2020 season gun jams

Bob Peters

Just out of curiosity how many times did your gun jam this hunting season? Mine jammed twice, once on my first hunt of the year and once on my last hunt of the year. The gun is a fabarm initial hunter. I also hunted with a benelli M2. That thing hasn't had a jam in years.

I'm going to say zero. I don't remember any. I still have two weeks to hunt quail in Oklahoma. The possibility is still there. I hunt with Browning gold's, 20 guage upland and 12 guage waterfowl.

Last edited:
I shot almost all roosters with a Sweet 16 (new) A5 and Winchester SuperX 1 1/8 oz. #6's. No malfunctions of any kind. Used Bismuth on the ducks.

Zero, I do give it a quick cleaning every box of shells or so. Longshot isn't particulally clean. Rem 11-87

Zero. I use a Benelli Montrefeltro.

Come to think of it, I can’t recall a single jam in the 15 years that I have owned it.

I do take maticulous care of it though and Benelli’s inertia driven system is quite reliable.

No jams using Franchi Affinity 3 twenty gauge, Browning Maxus 12 gauge, and no malfunctions using my Browning Citori or either one of my CZ over/unders.

My go-to pheasant shotguns are a Browning Citori and a Winchester SX4, along with a Browning BPS 3.5" (my go-to waterfowl shotgun that occasionally get pressed into service for upland) and several Remington 870s. I probably take the Citori 40% of the time, the SX4 50% (usually start using the SX4 in Nov when the conditions start to turn), and the pumps split the remaining 10%. My wife hunts exclusively with a Beretta A300. Neither of us had a jam, hang up, or misfire with any of them. In fact, I can't ever recall an issue with any of them, other than a rare short-stroke with the BPS when hunting geese with 3.5" shells.

I will advise that after each outing or clay bird session, whatever shotguns we used gets wiped down, the bore(s) snaked, and quick inspection. Once a week during hunting season, usually Sunday afternoon, I break down the shotguns we used that week and thoroughly inspect, clean, & lube them.

The Citori and pumps are pretty much bulletproof, but I firmly believe the regular inspection & maintenance of the autos is why we've never had an issue with them. Personally, I find cleaning weapons relaxing and therapeutic, not a necessary chore. Have every since I was first issued a 1911 45ACP and M-16 when I was in the Army post-Vietnam...

Last edited:
Got a new Remington Versamax last pheasant season (2019). Worked great through about 4 boxes of shells and then started up with cycling issues jamming open. Was a dusty/dirty year so I cleaned it and still had a few jams. Worked on it over the past summer with following the many sites dealing with some of these having that problem. Action spring upgrade and full cleaning got it working sometimes at the range but out in the field this season, it just moved the cycling issue to the ejection phase. Finally admitted defeat and looked up warranty info after SD pheasant opener, never thinking any gun company would have any issues with all the guns being sold the past couple years.

I see some semblance of Remington long guns coming back together as a company after the bankruptcy. Their workers went the extra mile with the warranty guns they already had in their shop for repairs once they got back after being locked out.

What do the think the over/under odds of me getting warranty service on my rem automatic? Or should I automatically go back to using an over/under? Not really pumped up about the situation I've found myself in with Remington.

Got a new Remington Versamax last pheasant season (2019). Worked great through about 4 boxes of shells and then started up with cycling issues jamming open. Was a dusty/dirty year so I cleaned it and still had a few jams. Worked on it over the past summer with following the many sites dealing with some of these having that problem. Action spring upgrade and full cleaning got it working sometimes at the range but out in the field this season, it just moved the cycling issue to the ejection phase. Finally admitted defeat and looked up warranty info after SD pheasant opener, never thinking any gun company would have any issues with all the guns being sold the past couple years.

I see some semblance of Remington long guns coming back together as a company after the bankruptcy. Their workers went the extra mile with the warranty guns they already had in their shop for repairs once they got back after being locked out.

What do the think the over/under odds of me getting warranty service on my rem automatic? Or should I automatically go back to using an over/under? Not really pumped up about the situation I've found myself in with Remington.
I think Remington will take care of you. I have a safe full of Remington 700 rifles (I used a Remington 700 Light Police Rifle in 308 back when I was an LE sniper, it's still one of my favorite & most accurate rifles) as well as a nice selection of 870s & even an 887, and Remington has always been great with the few issues and many questions I had over the years...

0 jams using 20 ga LW Wingmaster & 12 ga SKB XL 900
Owned a Versamax when they first came out
Bolt handle would “fly out”. Returned to the factory twice, 3rd time they refunded money; bought a V3 and no issues just need to keep clean. Remington service was excellent. Hard to predict what will happen now. Wonder if the “lifetime” warranties will be honored.....

My SX3 had some issues this year mainly cold weather duck hunting. I was shooting BOSS bismuth, the owner of BOSS told me to use Mobile One synthetic oil on the action 5w-20. OMG cold weather (Montana) that action never ran so smooth after I did that. Slamming the shells in every time. If you hunt in a cold environment you might want to try it.

0 jams using 20 ga LW Wingmaster & 12 ga SKB XL 900
Owned a Versamax when they first came out
Bolt handle would “fly out”. Returned to the factory twice, 3rd time they refunded money; bought a V3 and no issues just need to keep clean. Remington service was excellent. Hard to predict what will happen now. Wonder if the “lifetime” warranties will be honored.....
SKB xl 900 deluxe is what I had yrs ago, ended up trading it plus 250$ for a browning 425 20 ga. Nice gun and have looked for another one but just not been able to find one as nice as the one I traded off.

Back