20-Yard Box Training for Flushers (Golden Retriever)

Palouse

We had our golden trained by professionals, and they did a fantastic job. It's been a few seasons since, and I'd like to work on reinforcing the 20-yard box the dog is supposed to work in front of me. In other words, I'd like to reinforce the need for the dog to hunt closer. She doesn't get too far, but she can get so excited that she can sometimes get out to 40 or so yards. I've missed two shot opportunities this season because she flushed too far out.

What are your techniques?

Carry a clip wing pigeon in your vest and throw it into cover when she punches out. Draw her in downwind so she finds it in close. This helps convince her the birds are near you. (never let her see you do this)

You can also learn to shoot longer birds with practice at a trap range, 40+ yards going straight away is a cripple but quartering or crossing is a bird you've got to be able to hit if you want to get the most out of a flushing dog. Wild birds don't often let you get within 20 yds.

The traditional method of training a dog to quarter within range requires two helpers. You the handler is in the middle with one partner to the left about 15 yards and one to the right about 15 yards. As you walk down the field your partner to the left will get the dog to come over to him by yelling “hey hey” or whatever than your partner on the right does the same thing. After getting the dog to quarter for some distance he will probably start to lose interest, at this point one of your partners will grab a (live) clipped wing pigeon from there game bag (not a wing) and throw and shoot for the dog when he’s coming. After numerous sessions you can start planting birds in box launchers (or just dizzied if you feel lucky) to complete the process.
I’m sure some guys can elaborate on my simple description of the process.

The traditional method of training a dog to quarter within range requires two helpers. You the handler is in the middle with one partner to the left about 15 yards and one to the right about 15 yards. As you walk down the field your partner to the left will get the dog to come over to him by yelling “hey hey” or whatever than your partner on the right does the same thing. After getting the dog to quarter for some distance he will probably start to lose interest, at this point one of your partners will grab a (live) clipped wing pigeon from there game bag (not a wing) and throw and shoot for the dog when he’s coming. After numerous sessions you can start planting birds in box launchers (or just dizzied if you feel lucky) to complete the process.
I’m sure some guys can elaborate on my simple description of the process.
Very helpful explanation! Thank you. I have good mental picture of what you are describing. I also have a couple friends who would be perfect for this endeavor.

Back