2019 Wisconsin pheasant report

Good read good info. Debating whether I want to take everything along when I leave for bear camp next Tuesday. Past few mornings have been around 40 degrees up there.

Good read good info. Debating whether I want to take everything along when I leave for bear camp next Tuesday. Past few mornings have been around 40 degrees up there.

If taking everything means bringing a warmer sleeping bag I'd say yes, take everything. lol

Good luck up there. Safe travels.

This report HAS to be a typo....says hunters harvested 400,000+ birds in Wisconsin? That's almost half the harvest of South Dakota for last year....!

That's almost 10 birds for every hunter. Seems awfully high to me.

My son goes out every weekend on public land in WI. Yes all "put and take" birds from the DNR but we got 34 on the season.

Any of you out there get out chasing birds yet? If so, how's it been compared to last year?

Nick

I haven't had time to hunt but I have a friend that has been hunting pretty hard and it sounds like the release trucks have been plenty busy early in the year.

Success

Finally got the skunk out of the truck. Got one in the snow this morning. Only had a short time to hunt. I believe I could've gotten one more with more time. It was a fun, snowy hunt.

Good luck and be safe!

Lee

There ya go. Great pheasant hunting conditions!!

It's been a slow start. Only been out twice. These past few years my family life tends to dominate my pheasant seasons. All good. lol

I hear ya. With three little boys now I spend time with them on the weekends. Soon enough I will be able to hunt like I used to and hopefully have some new hunting partners! Have a great season!

Lee

Nice job on another bird!

I got up there to hunted Wisconsin for wild pheasants for about a hour or so (a couple weeks back). Been meaning to get back up but haven't been able to get away from the day to day. My dog flushed 2 mature hens. We blew it on some roosters. Waited until late afternoon for the birds to come out of the corn and roost. One in the group cackled as they came out of the corn and toward us. My dog ran up on them and spooked them from where they landed. All my fault. I didn't put the collar on him so I had to whistle for him to come back to my side. Between me whistling and him trampling through the cover toward the pheasants moved out of there very fast.

There were some very young, small birds. I couldn't believe how small some of the pheasants tracks were in the snow. There were maybe a dozen to a dozen and a half fresh tracks in that spot.

There's some birds out there. I'd say not as many as 3-4 years back. This really has to do with too much rain during the nesting and brood rearing seasons the last few years. The habitat looks great. A few back to back good to great nesting/broad conditions up the bird numbers could be pretty good in some of these areas.

Below is a rooster a client brought me from S. Wisconsin. He shot it last Saturday. This is wild pheasant is from this years hatch.
southern WI wild pheasant by https://www.flickr.com/photos/151633916@N05/

Last edited:
Finally got the skunk out of the truck. Got one in the snow this morning. Only had a short time to hunt. I believe I could've gotten one more with more time. It was a fun, snowy hunt.

Good luck and be safe!

Lee
Ha.Great pic.Looks like Montana.

Well, I just finished pheasant hunting for the year.:( Walked 2.6 miles and didn't cut a track. All the cattails are flooded with thin ice. Didn't want to risk it. I only got out 4 times in WI and got 2 birds and missed one. Next year... Time to start training dogs and dreaming of October. Have a happy and blessed New Year everyone!

Lee

There are no pheasant in Wisconsin that don't come out of a cage. Wisconsin is ruffed grouse/woodcock country.
Looking to ruffle some feathers?(pun intended) There definitely are pockets of wild birds. Just have to find em.

Last edited:
Back