11/18-11/21 Report-SE SD

akp

Four of us (me, dad, brother and son) arrived Saturday afternoon, unloaded and changed and hit a walk in a mile from the house I rented. Killed my first SD rooster within 30 minutes. Pup brought him right to my hand.

Day 1… saw few birds. Habitat not impressive. Killed 2 birds.

Day 2…saw few birds but we’d seen some flush wild the day before in a spot and made a plan and killed 3 late.

Day 3…headed north and east about 50 miles from where we were. Habitat was pathetic. Found birds in spots that didn’t look good at first glance. Off the road a ways. Hunted all public. Had luck today and three of us almost limited.

lessons learned. I hate bismuth 5 in the wind. Never again. I’ll drop to 4. Cost us three birds. Dirt CREP fields. One after another. Birds were in out of the way spots. Over the hill or just out of sight in spots that didn’t look good from the road. All in all a fun trip and am anxious to see it again in a year without habitat lacking.

Attachments

• IMG_7149.jpeg
    IMG_7149.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0948.jpeg
    IMG_0948.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:
We found out the hard way on a GPA that was full of birds. Gets my blood pressure up just thinking about it. Anyone wanna buy a bunch of Boss and Kent 5s? :mad:

Took my son to SD so took my daughter out this evening when I got home. A little “low brow” big game hunting. She wanted to go yesterday evening but I’d just made the drive home from SD and was beat.

Attachments

• IMG_7166.jpeg
    IMG_7166.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 39
Four of us (me, dad, brother and son) arrived Saturday afternoon, unloaded and changed and hit a walk in a mile from the house I rented. Killed my first SD rooster within 30 minutes. Pup brought him right to my hand.

Day 1… saw few birds. Habitat not impressive. Killed 2 birds.

Day 2…saw few birds but we’d seen some flush wild the day before in a spot and made a plan and killed 3 late.

Day 3…headed north and east about 50 miles from where we were. Habitat was pathetic. Found birds in spots that didn’t look good at first glance. Off the road a ways. Hunted all public. Had luck today and three of us almost limited.

lessons learned. I hate bismuth 5 in the wind. Never again. I’ll drop to 4. Cost us three birds. CREP habitat east of Mitchell was a joke. I know they had emergency haying but geez how pitiful. Dirt CREP fields. One after another. Birds were in out of the way spots. Over the hill or just out of sight in spots that didn’t look good from the road. All in all a fun trip and am anxious to see it again in a year without habitat lacking.
Great pic. No Gucci suburban, no paying 100s of dollars,no dog trailers. Thumbs up.

Great pic. No Gucci suburban, no paying 100s of dollars,no dog trailers. Thumbs up.
Gonna have to look up the Gucci Suburban model, Goose has piqued my interest on this one! :ROFLMAO:

We found some good habitat south of Mitchell that produced some birds. Went North today and found the bare dirt CREP. Sure wished I had read his post sooner. Did find some off closed/min maint roads adjacent to corn.

Definitely getting tougher out there the last 10 days. Fields that were producing limits in 45-60 minutes are now hen only or roosters flushing wild. Its another reason I love this bird. Its almost like three different seasons with open thanksgiving until snowfall being the most challenging on public. Next will be the concentration that comes with a good snowfall thats almost magical if your out there the day after.

We found out the hard way on a GPA that was full of birds. Gets my blood pressure up just thinking about it. Anyone wanna buy a bunch of Boss and Kent 5s? :mad:
I do! 2 3/4"? All i shoot for pheasants and late season mallards

CREP NW of Mitchell can also be pathetic, I'll know what it looks like in a couple of weeks, but over the last 5 years, we've found one that had decent cover but I see they took it out this year

Next will be the concentration that comes with a good snowfall thats almost magical if your out there the day after.
Looking at the forecast, that day may not be coming for quite a while. I am seeing near 60 degrees later this week in SE South Dakota. Potentially record breaking warmth for December.

Back