20 A5 with cly barrel

setterbud

I have a 12g Benelli Mont, i was planning on using imp cly choke, or mod, but how do you all think about the A5 20ga, cly barrel, thinking about some no5's for pheasants. I am mainly going for quail anyway or will I be seeing more pheasants than covies, going to hill city area. should I bring it or leave it at home. what would be the max effective range?

thanks

When I was in Hill City last year I saw way more pheasants than I did quail, I'd shoot the Montefeltro with the modified choke unless I was hunting over close working dogs.

I have a 12g Benelli Mont, i was planning on using imp cly choke, or mod, but how do you all think about the A5 20ga, cly barrel, thinking about some no5's for pheasants. I am mainly going for quail anyway or will I be seeing more pheasants than covies, going to hill city area. should I bring it or leave it at home. what would be the max effective range?

thanks

A 20 ga cyl bore, the pattern starts to get pretty thin at 25 yards and won't kill reliably beyond maybe 30 yards. If you're a quick shooter, over pointing dogs, it might be okay. With that spread, I'd consider 6s for pheasant and 8s for quail, try to fill the pattern up a bit.

The 20 ga A5 is a sweet gun, worth spending a few dollars on, and I'm pretty certain there's enough wall thickness so you might consider someone like Briley or Carlson's who could convert it to screw-in chokes.

http://www.briley.com/

http://www.choketube.com/

Here's a clip from Carlson's - We can install choke tubes in 12 ga., 20 ga., and 10 ga. shotguns.

2-Day turnaround. Freight charge added to all choke installations, see bottom of page.
Single Barrel Flush Mount Installation (12 and 20 GA)
Includes three flush mounted chokes and 2 wrenches $125.00

Disclaimer: I don't have any personal experience with Carlson's, but have been told they're good. I have used Briley, and I can tell you their workmanship is absolutely flawless.

Last edited:
Back