2015 Population Observations

mnaj_springer

I've seen/heard considerably more birds this spring than I did last year. I'm wondering if others have seen the same...?

My guess is the mild winter helped. It makes me excited for the fall.

I recently drove HWY 12 from Mpls to Milbank, SD. I do this drive A LOT. I'm usually lucky if I see a lone rooster.

The most recent drive I saw a dozen. And from some of the farmers I know, they've seen/heard more than normal. :cheers:

I know we need rain...I just hope it comes as multiple smaller showers rather than a big downpour. That could erase some of our breeding gains.

Just over 5 months away now:thumbsup:

This is good news! If the nests and broods stay relatively dry, I'm excited to see the counts the DNR puts out this summer.

I think most of the Midwest's wild birds did very well this past winter:thumbsup:. So far, this spring (though cool, yet looking up:)) has provided great conditions for our wild birds. Still early, but so far so good.

Nick

If we get average rainfall and the temps stay average then I see no reason why this won't be a good hatch. We should have had good winter carry over this year. Hope early June is not overly wet or cool when the hatch is taking place.

If we can get the exact right amount of rainfall, then I expect a pheasant rebound across much of the Midwest region. If we get no rain, it'll be bad; if we get too much rain, it'll be bad; if we get just the right amount, it'll be amazing.

I was out in Chamberlain, SD this past weekend fishing, and it is dry, but wow the pheasants are there compared to the last couple years. They need water bad, and if they get it, look for SD to return to its form this fall!

MN also needs water, but not to the extent that SD does. I'm seeing birds here in our state, and I am very happy.

The roosters around here have been crowing like crazy. It's a wonderful sound

Hopefully we will finally have a decent spring to support the nesting

Has anyone seen any chicks yet? In the St. Cloud area it was awful wet this spring... I worry that it pushed back the hatch.

I live in the country north of Stillwater. We generally have birds around but not a ton. I did hear a fair amount of roosters crowing way into June that had me thinking that there must not be a lot of hens around. Last week while out for a run on a dirt road I flushed two chicks that I'd guess to be 6-7 weeks old. They landed up in a tree. Later that week on the same road while driving I seen a brood of very young birds with the mom. Not sure what to make of the age difference between the two.

Back