20 gauge Loads.

Lazy Ike

After a few years of looking I picked up a 20. It is time to start picking up some shells. While there is stuff on the shelf it still seems to be a take what you can get situation, Any recommendations? How do 2 and 3/4" work?

After a few years of looking I picked up a 20. It is time to start picking up some shells. While there is stuff on the shelf it still seems to be a take what you can get situation, Any recommendations? How do 2 and 3/4" work?
2-3/4" 1 oz lead loads doing 1200 fps or so are fine. 5's if you want good killing energy in the 40-50 yd range. 6's are fine out to 40.
If you have to shoot non-tox, I'd suggest bismuth 4's, Hevi-Shot 6's, or tungsten-matrix 5's (real Hevi-Shot 12 g/cc; not their ridiculous hybrids). In my opinion, steel sucks in 20 gauge. A minimum of #3 shot is required, you're forced into 3" shells (which typically don't pattern as well), & you still don't really have the necessary pattern density or pellet energy. Not to mention, steel & Hevi-Shot are potentially damaging to older guns. If your gun's not a modern gun (say post 1995), & you opt for steel or Hevi-Shot, I'd keep shot size #3 or smaller. If it's got a fixed choke tighter than MOD, I'd avoid steel or Hevi-Shot altogether.

If you can pick your shots 2.75 1 oz of 5's or 4's will work fine. But my experience was not very good. If you want to make it a good pheasant gun get yourself a case of 3'' and buy the cheapest 7/8 oz shells you can find for practice. If you hunt over a flushing dog, you will lose some birds. Just my humble, useless opinion.

The 20 will certainly kill birds, particularly if you hit them in the front 1/3 and don't take straightaway shots where the load primarily hits the bird in the heavily feathered and "fatted" posterior. I've used the Federal Premium Upland load of 1 ounce #6 copperplated shot at 1350 fps, as well as the Winchester Supreme High Velocity field load of 1 ounce of #5 copper plated shot at 1300 fps. Both of these worked well and both are 2 3/4" loads.
If I wanted to make a habit of using a 20 gauge during the final few weeks of the season, I'd try to find the Winchester SuperX Double X 3" magnum copper plated load with 1 1/4 ounces of buffered #6 shot. These are no longer made as far as I know but I find them at gun shows and estate auctions. They are hard-hitting loads well suited to the late season birds. Alas, none of these loads are cheap.

Here's a previous post of mine on 20ga pheasant loads.

If you are shooting pheasants with a 20-gauge, go with 2 ¾-inch 1-ounce or 3-inch 1 1/4-ounce loads with lead #6s or #5s. Choked appropriately, those loads should take care of any pheasant shooting out to about 40 yards, if you can put the pattern on the front end of the bird!

Here are a few of pattern numbers to give you an idea of how these reloads perform in my gun. You should be able to find factory 2 3/4" 1-ounce #6 or #5 loads and 3" 1 1/4-ounce #5 loads, 1220 fps is plenty in either load, but you may have to get what you can.

Patterns from a 20-gauge Browning Citori with 28" Invector-plus barrels and Briley flush chokes (patterns average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, and in-shell pellet count average of five).

20 GA 2 ¾” RELOAD (BLUE DOT)
1 oz #6 lead (233 pellets) @ 1200 fps

30 YARDS – SK / pattern 147 (63%)
30 YARDS – IC / pattern 168 (72%)
40 YARDS – M / pattern 146 (63%)
40 YARDS – IM / pattern 163 (70%)

20 GA 3" RELOAD (BLUE DOT)
1 1/8 oz #5 lead (190 pellets) @ 1220 fps

30 YARDS – SK / pattern 140 (74%)
30 YARDS – IC / pattern 149 (78%)
40 YARDS – M / pattern 138 (73%)
40 YARDS – IM / pattern 147 (77%)

If you need or choose to shoot 20-gauge steel loads at pheasant, go with 3-inch 1-ounce loads of either #3 or #2 steel. Steel shot lethality research on pheasants conducted by Tom Roster showed #2 steel to be more effective (at all ranges) than either #6 or #4 steel. Yes, you can kill pheasants with #4 or #6 steel loads, but a little extra pellet energy is a good thing on wild pheasants where shots tend to be going-away and can get on the long side. The research also showed #2 steel resulted in fewer cripples than both #6 and #4 steel; and Roster also speculated that the #3 steel pellet would be a good compromise between pellet count and downrange energy.

Here are a few of my pattern numbers to give you an idea of how these loads perform in my gun.

Pattern numbers from a 20-gauge Browning Citori with 28" Invector-plus barrels and Briley flush chokes (patterns average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, and in-shell pellet count average of five).

20 GA 3" WINCHESTER DRYLOK SUPER-X STEEL LOAD
1 oz #3 steel (145 pellets) @ 1330 fps

30 YARDS – SK / pattern 114 (78%)
30 YARDS – IC / pattern 123 (85%)
40 YARDS – IM / pattern 106 (73%)
40 YARDS – LF / pattern 110 (76%)

20 GA 3" REMINGTON NITRO-STEEL MAGNUM LOAD
1 oz #2 steel (118 pellets) @ 1330 fps

30 YARDS – SK / pattern 101 (86%)
30 YARDS – IC / pattern 105 (89%)
40 YARDS – IM / pattern 99 (84%)
40 YARDS – LF / pattern 102 (86%)

Good luck!

A 725 Feather. Got the 12 ga version 6 years ago. About 3 years ago I decided to add a 20. I have had my eye out for one and finally got one through Gunbroker. The 12 will probably come out for late season.

Here's a previous post of mine on 20ga pheasant loads.

If you are shooting pheasants with a 20-gauge, go with 2 ¾-inch 1-ounce or 3-inch 1 1/4-ounce loads with lead #6s or #5s. Choked appropriately, those loads should take care of any pheasant shooting out to about 40 yards, if you can put the pattern on the front end of the bird!

Here are a few of pattern numbers to give you an idea of how these reloads perform in my gun. You should be able to find factory 2 3/4" 1-ounce #6 or #5 loads and 3" 1 1/4-ounce #5 loads, 1220 fps is plenty in either load, but you may have to get what you can.

Patterns from a 20-gauge Browning Citori with 28" Invector-plus barrels and Briley flush chokes (patterns average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, and in-shell pellet count average of five).

20 GA 2 ¾” RELOAD (BLUE DOT)
1 oz #6 lead (233 pellets) @ 1200 fps

30 YARDS – SK / pattern 147 (63%)
30 YARDS – IC / pattern 168 (72%)
40 YARDS – M / pattern 146 (63%)
40 YARDS – IM / pattern 163 (70%)

20 GA 3" RELOAD (BLUE DOT)
1 1/8 oz #5 lead (190 pellets) @ 1220 fps

30 YARDS – SK / pattern 140 (74%)
30 YARDS – IC / pattern 149 (78%)
40 YARDS – M / pattern 138 (73%)
40 YARDS – IM / pattern 147 (77%)

If you need or choose to shoot 20-gauge steel loads at pheasant, go with 3-inch 1-ounce loads of either #3 or #2 steel. Steel shot lethality research on pheasants conducted by Tom Roster showed #2 steel to be more effective (at all ranges) than either #6 or #4 steel. Yes, you can kill pheasants with #4 or #6 steel loads, but a little extra pellet energy is a good thing on wild pheasants where shots tend to be going-away and can get on the long side. The research also showed #2 steel resulted in fewer cripples than both #6 and #4 steel; and Roster also speculated that the #3 steel pellet would be a good compromise between pellet count and downrange energy.

Here are a few of my pattern numbers to give you an idea of how these loads perform in my gun.

Pattern numbers from a 20-gauge Browning Citori with 28" Invector-plus barrels and Briley flush chokes (patterns average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, and in-shell pellet count average of five).

20 GA 3" WINCHESTER DRYLOK SUPER-X STEEL LOAD
1 oz #3 steel (145 pellets) @ 1330 fps

30 YARDS – SK / pattern 114 (78%)
30 YARDS – IC / pattern 123 (85%)
40 YARDS – IM / pattern 106 (73%)
40 YARDS – LF / pattern 110 (76%)

20 GA 3" REMINGTON NITRO-STEEL MAGNUM LOAD
1 oz #2 steel (118 pellets) @ 1330 fps

30 YARDS – SK / pattern 101 (86%)
30 YARDS – IC / pattern 105 (89%)
40 YARDS – IM / pattern 99 (84%)
40 YARDS – LF / pattern 102 (86%)

Good luck!
Thanks for the information. All good. What kind of reloader are you using? Do you like it of course.? After many years, I am looking at going back to reloading for my 20 gauge. Primarily trap, and upland loads. trying to find a decent reloader new or used.

If you can pick your shots 2.75 1 oz of 5's or 4's will work fine. But my experience was not very good. If you want to make it a good pheasant gun get yourself a case of 3'' and buy the cheapest 7/8 oz shells you can find for practice. If you hunt over a flushing dog, you will lose some birds. Just my humble, useless opinion.I
I would agree. As much as I love hunting with my 20 gauge, the 12 gauge is much more effective. I loose a few birds with my 20.

Anyone ever shoot the Remington Nitros? I bought a box a few years ago. 1 1/8 oz 4's. I couldn't get them to pattern very good then. But I'm going to double check with this new gun. Also they kick about the same as a 3'' shell.

Anyone ever shoot the Remington Nitros? I bought a box a few years ago. 1 1/8 oz 4's. I couldn't get them to pattern very good then. But I'm going to double check with this new gun. Also they kick about the same as a 3'' shell.
Have not, but that’s the same load I shoot out of my 16’s…2 3/4” 1 1/8 oz lead #4 shot, usually around 1150-1250 fps….works well.

I bought a case of these back in January. There are essentially the same shell as the Browning BXD Uplands that patterned very well for me. I shot a case of Fiocchi Golden Pheasant 2 3/4 #5 through my 20 gauge the last 3 years and felt I had more cripples than the BXD's. Hoping I have good luck with the Winchester. I like them through a Light Modified Briley tube in my Monte 20.

I buy those for my Dad, but in #6. He does very well with them, though they seem a bit difficult to find. I would use them in my first barrel if I used a 20, but I’m a 16 guy…

Back