2018 pheasant opener! Who is going?

Fallfreak

I know a lot of guys on here like to go later in the season for less crops in field and cooler temps. This will be my 11th season to make the trip from Tennessee to South Dakota for the opener. I just have so much fun opening weekend why go later unless I could go twice which has not happened yet. Anyway thought it might be fun to post the area you are headed and how your hunt is going. I will be around Miller and will try to report back. I'm in northeast KS tonight. Several combines were rolling in the fields here today. Hope to see more rolling tomorrow as we head to South Dakota.

I'll probably get up Saturday, watch my daughter on live stream at her marching band competition in Indianapolis (HSStrut), go to my other daughter's soccer game, do some other odds & ends around the house, & then head out after the rest of you have had your shot at the public land. No need to be part of the competition. Basically repeat the scenario on Sunday. And then the next weekend. And the next. And the next. Through the first weekend in January.

My group skips opening week. That noon start causes some of them to get the fits. Ten is bad enough but waiting until noon drives some crazy.

I started my upland hobby in Kansas. Always have liked having the whole dang day to hunt. Of course, it usually took all day to get anywhere close to a limit of 4 but there were also a lot of quail back in those days. Not to mention the occasional opportunity to sneak ducks on ponds. Great times, great memories.

Leaving from Duluth, Mn in an hour or so...returning home on 10/28...very excited! The noon opener actually is OK with me for the first week or so...kind of like the slow pace, can do certain things I wouldn't do later in the season. Combines have been rolling pretty heavy duty for the past day or two, and will be for the next 4 or 5 days, think it could rain next wednesday....temps in the 50's...can't wait! good luck to you all!

It's a little after 9a.m. and just past first combine picking corn about 50 miles south of Sioux Falls. Hope to see a bunch more running today.

Got in to our area yesterday afternoon about 3pm. The wind was blowing about 25 mph. Quite a few combines were rolling even into well after dark. Past a few pheasants in the ditch. Counting the minutes till noon. Good luck to all.

I've been fishing most of the afternoon. Its calm out. Honestly, have not heard a shot. Heard them to the west this morning before opener. I assume that was a preserve. Filled propane tank yesterday. Driver told me hes seeing nothing. This is Chamberlain..

I've been fishing most of the afternoon. Its calm out. Honestly, have not heard a shot. Heard them to the west this morning before opener. I assume that was a preserve. Filled propane tank yesterday. Driver told me hes seeing nothing. This is Chamberlain..

Have fun!!! But please, no pics of gorgeous sun rises/sets & big walleyes. Some of us might not be able to handle it.

I stopped going hunting opening weekend anymore. Maybe I should start going fishing that weekend. Heard they are catching some nice ones out there this past week or two.

Back