20 gauge loads for Pheasant

I've shot my 20 101 for 35 years now. Cost me more to have it rebuilt than what I paid for it origionaly. #5 fiochi golden 2 3/4 the only shell I use anymore. Last year I took my 686 28 ga grouse gun as well. #5s in a 1 oz load knocked em dead . I kill way more birds than the guys lugging thse 12s around. Fast and on target.

20 load

I have shot a 20 for 40 yrs. with very good success. 90% of the pheasants I have shot have been with #6, the others were with 7 1/2s and 5s. As of now I am shooting 1 1/4 0z. of 6s in the Fiocchi 3inch Golden Pheasant. These shells have pattered very evenly for me with a killing density to about 35-37yrd through IC choke. If most of your hunting is with pointers 1oz of 7 1/2s would do fine.

I have never used 7 1/2 s for pheasant but I would think that would put way to many pellets in the bird for eating with a good hit. It is bad enough with 5s and 6s. I am not saying not to use them I am just thinking outloud. Did any of you find this to be true with 7 1/2s?

I use the Golden Pheasant in my 28 with good success!!!:cheers:

I've shot my 20 101 for 35 years now. Cost me more to have it rebuilt than what I paid for it origionaly. #5 fiochi golden 2 3/4 the only shell I use anymore. Last year I took my 686 28 ga grouse gun as well. #5s in a 1 oz load knocked em dead . I kill way more birds than the guys lugging thse 12s around. Fast and on target.

Far out. I bought some #5s for my 28ga to use on pheasants this year. Was a little unsure but after patterning last winter and hearing your success I'm in.

I've tried the 3" fiocchi and they work well. More pellets in the shell...maybe a better pattern.

I have never used 7 1/2 s for pheasant but I would think that would put way to many pellets in the bird for eating with a good hit. It is bad enough with 5s and 6s. I am not saying not to use them I am just thinking outloud. Did any of you find this to be true with 7 1/2s?

I prefer 5's or even 4's to have less and bigger easier to find pellets to pick out of the bird being a good thing from my perspective.

Many factors to consider for what would be the best shell for your circumstances. I shoot side by side shotguns in all guages but the 20 and 410 are my favorites. Next I hunt over very skilled GSP's (I have 3 of them). The birds I shoot are stocked pheasants, wild woodcock and wild ruffed grouse. I find I kill many birds with (20g) 2 3/4" low base shells but in brass, seems the nickle expands enough to make shell removal tough. I do use the 1 oz loads with max dram powder. In the second barrel I'll use a 2 3/4" high base of the same load or a 3" high brass max load. Now for the size, 7 1/2 are my choice after 40 plus years bird hunting these are the most versatile with 6's being next choice. The 7 1/2 let be prepared for the the errant woodcock or grouse that may flush. Hunting over steady pointing dogs means 90% of my shots are within 20 yards and the shells don't tear the bird up. As for cripples well thats just frosting on the cake when you send the dog on a retrieve and they have to track and bring the bird back so that is not an issue for me. As for wild birds I've hunted Iowa, Nebraska, south Dakota and North Dakota. These areas I use all high brass and drop to 6 and 5 shot max load. Friends refer to me as a farmer because I only use side by side shotguns.

Back