10 day hunt Gettysburg SD

James O

Day one staying at dukxdog bird bunk house I will be here for 12 days.
What a find,it is set up for the pheasant hunter in mind
Nicely furnished and plenty of room with pool table ,card table and more.
The best thing about this is the hunting.
I went out with bobby and we limited out on all public land.
That does not tell the whole story,I missed at least 6 easy shots at roosters
During hunt,some I shot at 3 times (great hunting bad shooting)
Hopefully I will shoot better today,but for me getting the shot is what counts

IMG_3827_zpspdl8qxf4.jpg

In one way I envy you. 10 days in SD chasing roosters. Those days should not count against your days on earth. That is time spent in Heaven. On the other hand my old legs would be done for at about day six. Getting old sucks. Good Luck.

Last edited:
Enjoy your stay! I was there for 10 days and time flew by. I could have stayed another 10 days. It was so nice and relaxing! Bobby is an excellent cook.:)

10 day hunt

Day 2 got my limit today and shot a lot better.
Weather was perfect ,light snow ,no wind and temp about 28
Knocked down one rooster could not find and missed one badly
3 for 5 today.Have 1.5 year old lab can't quite hunt dead yet
But we are working on it
Lots of fun watching dog

10 day hunt

In one way I envy you. 10 days in SD chasing roosters. Those days should not count against your days on earth. That is time spent in Heaven. On the other hand my old legs would be done for at about day six. Getting old sucks. Good Luck.

Well sneem it's ok not to hunt 10 days if I get tired at 5 days that's good
If I lived closer I would do 5 days.So I will see what happens either way
Its a lot of fun.When it's time to go home I'll go no problem.

hi James, stayed there with friends one night while they hunted public lands in mid Neov. it is a nice place to stay while hunting in Getgysburg. be safe , good hunting!

10 day hunt

Day 3 headed for WIA spot .temp about 28 ,wind 15 mph and snowing not to strong.driving down section line and spoted a ton of birds flying in and out of weed patch.Slowly stop truck,as quite as possible open door grab gun take key
Out of ingnition ,it was beeping,shut door slowly.
LOCKED KEY IN TRUCK,NO SPARE,WHAT A MOVE!!!
No hat,no gloves,just me and gun and dog
So I got on phone found locksmith but could not tell him where I was exactly.
Started walking down road to find street #flagged down lady in car who stopped
And talked to locksmith and new him.What nice people in SD she said I could hunt on her small property if I wanted also.
Anyway got truck opened got to WIA area found lots of birds limited out in about
2 hours.
Got to love hunting in SD even if your a dope!!!

Glad you are doing so well Jim. Sounds like Kate is learning a lot too. December is the time to see huge numbers of birds daily. Keep it up! I enjoyed the couple days we hunted together.

10 day hunt

Well back in rancho mirage CA
I hunted 8 days,I limited out the first 5 days hunting public areas.
It snowed the 5th day about 12".After that the birds started to bunch up
All small areas I hunted before snow were covered up or very little cover.
So the hunting changed.Lots of birds but very skidish,could not get close to them
or if you shot at one they would all flush.I still had shots that were longer than I wanted and some nice pass shooting.I believe if I was a better
Shot at distances of say 40-55 yards I would have limited out the final days also
I spent to much time trying to sneak up on flocks of birds.Also was not to good at pass shooting birds.having said that I think you have to be prepared for what the conditions are.A lot or birds flew back into private areas also.
Still a great hunt my 1.5 year old lab Kate did great learned a lot also started hunting dead birds.She did her job
Next year I will be a better shot!!
Good shooting =less miles on 65 year old legs and young dog

Thanks for coming out to hunt and staying at my house. Glad you had a good time and Kate did so well. I enjoyed hunting with you the first couple of days.

Put the other shims back in the Benelli. Ha!

I look forward to you returning next year and we'll spend some more days in the field.

Back