. Most people I know are not interested in a half day mid-week to see a couple birds and a shot at one or two. Most are also not interested in many all day trips to Western MN where the drive is 3 hours each way.

I missed a few early season (different thread), but I have now killed and recovered nearly every bird flushed (over point) in range. Dogs are doing well.

Last edited:
I will add ... not really seeing that many birds ... dogs just pinning the one or two opportunities that occur each time out.

I went on Saturday afternoon for a couple hours and got a pair of roosters. I couldn't get a third. I didn't see as many I had the previous couple of outings though.

I did see something that I haven't seen in about 15 years though: another pheasant hunter. The first spot I pulled up to had 3 guys walking the far side in orange with a dog. I couldn't believe it. I watched them for a few minutes and then went to the next spot.

We got about 1-2 inches of snow this week so far with potentially more coming on Friday so my next hunt will be in the fresh snow.

Got out this afternoon for a short hunt. Hit a WMA near home. Had several points and relocating but all the birds ran out into nearby private ground. I could see how it was playing out by watching tracks in the snow as my dog was working the scent. In the last patch of willows as we turned back to the truck my dog went on point again and finally after about a 100yd trail he finally pinned it down. Problem was he was on the other side of an open water ditch and the nearest point for me to cross was about 50 yards away. He was only about five yards away, I yelled, threw snow balls, sticks and it finally gave up and flew after what felt like an hour. Needless to say I was happy I made the shot after the work the dog put in! Public birds will give a dog an education!!!

Attachments

• 481EB963-40C8-4094-9E25-595E08BAE0EA.jpeg
    481EB963-40C8-4094-9E25-595E08BAE0EA.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 11
W
Got out this afternoon for a short hunt. Hit a WMA near home. Had several points and relocating but all the birds ran out into nearby private ground. I could see how it was playing out by watching tracks in the snow as my dog was working the scent. In the last patch of willows as we turned back to the truck my dog went on point again and finally after about a 100yd trail he finally pinned it down. Problem was he was on the other side of an open water ditch and the nearest point for me to cross was about 50 yards away. He was only about five yards away, I yelled, threw snow balls, sticks and it finally gave up and flew after what felt like an hour. Needless to say I was happy I made the shot after the work the dog put in! Public birds will give a dog an education!!!
Where is your pup outta? Looks a lot like mine

Attachments

• 38900876-C6BD-48C8-8610-A2FC37B2AA65.jpeg
    38900876-C6BD-48C8-8610-A2FC37B2AA65.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
Cosmo and I had an awesome hunt in the fresh snow on Saturday. We raised over 40 birds and bagged 3 roosters. Luckily the area I hunt only received 2 inches of snow, so walking was still easy.

Attachments

• 12-11-21 roosters.jpg
    12-11-21 roosters.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 17
I get just as excited as everyone for opening day, but im pretty sure the dog like the last month. Days are drawing slim. Time to burn up that comp and some vacation, pry have a cough for a couple days to.

Attachments

• 20211219_103620.jpg
    20211219_103620.jpg
    866.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Snapchat-204752762.jpg
    Snapchat-204752762.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20211209_213320_980.jpg
    IMG_20211209_213320_980.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20211209_213321_061.jpg
    IMG_20211209_213321_061.jpg
    427.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 20211203_124258.jpg
    20211203_124258.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 22
Got out today just as the snow quit. I was heading to a small WMA but as I passed a WPA, I saw two roosters in some willows near the road. Plan was too just park down the road and take the edge back to the willows to see if I could get one and then head to the WMA. I let the dog out and was getting vest on and gun loaded when he goes on point twenty yards from the truck. The birds ran through the willows and flushed wild. So we started working towards the birds I saw from the road. More birds boil out a head of us, did get a couple nice points on hens. Never did get to the birds by the road as I just started following the dog. We worked the willow patches and ended up with 3 roosters that held for points. Saw or heard a 25 birds and 10 were roosters.

Attachments

• 8C518DA5-3879-41C6-AC92-18D728404AA2.jpeg
    8C518DA5-3879-41C6-AC92-18D728404AA2.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
The birds ran through the willows and flushed wild.
The birds are extremely skittish now. Even on private land where they haven't been overly pressured. The last couple trips I have planned before the season there will be a new tactic. I normally go in quietly from the same direction (into the wind). Well I'm gonna try going in the opposite way next time. Maybe that will catch them off guard.

I got out last weekend and it wasn't a great weekend bird wise. I kicked up alot of hens but only a few roosters that out smarted me. I dropped one in some cattails about 15 minutes before legal shooting ended on Sunday and could never find it. I looked until dark and had to give up which made the rest of my walk useless since it was last legal shooting. It will likely be my last hunt of the year sadly which sucks to end on such a sour note.

I went on Thursday for a couple hours and did real good. I hunted three spots and raised about 30 birds total, going home with my 3 roosters. The second spot had about 20 birds. I could see all the tracks in the fresh snow on the field edge when I pulled up so I knew there was a nice covey around.

The last spot presented an interesting situation. I parked on the field, loaded my gun, and started walking towards a tree line/fence line with the dog. I looked up and at the far end I saw 2 deer running out. Well they must have spooked a rooster because it was flying right at me. A volunteer! It just kept coming, and when it flew over me I dumped it for my limit. Didn't even have to hunt that spot.

There is some measurable snow in the forecast this week and I would like to go at least one more time so hopefully the snow doesn't get too deep.

Attachments

• 12-23-21 roosters.jpg
    12-23-21 roosters.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 7
Cookie last hunt of 21.jpg
This will probably be my last hunt of 2021. Due to work and other family stuff. I wanted to make sure I got my old girl out one last time and this will most likely be it for her hunting excursions. She is 14 but still loves it. Went out for a quick 2 hrs and saw well over 40 birds. The wind was really whipping which made for tough shooting. Birds were late season sneaky in some places, but others held tight. If this was it for Cookie it was an amazing day. Dogs are such a huge part of our lives and they go too quickly. Of the 5 we shot she pointed 4 of them.

Back