2016-2017 Hunting Reports and Photos

Yeah I'll stick to the sides before venturing over the deep stuff. One spot in mind I've already waded waist deep looking for a rooster in the early season...so I know how deep it gets lol.

Hunted in wantowan county Saturday. Shot two roosters and flushed lots of birds the whole day. Ice was fine in cattails. All birds were within 100 yards of food sources.

If you hunt cattails here in Wst central MN, you will get wet. It is not safe, and I am nuts when it comes to going out. I took a step in the stuff a few places this weekend and I got wet every time. Ice is very thin under the snow. If you had no snow early, then that is the only place you stand a chance to stay dry.:(

Much of western MN is wet and the sloughs are full ... over flowing going into winter. Other years these same areas have been very dry with little risk of getting wet ...

Much of the core pheasant belt just picked up 6 - 10 inches of light fluffy insulating snow. Will slow wetland freezing from a safe walking perspective.

Remember that these sloughs have a lot of decomposition (decaying plant matter) going on and thus do NOT freeze like your fishing lakes. You can break through while a mile down the road they are driving on the lake.

I wear gore-tex boots and rain pants that secure rather tight around the ankle. Knee high boots seem like the right answer this year.

Always carry an extra set (or two) of hunting clothes this time of year. Two sets if you plan to keep hunting after getting wet the first time.

Agree with the comment on the waders ... those waders need to be tight (belted) at the waist. If you go waders do you need a lifejacket too ?

Hunted today in central MN. I wore my waders, my buddy didn't. He went through up to his knee while walking the edge of the cattails. I was in deeper, over deeper water, and I never even cracked the ice. I pounded my heel about 5-6 times and broke through. Felt like ~2 inches of ice.

So yeah, some spots are ok, some are not. Like Britt said, the LoonS*** takes a long time to cool down, and this snow is not going to help. Will probably keep walking in my waders this week.

Only saw two hens. One ran, one held tight. -11F when we started. Still felt great to be out.

Went down SW for the day yesterday with cousin of mine. 3 hour road trip took about 4 with road conditions, drove right through the AM snow, by the time we got to our destination the snow had calmed and provided for an optimistic day. Shot one in a small cattail slough about 9:15am. However that was the end of the cattails for the day since we encountered same results of breaking ice and water that many others are reporting. Like myself, I get why many hunters are so attracted to cattails but don't overlook other areas too soon, plenty of birds still in snow covered CRP grass, small pines, groves, etc. Ended up with 5 on our limit of 6 for the day, should have easily had a dozen. Saw many more. Dog caught a cripple that tried to fly but just didn't have enough gas to maintain a flight. Last bird of the day shot but wasn't hit very well. Looked for 10-15 minutes with both dogs and nothing. called off the search and kept moving along, figured it either hit the ground running or buried deep in snow covered grass. Out of nowhere my lab passes me from the area we had just lost hope and left behind prancing with the rooster in his mouth dead as a door nail. I dunno, I think he likes to toy with me. Either way a another proud dog dad moment :)

Went down SW for the day yesterday with cousin of mine. 3 hour road trip took about 4 with road conditions, drove right through the AM snow, by the time we got to our destination the snow had calmed and provided for an optimistic day. Shot one in a small cattail slough about 9:15am. However that was the end of the cattails for the day since we encountered same results of breaking ice and water that many others are reporting. Like myself, I get why many hunters are so attracted to cattails but don't overlook other areas too soon, plenty of birds still in snow covered CRP grass, small pines, groves, etc. Ended up with 5 on our limit of 6 for the day, should have easily had a dozen. Saw many more. Dog caught a cripple that tried to fly but just didn't have enough gas to maintain a flight. Last bird of the day shot but wasn't hit very well. Looked for 10-15 minutes with both dogs and nothing. called off the search and kept moving along, figured it either hit the ground running or buried deep in snow covered grass. Out of nowhere my lab passes me from the area we had just lost hope and left behind, prancing with the rooster in his mouth dead as a door nail. I dunno, I think he likes to toy with me. Either way a another proud dog dad moment :)

Oops forgot to attach pic. The one in the middle has a noticeably LONG tail feather. Mature bird.

Last edited:
We went out for a short trip this past Saturday to a spot near Hutchinson. We only had a couple of hours to hunt and no time to drive so it was mostly about getting the dog out for a run. We didn't see much at all in the grass, but we hit a cattail section and we flushed about 10-12 hens out of there. All long flushes, but at least we saw some birds. The cattails were frozen pretty solid for me, and it never broke through the ice. It's certainly where all the birds were hanging out on a cold morning.

I was thinking about heading out this week one day, but it's going to be really cold and it's not as much fun when it's -10* for me, at least.

I'm hoping to head out a few times around Christmas and New Years. I am going to try to drive out west and get to some better cover.

I used to have a spot (private) in the Hutchinson area and nearly always took a bird or two there ... every trip - early, mid, late.

The public land around there is hit hard and often... they get smart around Hutchinson. Probably need to use block (and tackle) techniques.

There is a spot in the Hutchinson area where across the road from a public land spot sits a nice little farm yard surrounded by crop field and a small cattail slough out a ways... anyway ... once it snows we always see a couple dozen birds running around there including a third or more roosters. They have no reason to cross the road back to public.

Was out in SW Minnesota this past weekend. Every slough we walked was frozen and walkable (little slushy but never fell through). Flushed up 80% of our birds out of the cat tails. Found many others in thicker tree lines. Tons and tons of hens in this area. We managed 6 roosters and should have had about 4 more but a combination of bad shooting and cold temps made the shooting tough.

A great year!

The area I hunt in western mn has been very good this year. A little too much snow now and cattails are still iffy at best. Hunted last Sunday and got a limit too quickly as usual this year..Jack my lab was not happy with 45min of hunting..3rd bird was the longest I've ever seen in 37 yrs of hunting..28.5 inches with 3/4" spurs. Wow!

Last edited:
When I figure out how to post a pic on this forum I will. 37 years and around 1000 birds killed tells me 28.5" is freakish and nearly un-heard-of..Can count on one hand the birds over 23" I've ever taken. Won a contest by a good margin a few years ago with a 26". Anybody care to share their longest feather? Is this a MN record?

When I figure out how to post a pic on this forum I will. 37 years and around 1000 birds killed tells me 28.5" is freakish and nearly un-heard-of..Can count on one hand the birds over 23" I've ever taken. Won a contest by a good margin a few years ago with a 26". Anybody care to share their longest feather? Is this a MN record?

Within pen-raised birds tails like that are popping up more and more. Some in the 30+ inch range:eek:, but yeah, as far as ever shooting one like that again in the wild, I'm with you.

That's a once in a life time bird. The longest tail I have from a wild pheasant is from a couple weeks ago. His tail measured 25 inches.

I'll PM as to how to upload photos in your profile.;)

Last edited:
Longest I have is 24 1/2. But we held the cocker national here by Alex this fall. I was a gunner, and the bird planter showed me one that was longer by far. It was crazy. The dogs never came up with that plant LOL. So he is running around somewhere out there.

Western MN. First slough even the dog was busting through. Other sloughs were rock solid. Sucks cuz the slough with the worst ice had sign EVERYWHERE...oh well next time.

Happy with the one we got.

Thanks 1pheas4 but I still can't get any pics from my smartphone into my album on this forum. I open the album but don't know how transfer the pics..I must be missing something.

Looking For Pheasants Around Hinckley

I live in Duluth and looking for some pheasants around the Hinckley, MN area. Haven't really hunted that area much for pheasants. Would like to take my son out next week. I know it's tough to give away good spots to hunt, but what are the best WMA's to hit in the Hinckley and Mora area? There are a few WMA's in there, just wondering where would be a good place to start. If you don't want to share in the forum, could you please PM me? Thanks!

Western MN. First slough even the dog was busting through. Other sloughs were rock solid. Sucks cuz the slough with the worst ice had sign EVERYWHERE...oh well next time.

Happy with the one we got.

Very cool pic of u & dog I felt like that my self on Friday dog brang back a bird I winged & ran had o tail but I was happy with the 1. Bird in the cold temps my dog was ice crusted like urs lol

Back