16 on a 20 frame

BleuBijou

Is this a pipe dream? Too have a 16 gauge o/u on a 20 frame? It is hard enough to find one on a 16 frame. Has anyone ever had a o/u special made?

Actually the Browning Citori 16's are built on a modified 20 ga. frame. Here's is something I copied from another forum regarding the 16 ga. Citori's.

This is a definitive answer as related to me right from an insider at Browning years ago. A vernier micrometer and an accurate weight scale will bear it out. I own both gauges (16 & 20) and have actually measured them side by side as well as weighed them. The 16 Ga Citori is built on a modified 20 ga frame that has been widened by .100" to allow for the wider barrel block necessitated by the slightly bigger chambers. The height is exactly the same as a 20 ga., because the 16 ga chambers fit well within the allowable space vertically.

Weightwise, the standard 16 ga Citori Lightning is marginally lighter than the 20 ga guns overall. The biggest factor is the lighter barrel block area due to the bigger chambers. (The 20 gauge is lighter than the 28 and .420 models for the same reason). There is less wood in the forend and the butt stocks are about identical except for a bit more wood width wise in the cheeks to match the wider receiver block.

If you have a Parker double 16, with a "o" frame it's on a twenty frame. All 16ga. Winchester model 12 pumps in 16ga. are on a twenty frame, all are lighter weight than a 20ga, on the same 20 frame.

new browning bps 16 gauge pumps are also on twenty frames. browning does a good job at keeping the 16 heart beating

If you went SXS the Merkel 1620 is exactly what it's name implies. A 16 gauge built on a 20 gauge frame. Awfully nice guns.

what we need is a browning 725 16 gauge

Or a Beretta SV10 Perennia III in a 16. I have three citori 16's two grade 1's and a superlight feather. The 725 is more like a Beretta which in my opinion is a good thing.

Back