2 dog e collar setup

Pete Bauer

For the past 7 years I’ve been using a Sportdog 1825 hunting one lab. This year I have another lab and added a collar. In theory and in the yard the toggle on the remote works well - in the field with gloves it’s proving kind of cumbersome. I use both tone and stimulation when needed.

Is there a setup out there that would allow me 2 dogs both town and stimulation without flipping a switch?

Curious what others are doing. Thanks!

That's what I have, and have not experienced any issues with the toggle set up other than both of my collars look the same so have written up on one (for toggle up) and that always goes on the same dog. I am on my second set of 1825's and they have been flawless with the first set going 10 years and my first one was a sport dog also but not sure on model it went 12 years.

I added a dog this year and was faced with the same decision. I looked at the 1825, but was worried about being able to quickly switch the toggle (and knowing which way to flip for each dog) while out in the field and in a hurry. I ended up just buying a second collar and remote. I have one zip-tied on each shoulder strap of my vest and wrapped in colored tape to match the dog collars. It has worked well - Took a couple of days to get the muscle memory for which remote goes with which dog, but is seamless now.

Thanks for the replies.

I hunted all weekend toggling back and fourth and it worked OK, I'm mainly concerned as the season goes on and I'm wearing heavier gloves - there's no way I'll be able to flip the tiny switch.

Two remotes crossed my mind but would rather not if I don't have to.

Has anyone used a Dogtra 1902s? From the little bit of research I did, it looks like this would allow me to do this?

I've been using Sportdog collars for 8 years with no issues but it's always been with just one dog.

Thanks

Pete, have you looked into DT systems?

I've never owned a DT systems collar so I can't speak from personal experience but from what I've heard they are a good unit. I own a older Dogtra 2002 T&B 2 dog beeper setup and I can attest to heavy gloves being an issue when toggling the switch, but since I use lighter gloves it's not too much of an issue for me. Can't stand even a medium weight glove.... but that's just me.

Here's a 2 dog unit (RAPT 1450 two dog) that instead of toggling a switch you turn a dial (see arrow on pic). Not sure that would be any easier or not? It has a beeper as it's an upland model, but also comes without.

https://www.gundogsupply.com/rapt-1450-upland-2-dog.html

View attachment 8649

Last edited:
Pete, have you looked into DT systems?

I've never owned a DT systems collar so I can't speak from personal experience but from what I've heard they are a good unit. I own a older Dogtra 2002 T&B 2 dog beeper setup and I can attest to heavy gloves being an issue when toggling the switch, but since I use lighter gloves it's not too much of an issue for me. Can't stand even a medium weight glove.... but that's just me.

Here's a 2 dog unit (RAPT 1450 two dog) that instead of toggling a switch you turn a dial (see arrow on pic). Not sure that would be any easier or not? It has a beeper as it's an upland model, but also comes without.

https://www.gundogsupply.com/rapt-1450-upland-2-dog.html

View attachment 8649

I have not. Looks interesting but was hoping to stay away from a switch of any type.

After more looking at that Dogtra 1902s unit, it appears it doesn't have a tone feature which I think would be a deal breaker as well. I use tone heavily to stop and turn my labs in the field - not sure how they'd respond to vibrate.

Rather surprised no one makes something like this but it's looking like I'll probably have to stick w/ the Sportdog for now.

Unless there's something out there completely different that I've not seen, I don't think there is a 2 - dog setup out there that doesn't have some mechanism to switch from one collar to another. It's just the nature of the beast. If there's a brand that uses a push button instead of a switch, I'm not aware of it. I just pointed out the DT as the dial looked like it would be an easier alternative.

Back