1st solo limit of the year!

GustavDaGSP

Me and my shorthair got in the pickup this morning headed for cottonwood county got to the spot i wanted to hunt at 9:30 later than i wanted o well!
50 yrds. in "Gus" puts up a point so i invetigated what he was locked on only to have two hens flush 50yrds father in he locks up again on a thicket i approach to only wish i had a someone with me 5 Roosters flush so i picked my two and poof! 30min. hunt and headed back home good day for me only to have my dog madddd he wants to hunt all day not 30min. LOL! :D

Always tomorrow "GUS"

Congrats on a good shoot. Isn't it great when your dog does that. Me I would have only gotten 1 bird. I'd would have missed the rest........Bob

Nice job.
You keep up the good shooting and Gus will learn not to find any birds tell he is ready to go home next time.:D

Thanks everybody satturday was fun!

Went out sunday with a buddy to kandiyohi county.
hunted a WPA at dusk next to a corn feild that was being cut ended up with two!Had a guy standing in the middle of the road walking back and fourth even with the combine shooting at every bird that come out of the corn best part was he was a bad shot:thumbsup: Left my GSP Home and took my choc. lab today the two we ended flew are way landed and Duke flushed and retrieved!

Is it legal to walk the road like this/shoot when a farmer is working?:mad:
He was even with the combine standing in the middle of the road the guy must have shot 12+ times :eek: hard to say how many birds he exactly got?D

hunted a WPA at dusk next to a corn feild that was being cut ended up with two!Had a guy standing in the middle of the road walking back and fourth even with the combine shooting at every bird that come out of the corn best part was he was a bad shot:thumbsup: Left my GSP Home and took my choc. lab today the two we ended flew are way landed and Duke flushed and retrieved!

He was even with the combine standing in the middle of the road the guy must have shot 12+ times :eek: hard to say how many birds he exactly got?D

Good question. The only thing I could find pertaining to shooting off or over a roadway in the regs was this listed under the big game "other restrictions".

No person may discharge a firearm or an arrow from a bow on, over,
across, or within the right-of-way of an improved public highway
(including but not limited to federal, state, county, and township
roadways) at a big game animal or a decoy of a big game animal that
has been set out by a licensed peace officer.

Key words being at big game animals. No mention of small game or using crop harvesting equipment to aid in producing game, so not sure.

Last edited:

You can shoot over a road with shot, not a single projectile. The combine thing I dont know, but he would have to be off the road in the grass at least some, not on the road surface. Yes there is the ? on ethics fo the use of a combine. In MN I don't think you can use any vehicle to push or persue game of any kind.

You can shoot over a road with shot, not a single projectile. The combine thing I dont know, but he would have to be off the road in the grass at least some, not on the road surface. Yes there is the ? on ethics fo the use of a combine. In MN I don't think you can use any vehicle to push or persue game of any kind.

Ken where did you find the restrictions for this. I guess I could have missed it, but didn't find anything in the regs about shot vs single projectile when it comes to shooting over a roadway??

That is only on improved roads ( Highways) Gravel you can as long as it is not a single projectile. I will have to see if I can find it. Everything is hard to find in this State. The warden told me this as well. Unless there is a change, but it has not been listed as a change.Reason being, how far from a road would you have to be before you know bird shot will not cross it. That eliminates quite a bit of public land not able to use.

MN uses an approach of what is "RESTRICTED", the reason you don't find what you "CAN" do. There is no law restricting bird shot for small game or waterfowl..... This is what your CO will tell you. It is Legal for bird shot and small game and waterfowl. Now this stupid road hunting argument comes in play as well. But it is legal. You do have to make sure you are not on a right of way where the land owner pays taxes to the centerline of the road. You can do this at your local Cort houses in those areas. Many township roads they do. But if not fenced, mowed or planted in short term crops it has to be posted. There are areas you will have no trouble and areas you will get an earful. It is up to you to figure all that out. Heck if you ask a farmer if you can walk his ditch, he will most likely say yes. We should all just ask. If it is state land well thats thousands of miles of road right of ways for someone right there. I hate getting into these subjects. Arm yourself with the truths, by talking to the proper authority's. You can do plenty. More then some will let you believe. I simply know what "I" can do legally and ethically.

97B.055 DISCHARGING FIREARMS AND BOWS AND ARROWS.
Subdivision 1. Restrictions related to highways. (a) A person may not discharge a firearm
or an arrow from a bow on, over, or across an improved public highway at a big game animal. A
person may not discharge a firearm or bow and arrow within the right-of-way of an improved
public highway at a big game animal. The commissioner may by rule extend the application of
this subdivision to the taking of migratory waterfowl in designated locations.
(b) A person may not discharge a firearm or an arrow from a bow on, over, across, or within
the right-of-way of an improved public highway at a decoy of a big game animal that has been
set out by a licensed peace officer

Last edited:
Here is the one relating to any motor vehicle, pretty clear.

Any way this is not realy related to the topic so some one can start another thread on the subject. On that note I have not yet shot 2 but have gotten one. But I only hunted a little while each time. I am still hearing good things yet though in certain areas.

97B.091 USE OF MOTOR VEHICLES TO CHASE WILD ANIMALS PROHIBITED.
A person may not use a motor vehicle to intentionally drive, chase, run over, kill, or take
a wild animal.

Last edited:
Well I am not fairing so well. I just can't connect. Took Ladybug out for a two mile hike this afternoon and found 8 or 9 birds, two roosters, both flushed within 10 yards, but on the oppisite side of the Lilac. All I could do is listen to cackle, cackle, cackle. %^%^ of coarse hens were right in front of the gun though. She was bummed at me I think.:( Oh well one of these times they will make a mistake.:thumbsup:

Back