2019 Flushing

Has it REALLY been ten years! Oh my, I remember meeting you and Drake when he was starting out , you could tell he had it, ten years that's scary my friend !
Hey thanks a lot for posting this, if you get any other updates please let us know ! Give Drake a treat for me, job well done!

Will Do, yes were all getting old and sore now days;) by the way no problem your mail box is full.

Just wanted to provide a quick update on numbers from this past Sunday's flushing
survey at Central Susquehanna.

* 27 volunteers
* 5 farms
* 151 birds total
* 78 males
* 71 females
* 2 unknown
* 12 short-eared owls
* 12 rabbits
* 1 coyote

Just wanted to provide a quick update on numbers from this past Sunday's flushing
survey at Central Susquehanna.

* 27 volunteers
* 5 farms
* 151 birds total
* 78 males
* 71 females
* 2 unknown
* 12 short-eared owls
* 12 rabbits
* 1 coyote

Interesting to see the results. Do you know of there are any plans to try to lower the cock bird numbers since heavily imbalanced and competing with hens for food and survival?

Thanks

Thanks a LOT for the report ! One thing that jumps out is the number of volunteers ' it used to be three times that amount . Yes the PGC was very happy with the ratio .

The results from the second area surveyed. Remember this area never received it's full allotment of trap n transfer birds.
On Sunday Feb 17th.

4 farms (~592 acres)

34 People

30 Dogs

83 pheasants (31M:49F:3Unk)

Great ratio of hens.

You're right. The purpose of the survey isn't to count total numbers of birds present but to get a good idea of the sex ratio . This helps when they do the spring crowing counts to determine how many hens per square mile . Remember the goal is a minimum of 10 hens per square mile.

I think roosters are a lot more active with roaming and running around than hens at this time of year so a higher flush rate of roosters would probably be expected. I used to hunt a preserve where they raised and released their own birds and it was pretty common knowledge that in the late winter and early spring there was a good chance roosters would roam and run off or flush wild at a distance before you'd get a shot at them. Hens tended to sit tighter and were less likely to flush wild late in the season and early spring. When we had wild birds in northeast Ohio during the fall season, Nov. , Dec., it seemed to be the opposite where hens seemed more likely to flush close and roosters were more cagey and evasive so you wouldn't see as many. Back then it was common to see 4 or 5 times as many wild hens as roosters during the hunting season.

Last edited:
Back