13.5 Week old GSP DIGGER

GustavDaGSP

I have a 13.5 week old male GSP "HAWK" for almost 3weeks and he is starting to dig hole's in random spots in the backyard ! HELP :mad:

Last edited:
That's what they do. Mine still digs some getting moles and mice. He's four. My older female, 13, didn't stop until she was five or six.

He's bored.....

When you catch him doing it make sure you show him that it's not acceptable, but don't be harsh. Being a puppy he's still experiencing the world. Get some chew toys or give him more exercise. Puppies sleep a lot, but given too much time on their own they will look for things to do.

If all else fails then keep him confined when you can't supervise him. He may grow out of it soon.

Good luck with the pup.

He's bored.....

When you catch him doing it make sure you show him that it's not acceptable, but don't be harsh. Being a puppy he's still experiencing the world. Get some chew toys or give him more exercise. Puppies sleep a lot, but given too much time on their own they will look for things to do.

If all else fails then keep him confined when you can't supervise him. He may grow out of it soon.

Good luck with the pup.

PLUS one... we didn't have a yard for the first 2 years of my pup's life, but I followed these rules, and it kept life in balance -- when not supervised, pup is in crate/kennel. She loved to dig when at the beach, dog park, etc.. but anytime I see/saw her doing it in an inapropriate spot, she gets a reprimand. Not harsh, but tough enough, and I go over and stand on that spot. Kind of like, "this is mine, beat it"

remember. this time in their lives, it's all about patience (YOURS!). Good luck

Thanks everyone ! He is getting plenty of exercise two walks a day am/pm and small amounts of basic obidence and taking well to all but this diggin thing must just be him being a crazy shorthair ! :D

As I recall, at this stage they're basically ON or OFF. there is no medium for bird dog pups. They'll take as much play/exercise as you can throw at em. My guess is it's just extra energy in him.

sleep. eat. sleep. play. sleep. eat. play. sleep. play. sleep. repeat.

Leave him a hole in a place that is acceptable. My last Lab dug until I did that.

A buddy laid out and area where the dog could dig by his deck with some landscaping. worked like a charm

Back