20 gauge loads for Pheasant

Hey guys. I recently picked up a 20g O/U we talked about. I've never done any pheasant hunting, but I REALLY want to in the future.
I'm wondering what are good loads for them. Reason I ask, is I was in a local gun shop here in Alabama and ran across some Federal Ultra Clay and Pigeon loads. Marked at $54/case. They're 2.75", #6 shot, 7/8oz shot, and 2.5 dram powder. I picked up a couple cases of #7.5 shot for quail and dove here, and now they're out of them. I know 6's are good for rabbits, etc, but didn't know if those would be worth picking up for something like pheasants. If so I'd grab a couple cases.

I would recommend in a 23/4" I would look for a good 1oz load as a minimum, #6's are the best shot size IMO as larger shot in the limited capacity of the 20ga hull make patterns become thin.

I like 3" 11/4 oz # 6's myself. Fioochi Golden Pheasant is a very good choice in this load but others such as Federal, Winchester and Remington all make similar loadings.

IMO, this is a best buy in a 3" 20ga load.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/3-0312055

Last edited:
#6 shot is commonly used for pheasants with great success. Some people prefer #4 or #5 shot and some even use 7.5 shot. I use #6 in my 16 ga. all season with my O/U choked IC/Mod. While 7/8 oz. may be a little on the light side and most would probably choose a 1 oz. load at a higher velocity, the loads you are looking at will certainly take down a pheasant provided you do your part and center the pattern on the bird. You would also want to restrict your shooting distance to 30-35 yards.

Due to shoulder surgery 10 years ago, I now hunt with a 20 ga., imp., 26" barrel. I found 7.5 shell has a better pattern and about 50% more shot than a #6, I do cripple birds.

I tried 3" shells a couple of years ago and had good success, but they are expensive. I try not to take the long shots with my 20 ga...

I would step up to nos. 4 or maybe 5 shot (first shot only) for more down range punch and penetration on wild birds. There are plenty of shot pieces in either.

Last edited:
I shoot nothing but 20s. Biggest I go is #5s, smallest 7.5.
Most of the time on pheasants I am shooting #6, impcyl. on pheasants, over point.

I have shot twenty gauges for 40 years. If you get a point 7 1/2's are good to go, but a pheasant can sure struggle thru a few going away in late season, if the angle is wrong and your plugging away at the rear end and to far back. I have always liked 6's high brass. You'll miss quail with them, but make it back on wild flushes, I'd use modified choke. I would point out as OnPoint said, 5#s are what a small bore gun can handle. Most premium manufacturers will not load 4,s in 16,20,28's because the small diameter does not favor large pellets. A twelve with handle them, but reality is that a 10 handles them better, I assume an 8 even better! 20 gauge with 5's - 6's, will be adequate, I wouldn't worry about it after that, If you do your part.

each gun and choke digests shot differently, you may want to pattern up some different loads and check for performance....for me nothing but 1 oz. or 1 1/4 oz of Golden Pheasants in #5 shot in my 20 ga......deadly.:thumbsup:

All good information. I bought a bunch of 3" #4,#5 and #6 golden pheasant only to learn I kill them just fine with 2 3/4 #7 1/2 and #6 and those loads are half the cost of the heavy loads. As was said if you hit them right you're good to go.
Duke

I reload my own hunting rounds with #5 and a little extra powder that works well for me and my 20 gauge o/u. My barrel is 24", my dogs are pointers, and I try to limit my shot range. I have made a few desperation shots and had that one golden bb find its mark. Bigger I find better knock down power.

Used #6 in 20ga for years when Winchester still made their 540 powder. I believe that's the right powder. Killed pheas pretty well. But sadly that powder was discontinued and then I joined the army and haven't got a lot of hunting time since. My wife will actually be taking my O/U to the field this year for the first time with it's 20ga barrels on it. So this is a nice thread to see lol.

I use a 20ga O/U almost exclusively now on pheasants. The last couple years I've hunted a farm in PA that has the most wild released birds I've ever seen. They continually stock the farm instead of putting out a certain number of birds for you to shoot. If you wanna kill 1 bird, great. 10 birds, even better. They charge our group by the birds killed and we kill a TON. Last year I quit shooting at 15 or 18 birds the first day. The reason I told you that is because my Father in Law have both shot a variety of loads to compare. We can both say that without a doubt, 1 oz of #4's going about 1250 fps absolutely hammers pheasants. We had a lot less cripples and killed more birds per shot with #4's. We weren't shy about taking long shots either..... Fast forward to late Nov and early Dec SD rooster. Nearly everyone in our group shoots double 20's. We had no problems solidly killing late season wild roosters with 1 oz of #4's. I actually switched from my 870 12 GA because I shoot my 20 a lot better. I had a lot more success with my 20. Because of our head to head results, when I'm hunting pheasants, I shoot #4's.

I use a 20ga O/U almost exclusively now on pheasants. The last couple years I've hunted a farm in PA that has the most wild released birds I've ever seen. They continually stock the farm instead of putting out a certain number of birds for you to shoot. If you wanna kill 1 bird, great. 10 birds, even better. They charge our group by the birds killed and we kill a TON. Last year I quit shooting at 15 or 18 birds the first day. The reason I told you that is because my Father in Law have both shot a variety of loads to compare. We can both say that without a doubt, 1 oz of #4's going about 1250 fps absolutely hammers pheasants. We had a lot less cripples and killed more birds per shot with #4's. We weren't shy about taking long shots either..... Fast forward to late Nov and early Dec SD rooster. Nearly everyone in our group shoots double 20's. We had no problems solidly killing late season wild roosters with 1 oz of #4's. I actually switched from my 870 12 GA because I shoot my 20 a lot better. I had a lot more success with my 20. Because of our head to head results, when I'm hunting pheasants, I shoot #4's.
Great response with field test proof results! Probably shoot 20 better with less recoil than 12, my uneducated (and biased) opinion.

M baretta 686 just first me a lot better then my 870. It's lighter and quicker to the shoulder as well. When I mount it, I'm spot on nearly every time. It could be because I shoot t so much more so I've adapted to it. I never thought about the "fit" of a gun too much, but a trip to the skeet range with a buddy who's a competition changed all that. He was watching me shoot my normal crappy round of skeet with my 686 that I think I shoot pretty well in the field. He then handed me his beretta SO4 Sporting clays gun. All I could say is WOW. I began to understand real quick how a gun that fits you nearly perfectly makes a HUGE difference. WAY more than what gauge or shot size your using. Some day I wil have a custom fitted gun.... It made that much of an impression on me.

I've been going to SD the last couple of years and found that a Super-X 1 oz load of #5's has worked really well. I get them at Dick's in a four pack of pheasant loads. It doesn't say they are Super-X on the outside box, but when you open them up they are. Price has gone up this year to about $40.00 for the four boxes. But at $10.00 a box they are still about $5.00 a box cheaper than buying them off the shelf.
It is the same for the 1/14 oz 12 gauge. Same price for these Pheasant loads and they are killers. Check them out at Dick's. Its the only place I have seen them.

jetjockey-I wouldn't worry too much about how your skeet scores compare to hunting. I've been in the field with so-called "champion" skeet/trap shooters that couldn't hit a bull in the (well you know what).... I like shooting skeet and clays in the off-season to not only keep familar with the gun, but the enjoyment of shooting. But, birds and clays are different, and fly at different speeds and distance. Sometimes, after shooting clays all summer, your timing and leads need some field correction (fine-tuning) till your "mental" computer kicks in.

In the reverse, I've seen guys that can't hit a clay bird to save their skin, but hardly ever miss a wild pheasant. Given the choice, it would be better to be a good shooter on live birds.

jetjockey-I wouldn't worry too much about how your skeet scores compare to hunting. I've been in the field with so-called "champion" skeet/trap shooters that couldn't hit a bull in the (well you know what).

I suppose your point CRP holds some truth to it. :)

A very well known crack-shot, "can hit anything" pro-shooter went hunting for wild pheasants. He couldn't kill a pheasant to save his life. Though he did manage to wing a few birds.

I'm guessing he was just having an "off" day or something.:confused:

I suppose your point CRP holds some truth to it. :)

I'm guessing he was just having an "off" day or something.:confused:

I myself have those days when I just can't seem to hit anything --I mean I don't wing birds I just MISS TOTALLY. It is fustrating to say the least and it does not happen often-- but it does happen. On those days I simply will not shoot at most birds--just the ones close and going way--always seem to hit those (ya know the old low station going away skeet shot).

I guess the old internal computer is in need of a UPDATE lol :D
I could not even carry a gun afield and have a really great day.:cheers:

20ga O/U?

That's what I use and I always pull 2 3/4 #5 shot if I got it.

#4 are too big unless the last day of the year. #6 just don't drop them like the #5's and don't seem to kill at the same distance.

I usually shoot a Mod/Full set up and like to shoot no closer than 20yds and perfectly at about 25-30yds.

Early season maybe Imp/mod but and perhaps #6 but 5s are perfect for me.

Back