16 vs 12

pheasantaddict

Is the 16 ga ballistically better than the 12 ga by putting more shot on target and having a shorter shot string? Are there any other advantages besides weight?

I'm not so sure the 16 is better than the 12...............but I do have a Browning Sweet 16 (belgium made), modified choke, with a light blonde stock that I dearly love. Shells are a little harder to come by for the 16 especially if you end up in a small town in need of more shells.

GOOGLE 16 GA. SHOTGUN or Sweet Sixteen for some good info. You will see a lot of talk re the 16s made on 12 ga frames and the lack of ammo. There is a 16 site somewhere but I cannot seem to find it. Had a good discussion on PC last year about the topic.
I have an AYA #2 Roundbody in 16. I have shot it 13 times, killing 9 birds stone dead. The four misses were at two birds. The first time was the FIRST TIME I ever shot the gun and I just blew it on a straight away on the first bird of opening day that year. I missed one this year on a bird that got up behind me on my left. That's my good side but I did not have a slip on recoil pad apu on the gun because of heavy clothing, and the gun slid off the adj.buckle on my vest. That's my story (aka excuse), like it or not. I threw a second shot in desperation.
Otherwise, the gun has hammered the birds with std one and an eight oz loads. I do have a box of 1&1/4 which are hard to find.
When I traded a pile of guns (7) for the AYA, I had first picked up a 28 AYA thinking I would go to the smaller ga. and show my skills. When I picked up the 16, there was no question as to where I was going. The perfect balance and swing was just there and it came up like I had been shooting it forever.
The best options are the A-5, Model 12 Ithaca 37(old ) O/U or sxs.
________
Mercedes-benz v-class

Last edited:
I can't attest to the ballistic superiority of the 16 ga. but a couple of years ago I bought a Citori Featherlite in 16 ga and love it. It is extremely lite even considering it has a 28" barrel. This year while hunting in So Dakota some of the guys had trouble putting birds down with two & even three hits (12 ga). The birds I shot, I hammered (#4 lead) & they went down, I have to admit most of them were under points but were going away shots. There was one long shot I made on public ground using #2 steel that made me happy because although it looked as though the rooster would fly away unscathed he eventually took a nosedive & was dead upon hitting the ground.

Back