2015-2016

Blackwell

Went with a couple of guys last week to Blackwell. Tons of ice where we hunted but we moved a bunch of birds, 2 coveys and several hens in the first spot. The second spot we stopped at roosters started to flush as soon as we got out of the truck. Dogs bumped another small covey and I got one rooster. Ended with 5 quail and 1 pheasant for the day. Pheasant's crop had about a cup of soybeans in it.

Okie Engineer,

I thought pretty much all of the state got less snow than anticipated (thick ice replaced it in many areas). Where were you in 10' of snow?!

Went with a couple of guys last week to Blackwell. Tons of ice where we hunted but we moved a bunch of birds, 2 coveys and several hens in the first spot. The second spot we stopped at roosters started to flush as soon as we got out of the truck. Dogs bumped another small covey and I got one rooster. Ended with 5 quail and 1 pheasant for the day. Pheasant's crop had about a cup of soybeans in it.

I always figured they would be easier to hunt after they filled their crops. Like me after a buffet. You would have to kick me a couple times to get me off the couch.

I always figured they would be easier to hunt after they filled their crops. Like me after a buffet. You would have to kick me a couple times to get me off the couch.

Maybe that's why this one stuck around and didn't take off with his buddies.

Had a crazy weekend. Got out twice.bad shooting was the rule this weekend apparently. Friday I moved 5 coveys that totaled to over 100 birds, with a handful of pheasant. Everything was running even the quail. Sunday, kicked up 7 pheasant and 2 coveys. Dogs chasing the runners out of range something like 50% of the time. Back to the training yard.:eek::eek:

Ended up with 3 quail on the entire weekend. :eek:

Unreal year

3 WAY FROM A FULL LIMIT
IT WILL HAPPEN THIS YEAR

5-1.jpg

Had a great hunt on private land in west OK this weekend... Best dog work of the year. Should've had more on the tailgate. Moved 10 big coveys on just 240 acres.

Last weekend for the roosters boys. Good luck and it looks like you'll need to bring suntan lotion and shorts. I'll be out Friday and Sunday. If anyone sees a blue Subaru in the field, stop by and say hi.

I fled the state on Friday and went up to Kansas to hunt with some friends, hot and breezy, but we moved a bunch of birds. All the Pheasants had their track shoes on and almost all of them flushed out of range. We did find 3 coveys and everyone was sufficiently exhausted by the end of the day.

My buddy went to Blackwell yesterday. He said they located 10 coveys on one 160 block of uncut milo. I accused him of hunting a buffet.

Hope everyone had a great end of season.

last day 2016

IMG_6239.jpg

IMG_6238.jpg

IMG_6240.jpg

What a year!!
Limited every time I went out except for one time. Only because we had to leave early

#COMEONWETSPRINGANDMILDSUMMER

Last edited:
It was a pretty good season for me. I was impressed with the bird numbers out west. Osage county was pretty good where I hunt also.

Back