2020 early season

bauerline

Brian, great to see those pups in action again, seems like forever ago ! Good luck next week .

Hit gamelands 249 in Adams county Monday morning. Scout and Champ moved 3 hens and 2 roosters in an hour and 15 minutes. The roosters didn’t offer much of a shot but 2 hens cooperated. This is the first year we can shoot hens in this area.
The dogs do not like to pose for pictures when we were out. The birds seem to be running a lot. The dogs did have some points but the birds were not holding for them and we’re taking off. I hope to get out more this week.

Way to go Scout and Champ !(y)The birds seem to have their running shoes on. Chip is really coming into his own, but he goes 100 MPH regardless of the cover so I hope he stays healthy.
Do you still raise quail for training ?

I don’t have any quail. The pens started to fall apart and I had my kids and some of their friends tear them apart this summer. I would like to have them again but I’m not sure when that will happen. Probably in a few years when one or two of the boys are out of high school.

This is the time of the year the dogs need a break. I bet Chip has scratches and raw spots by now. But they won’t stop.

Now that I have more time I was thinking about raising some quail . I really enjoyed reading about your experiences with them.Some of your released birds lasted months in th102_0339.jpg102_0322.jpge wild. Hard to believe Chip is already 4, I guess Scout has to be a least that. Having another great season, looks like you are as well.

Attachments

• 102_0428.jpg
    102_0428.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
Scout is 3 and Champ will soon be 6.
The quail did do well with the JH and it was nice having them. I think you would enjoy working with them. Good job on the hunt.
Today we moved 2 roosters and took one.
Just a few more days left. I’m not sure how much I’ll get out in the late season. I hopefully don’t get too much time because I would like to see my boys have some kind of wrestling and basketball season. Connor is a freshman and will most likely be wrestling varsity this year. Carson may get a few basketball games but at least he’s practicing now.

Moved two roosters today with one offering a shot. He’s still out there if anybody is interested. It was pretty quiet at the gamelands with only a few others out. Only heard one round of shots.

You guys can shoot hens huh? That's interesting. Can't say that I've ever heard of that anywhere here in the Midwest in my 20+ years of hunting.

The hens are not wild and will not reproduce. The state has been releasing over 200,000 birds each year for many years and the pen raised birds just won’t reproduce to establish any type of wild population. So hens are legal in most of the state now.

The hens are not wild and will not reproduce. The state has been releasing over 200,000 birds each year for many years and the pen raised birds just won’t reproduce to establish any type of wild population. So hens are legal in most of the state now.
Ah, ok. That's even more interesting. Seems like they should be focusing more on habitat availability rather than raising pen birds for release if the goal is to establish a wild reproducing pheasant population.

The state has tried to bring wild birds back using wild birds from the Midwest. It has had mixed results. The area with good habitat have had some good success but it is limited. The areas that do have wild birds have limited hunting (youth only) and only for roosters.

Back