2009 wiha, kml

djustice

I've been reading the forum posts for a while now, thanks for all the great info! I work in the GIS field (computer mapping for the layman) and I thought I would help with the WIHA's. I've got a kml that will allow individuals to see all the WIHA's in Google Earth or Google Maps. This kml will give you another option to the GPS coordinates that some have problems with.

The problem that I'm running into is that I cannot attach this file and upload it to the forum. If someone can host this file on a public server or if a moderator can place it on the site for download I'll be happy to provide it. Just send me a PM and well get this thing going.

Instructions for viewing:
Load Google Earth on your computer, then save this kml on your desktop. Once you have done this double click on the kml (just as you would open any other program) and it should load automatically into Google Earth. There are other ways to load it but I've found that this is the easiest. If you have any problems just let me know.

Thanks again!

Here's an example.

picture.php

Awesome. Can you see me waving to the camera?

Hope I can utilize this technology, but it is way smarter than me.

I do this a little diffrent but yours laid over mine is perfect... I do push pins with the WHIA number on it, then all you have to do is hoover over it to see what map it is from....

I've uploaded my Google Earth version of the WIHA to drop.io. I've never used drop.io until now so I don't know how long the link will last but it's working for me right now.

Use this link to download 2009 Kansas WIHA Google Earth KMZ file
http://drop.io/KansasWIHA2009/asset/wiha-2009-kmz

Let me know if your having problems i'll try something else.

Picture below is sample. Color coded by county.
picture.php

Last edited:
Familyman, how did you develop yours? I've got them both loaded and each county has some differences. It's almost the same but not quite. I downloaded mine from the Kansas GIS website and converted it to a kml. This was suppose to be a download of what the Kansas Department of Wildlife developed.

Just a reminder

Hey guys, just as a precaution, you might want to PM your email addreses instead of posting them, Ryan does an excellent job of keeping this site clear of unwanted visitors but just to play it safe you may want to PM personal info in the future. Just my 2 cents...:thumbsup:

Strange, that's the same website and software that I used to create mine. I'm showing whole parcel differences. When did you download yours? I downloaded it last week. I wonder if they have updated it since then?

I re-downloaded the data about 30 minutes ago to create the kmz file I uploaded. What area are you looking at that is different?

Quickly glancing at your screen cap of hodgeman county and mine I don't see any glaring difference.

Looking at the shapefile included in the zip file mine shows a modified date of 9/11/09 and the "2009 Fall Walk-In Hunting Areas.txt" text file has a modified date of 10/27/2009

Last edited:
FamilyMan, if you created yours from a download from 30 minutes ago I would say yours is more updated than the one that I have. I'm surprised that within a week they updated the dataset even during the season. That's a lot better than Oklahoma who seem to still be in the stone age!

For all of you who I've already sent the kml file you should download FamilyMan's kmz file from the provided link. KMZ and KML files are basically the same. So download the new dataset and have fun!

Interesting, I can see it now.

Mr. Farmer: "Boy, what are you doing hunting my land"

Mr. New Wave Techie Hunter: "I thought it was walk-in, you see here on my field laptop, it shows this piece of land as WIHA"

Mr. Farmer: "Let me see that Notebook, crunch"

End of Story, End of hunt.

Just a friendly reminder. Use this file as a guide, but always look for the WIHA Signs posted to verify.

Last edited:
Back