2021 Pheasant Hunting Videos

Great video. Keep up the good work. I'm learning from you working this "thin" grass. Well maybe not thin, but short and it's always nice to be able to watch a flushing dog work, even if you have to run after them at times.
Thanks! I took some flak for the running, which was a bit more extensive on this day. I suppose I could edit it out and make my hunts look a bit more refined, but that isn't the truth of the hunt and all I care about is having that footage of Sage doing her thing, even if it isn't textbook. That first spot was very thin and not a very good place for pheasants to hide. But they do like to loaf there before they head back out for supper.

As the season progresses, I'll spend more time in the cattails and I could probably find more pheasants if I directed our focus there now, but to be able to watch the dog work up until the flush is what really gets me excited and, naturally, that's what I find myself focusing on.

Hunting pheasants on Christmas Eve is a tradition and a present to myself. No matter how much the ladies in my life roll their eyes. I hunt the same way, only my dog yellow lab is 8 years old, so it is more methodical. Those slo we motion shots are really nice. I have some videos on my phone, but they won't post.

Poor shooting, etc., but there were more than enough birds that we ended up with three.

another great video GH! Thanks for sharing, Sage is one fine hunting machine, and you a fine shot. I find myself waiting for your next one!

another great video GH! Thanks for sharing, Sage is one fine hunting machine, and you a fine shot. I find myself waiting for your next one!
Thanks! Sage is a good hunter, but I’m not so sure about the shooter, lol.

Hope to get out tomorrow, for sure Monday. With any luck, I’ll have some footage to upload later next week.

A public land hunt from this past Saturday. Yes, I know my dog and I both are far from perfect, but we have a pretty fantastic time putting roosters in the vest.

GH: Curious...what size shell do you typically shoot? 12 ga? Love your videos and the dog work. Sage covers a lot of real estate!

GH: Curious...what size shell do you typically shoot? 12 ga? Love your videos and the dog work. Sage covers a lot of real estate!
I shot 3” #2 all season long, steel, Federal Black Cloud. It’s also what I use for waterfowl. It’s been a good fit for me between knockdown power and pattern density.

Thanks for the kind words!

Good videos GH, love you leaving thre natural sounds and not pounding music. The shot cam is great too. I think I mensioned last year to maybe try a more open choke and those first shots will be killers, with the prices of ammo now, worth considering!

Thanks for the quick respond.

I think I've been vastly under-powered with my 20 GA and not so heavy shells;time to make a change for the late winter hunt.

Yes, sorry I forgot to add that. 12 gauge Franchi Affinity 3.5
What choke are you using? I just bought a Franchi Affinity 3. Yardage is hard to tell on the GoPro but roughly what is the edge of range on some of these shots?
By the way enjoy your videos. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
What choke are you using? I just bought a Franchi Affinity 3. Yardage is hard to tell on the GoPro but roughly what is the edge of range on some of these shots?
By they way enjoy your videos. Thanks for sharing.
I was going to ask the same question regards chokes...

You an Sage do good videos. She gets after the phez almost as hard as my lab. She fixed? Thinking of finding a bitch to do the deed with Benny. I want a pup of course.

By the way enjoy your videos. Thanks for sharing.

Carlson Cremator - Mid Range

It's been my first season with it, but have been happy with the pattern.

I cannot recommend the GoPro enough. Having those moments saved on video is well worth the hassle of dealing with the camera/batteries. Especially on a bird like that one, where I had no idea he ran out, just about got stomped on and then flushed. Hopefully you'll start and share your exploits. It's fun to see the infinite habitats and scenarios that hunting pheasants presents.
Great video.
Had a 4 but my son liked it better than I did. Just got a 10.
Just curious, what are you using to edit -Quik?
Any recommendations to decrease wind noise?
Thanks. Hopefully I'll have some video to share in a couple of weeks if the weather holds in SD.

Great video.
Had a 4 but my son liked it better than I did. Just got a 10.
Just curious, what are you using to edit -Quik?
Any recommendations to decrease wind noise?
Thanks. Hopefully I'll have some video to share in a couple of weeks if the weather holds in SD.

I use Adobe Premiere Pro to edit. Kinda spendy, but limitless options.

I have my "wind" setting on the GoPro set to auto and have a small piece of foam covering the front mic. I cut little strips of double sided tape and lined them around the front mic.

The downside of GoPro is that they are not very good in cold weather. Much like all electronics. I failed to capture some pretty awesome footage this weekend, however, I have the memory.

Best of luck and I hope to see some footage!

Back