2012 Illinois Pheasant outlook

1pheas4

It's finally out. Our 2012 pheasant outlook. I found it interesting that they've changed their harvest count methods. It seems to be more in line with what we would expect for Illinois pheasant harvest #'s. I've often thought #'s in the past were inflated a bit.

Keep in mind, in 1995 Illinois harvest estimates where between 350,000 and 500,000 wild birds. Today that # is near 30,000. Within one year our harvest dropped by the hundred of thousands and has yet to return.

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/uplandgame/Documents/AnnualStatusReportPheasant.pdf

I hate to be pessimistic but I'm surprised it took 3 pages to write that.
I cannot imagine taking a half Mil birds in IL. I wasn't hunting birds back in the mid 90's.

What was the reason for the dramatic decline in just one year, 1995 wasn't that long ago?

If Illinois has a game bird biologist on staff who prepares reports like this he should be fired, tarred and feathered, and run out of the state on a rail. What a farce. I am sure all that he does is one report annually and collects a sizeable salary doing it. He surely is putting absolutely no effort into improving the pheasant or quail population the least little bit.

I work for the IDNR in the central part of the state and for the last six years have never heard the word pheasant mentioned even once.

The one thing I did get from the report is that license and habitat fees contribute about $550,000 to the state. This is not a large number, but considering the fact that the state gives absolutely nothing in return the number is huge.

The state (meaning the tax payers) own the most expensive part of the equation that is land.

If you take a complex like Lake Shelbyville, controlled by the state and the Corp of engineers; not one thing is done to this land to improve habitat or control predators. All there is around the lake are abandoned farm fields which have been un cared for for the last thirty or forty years.

Why can't these fields be improved to try and help the bird population. If this would happen the birds could follow the creek and river bottoms out into the sorrounding prairie lands like the spokes on a wheel.

When I heard about the bird restocking program that Pennsylvania had started I called the Pheasant forever staff member in Pennsylvania and the North and South parts of Illinois repeatedly; to try and get information, and my calls have never been returned, one of the Illinois staff didnot even have an answering machine(this is no way to run a business when you are supposed to be in the field daily doing there job).

It is sad that the hunting opportunities of my children and grand children are in the hands of such fools just going through the motions and making a decent living doing it.

Sorry for the Rant
but this is how I feel

Bob

HighBrass---Great post. I couldn't agree more with what you've said, and despite those dead end phone calls, thank you for making an effort.

As far as re-stocking, this is needed desperately in areas with habitat that's been cut off from other surrounding habitats due to fragmentation. Re-stocking was in no way needed prior to 1995 due to a stable, healthy, wild pheasant population in Illinois.

After the winter of 1995/1996, birds died off in huge #'s. This resulted in a complete absence of wild ring neck pheasant within severely fragmented habitats in certain areas within the state.

The only way to re-populate such areas is 1. (as you mentioned) improve and re-install habitats to connect/link the fragmented areas--this is the best and more permanent option 2. Re-stock with healthy, transported wild birds (as PA has done) 3. release good #"s of wild like pen raised birds into an area.

Knowing what we do about our state and how it's conducted business (i.e.-putting our habitat stamp funds into a general state fund among other bad moves) I don't see mush happening for the time being for pheasants. To top it off, the IDNR is dramatically underfunded to make much of a difference for now. It seems wild pheasants are on the back burner here in Illinois.

Bob, PM me your contact info so we can talk a bit more.

Nick

What was the reason for the dramatic decline in just one year, 1995 wasn't that long ago?

FldBred, I have to get off the computer for now. I'll try to answer your question tomorrow.

Surprisingly, coyotes don't seem to be the reason behind the sharp decline (though they aren't really helping either). I'll explain tomorrow.:)

Good night

Nick

If Illinois has a game bird biologist on staff who prepares reports like this he should be fired, tarred and feathered, and run out of the state on a rail. What a farce. I am sure all that he does is one report annually and collects a sizeable salary doing it. He surely is putting absolutely no effort into improving the pheasant or quail population the least little bit.

I work for the IDNR in the central part of the state and for the last six years have never heard the word pheasant mentioned even once.

The one thing I did get from the report is that license and habitat fees contribute about $550,000 to the state. This is not a large number, but considering the fact that the state gives absolutely nothing in return the number is huge.

The state (meaning the tax payers) own the most expensive part of the equation that is land.

If you take a complex like Lake Shelbyville, controlled by the state and the Corp of engineers; not one thing is done to this land to improve habitat or control predators. All there is around the lake are abandoned farm fields which have been un cared for for the last thirty or forty years.

Why can't these fields be improved to try and help the bird population. If this would happen the birds could follow the creek and river bottoms out into the sorrounding prairie lands like the spokes on a wheel.

When I heard about the bird restocking program that Pennsylvania had started I called the Pheasant forever staff member in Pennsylvania and the North and South parts of Illinois repeatedly; to try and get information, and my calls have never been returned, one of the Illinois staff didnot even have an answering machine(this is no way to run a business when you are supposed to be in the field daily doing there job).

It is sad that the hunting opportunities of my children and grand children are in the hands of such fools just going through the motions and making a decent living doing it.

Sorry for the Rant
but this is how I feel

Bob

You need to relax. Numerous attempts have been made to introduce pheasants to southern IL. These efforts started long before hawks made their big come back and coyotes became as prevalent as they are now. You understand why pheasants are down in IL and it has nothing to do with wildlife management and is purely a factor of farming practices. The state could spend 10 Billion dollars and not be able to return to the glory days unless they address farming practices.

The state could spend 10 Billion dollars and not be able to return to the glory days unless they address farming practices.

Morris, I'm assuming your talking strictly about S. IL? You're correct. We don't know why birds have never taken to S. IL.

As for the rest of the state, farming practices are one of the obvious issue we're facing.

But I will say, throw $10 billion into the rest of the state and I'll show you pheasant #'s in Illinois that would blow your mind.;)

I realize your exaggerating the amount to make a point, but the fact is, a well funded and focused IDNR can make a huge impact on wild pheasant populations in Illinois.

For example, at one time my IDNR habitat rep and the IDNR would aid/instal/improve/etc habitats that were as small as a few acres on private lands.

Now (due to a lack in funding and man power) he won't touch anything smaller than 40 acres. Time and $ is no longer there for smaller, less significant habitat areas. The result is further decline in habitat because as we know, pheasants need to move, and need smaller habitats too.

Illinois lost it's increasing pheasant population in the winter of 1995. Why our birds have never returned to their previous #'s is a mystery. This is the big question; Why not:confused:

Farming practices, predators, gene pool, disease, etc? Yes of course. All are factors. But why such a sharp decline without a return?

Did farming practices change that much in one year? I don't believe they change enough to drop our bird harvests by the hundreds of thousands.

Declining CRP? We lost some 1996, yes. But enough to keep our wild pheasant #'s from even coming close to returning to 1995 and pre 1995 levels? Not likely.

Increasing predation? Sure, coyotes were on the rise from the 1980's through the 1990's. The problem is, pheasant and Hun populations were too. Right alone with increasing predator #'s. So this too is not likely the culprit.

Here's a few things I've noticed with birds here in N. Il. pre and post 1995. (My own observations. This is obviously non-scientific) though we are finding that our birds are genetically similar throughout that state through a wild pheasant DNA testing program here in Il.)

1. pre 1995/96 our birds had orange colored eyes. They are now yellow on most birds I observe.

2. pre 1995/96 our birds had no problem crossing roads anytime of the day. Now, we seldom see wild birds along the roads (even in areas with healthy bird #'s), and rarely see them crossing roads either by flight or on foot. Most birds I've witnessed crossing the roads in the late evening when it's nearly dark outside.

3. Roosters used to be seen with many hens in his harem. He'd breed with a hen then move onto the next hen. Now some of our roosters are seen with one hen and staying with the hen to help raise the chicks. He's not breeding more than one hen, despite a number of hens in his area. Could it be, many of our wild roosters are not breeding as many hens as they could be? Could the survivors of the winter of 1995 be of a unique gene pool? One that has characteristics different from the general populations of 1995 and sooner? Could this survivor be behind our declines? Not because he's not worthy, but has habitats that hold our pheasant populations down from what they where and used to be?

Okay, this post is getting very long and i apologize about that. I'll finish my rant with this; We all know we need habitat. Where we have proper habitat we have wild birds (s. Il excluded). I'm seeing more birds this year than I have in many years in areas with the habitat needed for a healthy wild pheasant population. To be honest, there should be more birds in some of these areas considering how prime some of these areas are for producing birds. Hopefully this year's increase will be a growing trend in areas with the proper habitat.:) Time will tell

Last edited:
Nothing the state will do (short of put and take stocking programs) can increase pheasant numbers if the unbroken habitat isn't there. No amount of money can change reality.

I just mentioned S. IL because the poster did.

Nothing the state will do (short of put and take stocking programs) can increase pheasant numbers if the unbroken habitat isn't there. No amount of money can change reality.

"Nothing" and "no amount of money" is incorrect morris.;) I know where your are coming from. Farming practices are killer indeed, but despite that fact, gov't agencies can make a enormous impact.

MI is a state with a small, yet alive pheasant program. We can not say that their time and $ being putting into their pheasant program/land will do "nothing" in the long run for their bird #'s when indeed it will. Sure each site is limited to 10,000 acres blocks, but nevertheless, it's an microcosm of what a state can do to enhance bird #'s.

Imagine such a program here in Illinois, just on a large scale. We are not limited to the "north woods" like portions of MI are. Illinois has a huge pheasant potential if we decided to make it a reality. A reality made possible through man power and $$$$.

Consider those state that still produce good wild pheasant #'s. State agencies are involved and plays a large part in improving bird #'s, along with a multitude of other agencies/orgs and of course landowners.

To increase unbroken habitat, it takes $ and manpower. Land owners are most likely not going to install and improve habitat just for the sake of doing it. It takes $ and manpower. Fund the IDNR with the $ it needs and you WILL see an increase in bird #'s in IL.;) SD levels? Of course not. But possibly bring our harvests back up to 500,00 to 800,000 birds annually? I'll take it:cheers:

1pheas4,

Very interesting Post, I enjoyed reading your observations! Like yourself I believe there is a lot to learn about America's No.1 Game bird.

Hey Morrismike
I am more than tired of government (in this case the IDNR) picking the winners and loosers in this world. Winners in Illinois = deer, turkey, and waterfowl hunters. Loosers= upland bird, and small game hunters.

If you are happy with the Pheasant numbers in Illinois that is wonderful. I am not!!!!!

Nick I sure appreciate your thoughtful and knowledgable comments.

Thanks
Bob

When looking at habitat, we all know many species including our beloved upland birds benefit from bottom lands, marshy areas and wetlands. So why do we allow these areas drained and tiled for farming? You have DU putting wetlands back in on one farm and a mile down the raod another farmer is draining the wetlands in his field. Seems crazy to me. Not too mention water quality and polution control from these wetland areas.:(

Hey Morrismike
I am more than tired of government (in this case the IDNR) picking the winners and loosers in this world. Winners in Illinois = deer, turkey, and waterfowl hunters. Loosers= upland bird, and small game hunters.

If you are happy with the Pheasant numbers in Illinois that is wonderful. I am not!!!!!

Nick I sure appreciate your thoughtful and knowledgable comments.

Thanks
Bob
Deer and Turkey are basically overpopulated with little help from anyone. Without habitat there is no hope for Pheasant. The only thing that will help Pheasants here is for the farm bills to prohibit fencerow to fencerow farming by tying compliance to farm payments.

If you go look at the price of corn from 1995 to today and invert the chart it looks an awful lot like the pheasant numbers chart the IDNR put out.

Commodity prices closely mirror farm land prices which closely mirror farm land utilization numbers. Or in other words, the more expensive the commodity, the more expensive the land the more the farmer needs to generate in income so the more land he plants.

http://www.farmdoc.illinois.edu/manage/pricehistory/PriceHistory.asp

They take out fence rows, they farm up to the edge of ditches or completely remove them and bird numbers suffer. To be able to take the land out of production and turn it into pheasant habitat is going to cost in terms of tax revenue and it further drives up the cost of farm land because you take more and more out of production.

It's a vicious circle. The real question is why are commodity prices so high to begin with? I'd suggest the answer is in our government's policies and the printing of money out of thin air but that's a whole other topic.

Back