1,2,3+ year old pheasants

Status
Not open for further replies.
=small munsterlander owner;229358]I have to say you may be going in circles??? Or just covering all bases to be correct??? I was just answering your any experienced turkey hunter can tell a 2yr old bird from 3 year old bird standing side by side comment... Now you say you maid that point in another post???

I made a point about there being exceptions to the "rules" in terms of characteristics of older/mature birds in another post (maybe even two).

To your point within your post;
Birds in 3 sub species I've seen 26.8 pound 2 year olds & 17 Pound 1.3/8 inch spurred old timers genetic not age there... Not trying g to argue or go in circles but we gotta compare Apple's to Apple's

That was my point "man":cheers:

Your "apples to apples" point---My point was someone (or maybe I should use the word "some") who has a lot experience around such creatures can tell the difference between 1,2,3+ year old birds. To further that point (I know it's not a pheasant or "apples to apples") I've had 3 or 4 whitetail heads laid out and thawing at my shop. On a few accusations experienced whitetail hunters or as I like to call them "whitetail nuts" will come in and immediately age the whitetails by looking at their faces---Not their racks, but their faces. When I flesh them and age them by observing/measuring the wear their teeth I've found those "whitetail guys" are always dead on. I, on the other hand can NOT do that with deer. They've shown me what to look but but for the life of me, I can't age a deer like that. I Just don't have "an eye" for that when it comes to deer. I have to age them by the wear on their teeth--for now.

This was my "experience" point. It's not necessarily the experience of how long someone has been hunting or how many of this or that they've shot in their life-time, but an experience of someone who has time observing/studying/taking notice the anatomy of the bird or animal even to a point where their movements can show signs of their age. You and I and many others on this forum can tell the difference between a hen and a rooster by the beat of their wings. We don't need to see the bird to know what sex they are. This runs along the lines of my point. You--S.M.--can tell the difference between a 1,2,3+ year old pheasant. My brother, who has been hunting pheasants for a long time can not. Nor can he tell the difference between a hen or a rooster by the sound their wings make. He's never taken notice of such differences. He's a good pheasant hunter. Knows his stuff. Great shot and all, but again he doesn't notice the small, subtle, differences between 1,2,3+. Nothing wrong with that. Just in his case such things are not something he gives a rats rear end about. lol

Last edited:
I made a point about there being exceptions to the "rules" in terms of characteristics of older/mature birds in another post (maybe even two).

To your point within your post;

That was my point "man":cheers:

Your "apples to apples" point---My point was someone who has a lot experience around such creatures can tell the difference between 1,2,3+ year old birds. To further that point (I know it's not a pheasant or "apples to apples") I've had 3 or 4 whitetail heads laid out and thawing at my shop. On a few accusations experienced whitetail hunters or as I like to call them "whitetail nuts" will come in and immediately age the whitetails by looking at their faces---Not their racks, but their faces. When I flesh them and age them by observing/measuring the wear their teeth I've found those "whitetail guys" are always dead on. I, on the other hand can NOT do that with deer. They've shown me what to look but but for the life of me, I can't age a deer like that. I Just don't have "an eye" for that when it comes to deer. I have to age them by the wear on their teeth--for now.

This was my "experience" point. It's not necessarily the experience of how long someone has been hunting or how many of this or that they've shot in their life-time, but an experience of someone who has time with the anatomy of the bird or animal even to a point where their movements can show signs of their age. You and I and many others on this forum can tell the difference between a hen and a rooster by the beat of their wings. We don't need to see the bird to know what sex they are. This runs along the lines of my point. You--S.M.--can tell the difference between a 1,2,3+ year old pheasant. My brother, who has been hunting pheasants for a long time can not. Nor can he tell the difference between a hen or a rooster by the sound their wings make. He's never taken notice of such differences. He's a good pheasant hunter. Knows his stuff. Great shot and all, but again he doesn't notice the small, subtle, differences between 1,2,3+. Nothing wrong with that. Just in his case such things are not something he gives a rats rear end about. lol

Write on got ya...

I know when I had a biologist come take some wing & I think livers from our prairie chickens we shot one year in MN he gave me the biologist run down on how to age & sex prairie grouse etc. Said biologist go by 3 out of 5 sign to guess sex & age vs just 1 aspect of animal was wing tips feathers near shoulder & cackle for sex age can't really remember other then he said best Mounters ate in late fall to winter...

I know on young rooster pheasant u can test age by hold thumb & index finger in lower jaw/beak & a young birds lower beak will break due to body weight older birds will support there own body weight that with spur & wing tips u can get a idea of age sometimes... Yes there are exceptions I agree...

I've also herd guys who hunt turkey longer then I've been alive say some just ignorant myths also the best 1 is a guy who claims only old old gobblers have white heads lol I told him dude look his head changes color he plug ears or something lol fact & opinion are good u like facts to go by lol

Have a good 1

Yeah- I agree, you can get birds on public land. If I go by myself, I get on some good private places, but even in Montana, it's getting sort of hard to get on private ranches.Most public places get hammered.Out of state hunters, in October.These guys who pay hunt, have an advantage over the guys that don't, but I really earn everything I get.I don't have some paid honcho putting me right onto the birds. I have to work really hard to get birds, and so does my dog. I can see a time ahead, where free hunting, will not exist, except on public land.Sad.

100% times worse in SD guys. Will plow up habitat if them yuppies don't pay habitat by gun point pay me $$$ or I plow it or run cattle on it... Same thing in end land sit there ideal unless $$$ has changed hands that's sad.

We still have public birds to chase on public I doubt 100% of Montana is hogged up by non staters SD does get hammered have u ever seen a travel bus from Florida with a dog trailor attached in MT hunting... I know Montana gets infested by some filson hunters come fall but gotta try some less popular areas??? Try another state how long does it take ya to get to western Nebraska or SW Nebraska??? I'll put ya on birds

Okay fellas;) We're forming two threads within one here. I believe there's more than one thread discussing the topic of private, pay, public on the forum. It's always interesting to hear everyone's view/take on the subject but I would like to keep this thread on topic okay?

Thank you.:cheers:

Small Musnsy--did you happen to get that old burly bird back from your taxi yet?

Last edited:
100% times worse in SD guys. Will plow up habitat if them yuppies don't pay habitat by gun point pay me $$$ or I plow it or run cattle on it... Same thing in end land sit there ideal unless $$$ has changed hands that's sad.

We still have public birds to chase on public I doubt 100% of Montana is hogged up by non staters SD does get hammered have u ever seen a travel bus from Florida with a dog trailor attached in MT hunting... I know Montana gets infested by some filson hunters come fall but gotta try some less popular areas??? Try another state how long does it take ya to get to western Nebraska or SW Nebraska??? I'll put ya on birds

I might try Nebrasky for turkey. I hear it's good. Pheasant, I don't know, it's a cruise from where I live.

lol like saying Im against private land if you have read my posts over the years you would know I've never been anti private land I'm anti PAY TO HUNT private land... B/S

Sorry, between your anti pay to hunt posts plus the signature on your posts says, "be a man & hunt public land..." I just assumed that you were anti private land in general. I'll do a better job of reading the posts in the future.

Sorry, between your anti pay to hunt posts plus the signature on your posts says, "be a man & hunt public land..." I just assumed that you were anti private land in general. I'll do a better job of reading the posts in the future.

Maybe just don't assume things in the future that a better idea...???

Maybe just don't assume things in the future that a better idea...???

Yeah, and maybe put some grammatical effort into your posts in the future so that we don't have to try and assume what you are saying?

A wise man once told me, you know what happens when you assume things? It makes an a$$ out of you and me.

Come on.

I'm going to lock this thread for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back