2014-15, KS pheasants, It's not too early is it????

My 10 week old Lab pup is already asking about the upcoming season in SW KS. I would appreciate predictions/news from the "locals" so I can tell him something.

We hunted there once last year. It was fun to go but the birds were almost non-existent.

Thanks!

Way to early. Season just ende a couple of months ago. I really hate to be so negative but I wouldn't be holding my breath. It will most likely be many years before we see any substantial recovery unless there is some sort of miracle of nature.

So far it is shaping up to be another dry year. No moisture to speak of all fall/winter. The exception being a couple of snows we had.

If you want to tell your dog something, you might ask him what his thoughts are on traveling a few hundred more miles north in his dog crate. :)

If you want to tell your dog something, you might ask him what his thoughts are on traveling a few hundred more miles north in his dog crate. :)

Yep, and he said "Let's go!"

The info about the weather, etc, is exactly what I was hoping for. I have relatives in the area but they aren't hunters.

I know the season just ended in January but I'm anxious for news, etc. The excitement of seeing the new Lab is a factor; my other Labs are eligible for Medicare and I'm hoping they get more opportunities to chase roosters.

Thanks for your information.

Way to early. Season just ende a couple of months ago. I really hate to be so negative but I wouldn't be holding my breath. It will most likely be many years before we see any substantial recovery unless there is some sort of miracle of nature.

So far it is shaping up to be another dry year. No moisture to speak of all fall/winter. The exception being a couple of snows we had.

The info about the weather, etc, is exactly what I was hoping for. I have relatives in the area but they aren't hunters.

I know the season just ended in January but I'm anxious for news, etc. The excitement of seeing the new Lab is a factor; my other Labs are eligible for Medicare and I'm hoping they get more opportunities to chase roosters.

Thanks for your information.

South pacific moisture may be on the way to help the wheat crop. The weather people are talking about a rapid return of the El Nino with a damp spring and summer not cool summer warm and damp. These El Nino rain showers are loaded with natural nutrients like nitrogen other mineral producing nutritious vegetation and most importantly tons of insects for the baby quail and baby pheasants to eat.

The Accuweather guys are talking about the return of El Nino this spring and summer (as early as April 2014). An El Nino will bring up tropical south pacific moisture to the southwest (New Mexico, Colorado, W. Kansas, Oklahoma and all of Texas) good news for game birds, more green vegetation and ton of insects.

Look at at the SOI index values, when the red SOI line goes negative that means rain in the southwest will increase. Look at the data below:

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/current/soi2.shtml

Notice the Southern Oscillation Index (SOI), Click on the right side of the data in the little green box that says EARLIER. Go all the way back to 1983, 1987, 2005 and 2010 and notice all the good SOI negatives years and good EL Nino years with good summer rains and great quail and pheasant hatches.

Last edited:
If we can get some timely rains then that will be a start. A cool summer wouldn't hurt things either. Last summer wasn't too bad at all heat wise but there was no rain to speak of.

I know I'm ready for my pond to fill back up so I can kill some geese on it this fall/winter.

If you have a young dog your wanting to get on pheasants I'd be looking at going to the second state north of KS.

South pacific moisture may be on the way to help the wheat crop. The weather people are talking about a rapid return of the El Nino with a damp spring and summer not cool summer warm and damp. These El Nino rain showers are loaded with natural nutrients like nitrogen other mineral producing nutritious vegetation and most importantly tons of insects for the baby quail and baby pheasants to eat.

The Accuweather guys are talking about the return of El Nino this spring and summer (as early as April 2014). An El Nino will bring up tropical south pacific moisture to the southwest (New Mexico, Colorado, W. Kansas, Oklahoma and all of Texas) good news for game birds, more green vegetation and ton of insects.

Look at at the SOI index values, when the red SOI line goes negative that means rain in the southwest will increase. Look at the data below:

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/current/soi2.shtml

Notice the Southern Oscillation Index (SOI), Click on the right side of the data in the little green box that says EARLIER. Go all the way back to 1983, 1987, 2005 and 2010 and notice all the good SOI negatives years and good EL Nino years with good summer rains and great quail and pheasant hatches.

Very interesting

Thank you!

This is not the first nor the last of population swings. my friend had 4 roosters and 2 hens sitting on the fence. Could not make them fly. Finally 40-50 birds blew up and flew away. We need a couple great years!!:cheers:

Back