2007 Farm Bill Update/Status Thread

UGUIDE

As some of you may have heard or read, our 2007 Farm Bill is not passed and significant negative impacts loom if this bill is not passed by March 15, 2008. To that end I am starting this thread to keep interested and concerned parties abreast of developments. This forum has great participants with great access to info and just may have a fundamental impact on the passage of this bill.

Here are some info sources to start with and please feel free to add your updates/sources as we go. My hope is someone can post that the bill is passed between now and March 15th, 2008

http://www.farmpolicyfacts.org/

http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/!ut/p...RM_BILL_FORUMS

http://www.farmbill2007.com/

Somewhat but maybe should be related to the Farm Bill is the Carbon Credits program. Heard about this a while back but then again at Pheasant Fest by the Agroforestry boys. Carbon credits are actually exchanged internationally via the Chicago Board of Trade (ChicagoClimateExchange).

They pay for no-till, grass acreas and tree acres. I signed my farm up today. They don't pay that much but for people already trying to go green and are conservation minded it is a little icing on the cake.

An example would be that 1 acre of grass fixes 1 metric ton of carbon into the ground (out of the atmosphere per year). that credit on the exchange is worth $3 dollars per ton. If you had a $100 acres in CRP for 15 years that would be $300/year on top of your rental payments.

Like I said, not uch but in the fight for habitat you can't leave any money on the table.

I am also in process of enrolling 80 wooded acres in Wisconsin. The right wooded acreage can fix up to 7 metric tons of carbon per acre. That program has not been ironed out yet so this stuff is fairly leading edge.

Basically as I see it, you are getting paid to manage cover that eats green house gases. that's another program I can live with. Spread the word.

Washington consultant Jim Wiesmeyer is reporting a very high-level Democratic leadership meeting is tentatively scheduled for late this afternoon. Sources say the meeting will determine whether an agreement can eventually be reached between Senate and House members regarding budget offsets for additional farm bill spending above the budget baseline.

Report via agweb.com

Today's update

USDA's Schafer: Progress made on farm bill. USDA Sec. Ed Schafer said there had been "real" progress in farm bill negotiations with the Hill over the past week as the search for a deal continues. Schafer said whether or not the final plan includes a disaster aid provision sought by some senators will depend on what is in the overall package. Schafer made the comments at the National Farmers Union convention in Las Vegas.

3/14 Update - Deadlock - Bush gets involved

By Charles Abbott

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush urged Congress on Thursday to break a deadlock on the new U.S. farm law by April 18 and warned he will veto a bill that raises taxes or lacks more stringent crop subsidy rules.

Lawmakers have been stymied for weeks over how to pay for an increase of $10 billion over 10 years. Leaders of the House Agriculture Committee said they will draft a "baseline" bill without new money if there is no breakthrough by Friday.

"If a final agreement is not reached by April 18, I call on Congress to extend current law for at least one year," Bush said in a statement.

Bush said a long-term extension of the outmoded 2002 law is not the best outcome for a farm-policy overhaul but it would give farmers a predictable safety net.

"I have also made it clear that any final farm bill that includes a tax increase or does not include reform will be met with a veto," said Bush.

April 18 is a de facto deadline because that is when a one-month extension of agricultural programs expires.

Farm bills are omnibus legislation that control public nutrition, land stewardship and biofuel programs as well as crop supports. Nutrition would get two-thirds of the money in the new law, now six months overdue and estimated to cost at least $280 billion over five years.

Congress began writing the farm bill a year ago with the goal of adjusting crop support rates, expanding nutrition and land stewardship spending, encouraging use of cellulose in making fuel ethanol and providing more aid to specialty crops. The House and Senate passed bills that also tightened crop subsidy rules but not as much as the White House wanted.

Since the start of the year, the focus has been on setting a spending level for the final version of the bill and how to pay for it. The House bill is $14 billion above the spending baseline and the Senate is more than $20 billion.

"Nobody has shown us the money," said Collin Peterson, the Minnesota Democrat who chairs the House Agriculture Committee, so the panel will sketch a bill with no new funding during the two-week recess that begins on Saturday.

"We'll do the best we can," agreed Virginia Rep. Bob Goodlatte, the Republican leader on the panel.

Funds can be shifted among programs, said Peterson and Goodlatte, so nutrition, stewardship, specialty crops and biofuels are enhanced, although not as much as originally proposed. Peterson said crop support rates could be adjusted.

Senate Agriculture Committee chairman Tom Harkin, an Iowa Democrat, said farm leaders would meet on Friday in hopes of reaching a framework on funding, allocations for major programs and policy questions.

A key dispute is whether the Senate Finance Committee will gain some jurisdiction over stewardship programs if it provides $3.8 billion in tax credits for use in lieu of rental payments for land in the Conservation, Wetland and Grassland reserves.

There would not be enough money in a baseline bill to include a $5 billion stand-by disaster program sought by senators from the northern Plains, said a House aide.

"Baseline means there's going to be tough sledding," said Tom Buis, president of the National Farmers Union. He said spending cuts could be avoided if lawmakers compromise on the bill.

(Editing by Christian Wiessner)

2007 Farm Bill Rolling through...bump...bump...bump

From agweb.com and profarmer....on 5/22

The House this afternoon passed a new version of the farm bill (HR 6124) that is the same language of the original farm bill conference report. It passed by a 306-110 margin, one day after it voted to override Bushâ??s veto, 316-108. The results of that vote were thrown in doubt after it was revealed the bill vetoed by the president lacked Title III, the trade component, because of a clerical error.

Pro Farmer members can check here for continuing coverage of the farm bill "snafu."

The Senate this afternoon voted 82-13 to override Bush's veto, which means the bill, minus the trade title, will become law, in the view of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), who cited legal precedent.

Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) concurred, but said the House would be sending the Senate a variety of farm bill versions as a way to cover several options and to ensure the measure becomes law. Additional votes are possible, including a short-term extension of the 2002 Farm Bill (to June 6).

The trade title will be sent to the White House for the presidentâ??s signature or veto. However, efforts to quickly pass Title III are reportedly being held up by Sen. Judd Gregg (R-N.H.), who wants to amend it.

Back