2013-2014 Season Results

Zeepo

Well hunted twice and never killed a bird. Saw 3 small covies each time out and one hen pheasant. Not good as we usually see 6-8 covies and a dozen pheasants. Hope next year is better. Hunted E of St. Joe 20 miles.

zeepo

Haven't hunted Mo for about 15 years due to moving around the last few years. Thinking about hunting there next year now that I'm living so close.

I kept track of hunts this year. Out of 15 days I remembered to document, we killed a grand total of 38 quail in missouri this year. Keep in mind lots of days there was 2 of us hunting. Not great. At the same time, I don't go after singles much. I think we found about 16 different covey this year, and no, not in one area. That's altogether. Found more birds last year but coveys were bigger this year. Gonna have some real good armadillo pointing setters if things don't pick up next season. Seems they got a little bored the last weekend of season and locked up on about 5 of them. Really proud that day!

I didn't get out that much this year (3 times) in Missouri and I'm kicking myself about now. I managed to get 1 pheasant. This is on all public land in northeast and/or northwest Missouri. I should have 2 roosters, but missed one that held for my weimaraner on point. Which those 2 things seem to never happen a rooster hold and my dog actually point :). I went in late November in Northwest MO and put up 10 pheasant bagging 1 and missing another (1 unidentified & 7 hens). Then late December in Northeast MO put up probably 3 (1 unidentified & 2 hens) on one piece of public and then 8 hens on another piece. I'm encouraged by the hens I saw, so let's hope they finally get the spring weather to help us out. Man, I really wish I would have gone more.... Although I got a new GSP for Christmas so next year he'll join my 2 weims for lots of hunting!!!

I hunted 2 days in Missouri this year on private land, none on public. We moved 8 coveys the first day and 6 coveys the second. We probably only moved 2 coveys that were the same, so moved 12 different coveys total.

I think that we only ended up killing 5 birds but probably 20 - 30 trees suffered significant lead infestation. That's quail hunting in Missouri.

I have been reminded of a correction...I hunted one day on public land in Missouri. We moved one covey that day. It was a nice covey, handled impeccably by my dog.

I just didn't see the quail this year that I was expecting to see. At least after reading the forecast. Although I did push areas that are more suitable for pheasant. I just thought working fence lines I'd run into a covey or two. Oh well, that's what I get for not hunting enough. Next year!

my stats for MO were very easy to remember...hunted there 1 day. saw one group of 4 birds...don't know if it WAS the covey or birds that had been busted up and were re-grouping. I never saw any more or any sign of more. 0 birds bagged. made me VERY appreciative of what I have at home in IL.

my stats for MO were very easy to remember...hunted there 1 day. saw one group of 4 birds...don't know if it WAS the covey or birds that had been busted up and were re-grouping. I never saw any more or any sign of more. 0 birds bagged. made me VERY appreciative of what I have at home in IL.

I guess I can't believe that Missouri is taking a back seat to Illinois! I think in Missouri, we have far fewer quail it's true. In these days, you have to have access to good PRIVATE grounds, otherwise, you need TIME to discover the quail and pattern on public grounds. Both are able to be done. The birds who get pressured, ( the public birds), are sometimes timber residents, eat acorns, come out to feed real early in the morning and darn near dark. Weather helps, snow, early in the season or late, after everybody quits! I assume you have the time at home in Illinois, to discover better properties, a short daily visit, doesn't seem to cut the mustard on experience. I had and saw more birds this year, I account it to better dogs, better scouting, longer days, both before and after the season. In an area where Missouri doesn't even do a survey on! My assessment on quail hunting in Mo., is you should been there in the 1950's or 1960's, but a poor as it is, it's better than water fowling, or living in Illinois where you need a permit to buy shotgun shells! :cheers:

I've bagged 8 or 9 wild pheasant in Missouri (all on public land) the last 3 seasons combined, so I'm pretty happy with the pheasant numbers here. I'm just scratching my head with the quail. I saw a good amount last season and I just didn't see the numbers this year and I really thought I would. Doesn't Fish & Game in IL release pheasants every year? I thought I read that somewhere. Either way it's always great to get out and watch the muts work!

I've bagged 8 or 9 wild pheasant in Missouri (all on public land) the last 3 seasons combined, so I'm pretty happy with the pheasant numbers here. I'm just scratching my head with the quail. I saw a good amount last season and I just didn't see the numbers this year and I really thought I would. Doesn't Fish & Game in IL release pheasants every year? I thought I read that somewhere. Either way it's always great to get out and watch the muts work!
Some times I think it's easier to find pheasants than quail in Missouri! I have had the same scenario in 2011, and 2012. Lot more pheasants than quail, a little bit better this year!

Back