2016-2017 Hunting Reports and Photos

I live in Duluth and looking for some pheasants around the Hinckley, MN area. Haven't really hunted that area much for pheasants. Would like to take my son out next week. I know it's tough to give away good spots to hunt, but what are the best WMA's to hit in the Hinckley and Mora area? There are a few WMA's in there, just wondering where would be a good place to start. If you don't want to share in the forum, could you please PM me? Thanks!

cant help you on the hinckley area but a hair bit south and west towards the princeton area we've done ok, those wmas get pounded, but you can still find pockets of birds. I have noticed in that area its fairly easy to get permission to walk some private stuff, there are some good numbers of birds around there. we would just look for willow patches/sloughs. Having your son with will help too:thumbsup:

Last day for me..

Got out for my season finale today. Flying out to visit the in-laws in Arizona soon..🙁 Today in west central MN was a bit warm..wet cattail snow soaked me good but ice in the sloughs held me up most of them time..Birds really hitting small patches of low ground standing corn and beans. Got my 3 birds on a great exhausting 3.5 hr slog in tough cover..Jack, my wonderful lab, sleeping in front of the fire.. happy.. with me not far behind. Best season I've had in 10 years. Hope next year is even better! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!😊

Hunted W Central MN a few days before Christmas. Used to hunt it a lot in the early 90s. Swamps/sloughs were dicey, that snow before Thanksgiving knocked down patches of cattails which insulated the ground even more. Only one slough I hunted was locked tight. Flushed some hens, not really a lot of pheasant sign, and did not see one bird driving around.

So the dogs and I got a workout. That ends our wild bird season, which was mostly a bust for us for several reasons. Still savor the memories though.

Dan

Went out the day before Christmas Eve in SW mn. Conditions were poor but a lot of birds were sighted. Ended up with one rooster. Birds were very spooky and didn't see many roosters. The ice in the cattails was very iffy and I think they're going to be a lot worse after the Christmas rain. Probably done for the year. Can't believe it's already over.

Went out yesterday cattails way unsafe fell through up to my nuts chase n a rooster I seen go land that was a cold run back to vehicle...

Be safe out hunting... Look like this WK end I gonna get out 1 last time... I like to shoot a bird in every month of season but did not bag 1 bird all November in MN pisd poor season for me dog is still ready to go I'll be hunting Iowa b4 they close Jan 10

Going down for one last one this weekend. Had pretty decent luck on this very weekend last year, hope its the same case this year. Will report back most likely Tuesday.

Maid a trip out to west central MN late started hunting around 1:00 got a nice old mounter quality rooster about 20-25 min into the hunt flushed 8-10 hens after the old boy in same flock...

Missed 1 long shot on 1 younger bird after & seen 1 other rooster... Seen probably 25-30 birds on the walk took 2 hr 30 min tops... Only 3 roosters seen 1 dead I lucky 1 wild flush...

Nicest bird of the season nice sharp spurs long tail pretty color the dog maid nice point & retrieve I'll get out Sunday to try for my January rooster with a friend will post the results going to old proven wma's out west...

Sorry guys new to the forum. Help

Hello all,
Wish I would've chimed in and kept up w/this forum. Awesome job btw. I am a late (in life) hunter. W/O making a life story was adopted into a family of musicians, hence, anti-gun left wing lol. Anywhoo, I know tomorrow is the last day for pheasant hunting. I live around Mankato, and have been hunting in brown, nobles, and other surrounding counties. Got my first Rooster approx. a month ago. I use a Mossberg Maverick 88 12 gauge. So, I gotta few ?s for y'all experienced hunters. What is the best bird shot to use for long distance Pheasant shooting/hunting (I don't have a dog yet) and is there any hotspots (currently) in Southern Mn.

Thanks and sorry if I sounded green

Back