20 gauge pheasant load 2 3/4 or 3"

mla1967

I am wondering if there any advantages of using 3 inch loads or if 2 3/4 is just as good to get the job done. I plan on patterning the loads but I can't afford to buy all kinds of ammo. The gun is a sxs 20 with improved and modified fixed choke.

Since 1970, I've been shooting an AYA sxs Matador II, imp&mod, 20ga.

ALWAYS with 2 and 3/4 inch shells, unless I'm jump shooting ducks along the crik.

Most of my shots are under 30 yards, I'd guess, but the average overall range might be 20-40 yards. Years ago,I used to shoot trap load 7&1/2, but have graduated to 6s and 5s in recent years.

Find what works for you, but I've never needed the bigger shells.

Best wishes.

What Kismet said !!!

I shoot a SXS 20 Ga double trigger 2 3/4 '' 6's in the Ic tube 5 's in the Mod tube have served me well .

Kents fastlead/diamond shot have been nice patterning loads as well as Winchester Super X 1oz loads.

I also roll my own with Nickel plated shot #7 's for close work and 5's in the tighter tube . This makes nice loads for quail and pheasant, combo hunts .

Steel 3'' 3's in a 1 oz load has been good for ducks , # 4, 3'' Hevi-shot for Geese .

When I do my job and put the pattern on the front end of a bird , I get the results I a looking for .

I really like them 20's

Yep, 2 3/4 lead loads pack plenty of wallop. 3" are good if you need to shoot steel though.

Not much of a good sample, but several years ago took my wife on her first wild bird hunt with her Browning BPS 20. The first day she was using 3" shells and hitting birds, but not killing them. That night we bought some 2 3/4" shells that were also of a higher velocity. She was then killing birds the next day. Could have been she was more in tune with what to expect, or the shorter shell patterned better, or the higher velocity was getting her better penetration, who knows.

I occasionally shoot an old Ithaca 37 20 guage, it is limited to 2 3/4" shells. If I put the shot in the head/neck, the bird goes down dead (imagine that right).

Golden Pheasant 3" #5 with IC until mid December then switch to modified choke till end of the season. Drops birds like no other shot shell.

I've used 2 or 3 brands on early season roosters and all were 2 3/4", 1 oz.. All worked fine I was using #5 shot. My three BSS 20 ga guns are all 3" chambers, but I've never felt the need to hunt with 3" shells.

This little jewel is a 2 3/4" only gun, and I find it rewarding. It's 90 years old and I'm not fond of shooting heavy/fast loads in it.

Last edited:
Back