2014 opening day

janz

There were small birds out there but unfortunately My dogs were running by them. Figured it out that I put the Seresto tick collars on them 2 days ago.
Last year when I used the advantix they were unable to properly scent birds for almost 2 weeks, then we finished well. Just a heads up for those that run bird dogs. The major areas seemed to have been stocked with decent numbers and those folks out that I ran across all had something to show for their efforts. BUT back to those baby birds again. I wonder if the state buys them by quantity or weight. If they buy by weight then we get more birds but smaller, if they buy by #'s we're getting screwed, seems like no one checks quality control of what the state purchases for birds.
Thought i'd give the thread new life

If you get one can you post a photo of the bird? I'm wondering if the birds they're purchasing are bred to be faster/smaller to make the bird more sporting:confused:

Just a possibility. Have a safe season out there.;)

Thanks for the report. Did you mean small birds or young birds? The only time I had a problem with scenting was when I used a spray near the shoulder area, but it only lasted a few minutes,interesting!

Ok small young birds. Last year we saw stocking of birds that were not fully feathered yet. One bird flushed and looked like a hen but started to cackle and it was shot to find out it was a very young rooster that was not even colored yet. A lot of the birds are only a few months old as the PHEASANT FARMs do
not want to have to feed them to long as the feed costs money so they try to plan on exact time when the bird is what they consider mature for their shipments. Now the birds that the sportmans clubs raise from april may timeframe are huge full feathered birds probably 3 times the size of the state birds purchased by contract. I will add that this is the connecticut valley district (5 or 6 districts in the state) so birds out at the cape may be purchased from a diff game farm than here and experience decent size/age.
They say the pheasant stocking program is the biggest expense second to fish (but they raise their own) stocking. Its sorta like the state doesnt care about the quality of the birds as long as they get their numbers out there. This has been going on for at least 3 yrs. I will try to get comparison pics but may take a couple weeks. Usually thers about a 1 1/2 week span when we get nice birds here during the season.

About scenting, yesterday took the seresto collars off and washed them. Today the dogs were able to find 2 birds but they were within 5 ft of the birds.
Seems to have helped so going to wash them again tonight to try to speed up the recovery. I know my dogs and the one that usually points from 40 ft away also was almost on top of the bird before she slammed on the brakes. Hopefully it wont be 2 weeks till theyre 100% bird finding machines. Saw a woodcock on Saturday but no shot. They seem to be a little late this year.

That's a bummer that the State would put out such young birds! Do they stock multiple times a week or is it a one and done deal? Are there any wild birds left in Mass.?
At least your dogs are getting some action. Good luck and be safe.

We've seen a few woodcock in Pa. but the big push hasn't happened yet!

They do a good job stocking, for 5 weeks they stock designated areas at least once a week, bigger more popular areas get it 2 times a week, and the real big areas get stocked 3 times a week. Also the sportsman clubs stock birds. You are from PA? Used to do competition hunts at Warriors Mark preserve out towards Altoona?

Looks like your pups should get a lot of action during the season. It resembles NJ's stocking program except for the fact that NJ raises their own birds. The NJ birds are of very good quality and like track stars, they give pointing dogs fits.
How's the grouse hunting in Mass?

Scrubbed the collars this am again and got a chance to sneak out at 5pm and 20 minutes into the hunt put up 3 birds got one that was a rooster. Well this bird was one nice big mature bird so maybe they stopped with the small/young birds. Although the hens I put up were small. 2 more finds before went home and of course the bird flushes out the side your not on and theres no shot. Dislike the guys out there that shoot birds on the ground. See quite a few times guys shooting birds on the ground while dog is pointing it, makes me crazy and I go in the other direction.

Your dogs are getting plenty of action and it's still early. :thumbsup: I'm not a fan of shooting game birds on the ground either, but I honestly haven't seen that much, and no one I would hunt with anyway.
Good luck with your season!

Lots of heavy rain for couple days but got out on friday and managed 2 birds for my buddy who's had a stroke and a complete knee replacement but still goes out best he can, made it even better as my dog that he trained yrs ago to a senior ACK hunter with one leg towards her master hunter had the find and point not far from him on a easily walkable path and when he was ready I flushed the bird and he got it. There was an old smile from his face that I haven't seen in a while. On the other note its back to small young birds again. If I compared them to the bird I got on Tuesday these were one third the size of that big boy. At least they can fly. I usually do not hunt on Sat as the popular areas become war zones and there's no hunting on Sunday in Mass (unless on a licensed private preserve). Tomorrow morning we'll be hunting club birds that various clubs release on Sunday afternoon. These are big strong birds and can be tough to bring down with the 410.

Back