Water in the field...

JMc

Super Moderator
Just thought I would share what I do. For many years, I struggled to find the best way to water my doggos while hunting. Several years ago, I picked up a 20 qt cooler that was in pretty good shape. A light bulb went off and I filled it with water. When the dogs get back to the truck, the cooler goes down and everybody gets a drink. I do carry a bottle and collapsible bowl with me if needed; however, the cooler drink station has been a game changer. Let me know what you think or do differently.

What I do is I have a plastic milk crate which fits four, 1 gallon jugs perfectly. I just use old milk gallon jugs that I've rinsed out, fill each one and keep them in the crate and have the crate at the back of the truck. I keep my collapsible dog bowl in the crate too. Easy to grab just one gallon jug to water the dogs. And at the end of the day, I only have to carry in one or 2 jugs to fill it for the next day.

I fill a small bucket with a cover and keep that in the back of my truck.

I don't carry water while I'm actually hunting. My hunting spots are all less than an hour at a time, and I don't hunt in the heat or warmth of October anyways.

I use this around the truck. I put it down before the dogs are released and before we hunt almost every field. The 3.5 gallon size has been big enough to water 4 dogs for a day in most weather. Sometimes I'll skip the first field if it's cold enough to worry about the water freezing. My dogs expect it to be there; you can tell when they have decided they are done with the field and ready for a drink. I'm usually done with the field by then too. If I ever forget they give me the stink eye. Other dogs I had were reluctant to drink when everyone was milling around the truck after finishing a walk. Putting down the water before hunting solved that. Doing that gave them a couple minutes "by themselves" to drink before all the hunters got there. Other dogs didn't seem to matter as much as the people. They drink after almost every field.

During chicken season (it's still pretty hot then), or if I'm expecting a long time away from the truck, I'll carry a couple of 1-liter bottles and a collapsible bowl. Once I forgot the bowl and had to use my hat.

I use this around the truck. I put it down before the dogs are released and before we hunt almost every field. The 3.5 gallon size has been big enough to water 4 dogs for a day in most weather. Sometimes I'll skip the first field if it's cold enough to worry about the water freezing. My dogs expect it to be there; you can tell when they have decided they are done with the field and ready for a drink. I'm usually done with the field by then too. If I ever forget they give me the stink eye. Other dogs I had were reluctant to drink when everyone was milling around the truck after finishing a walk. Putting down the water before hunting solved that. Doing that gave them a couple minutes "by themselves" to drink before all the hunters got there. Other dogs didn't seem to matter as much as the people. They drink after almost every field.

During chicken season (it's still pretty hot then), or if I'm expecting a long time away from the truck, I'll carry a couple of 1-liter bottles and a collapsible bowl. Once I forgot the bowl and had to use my hat.
I like that contraption but man I don't like the price haha

We have multiple plastic coffee tubs with lids. That way all the dogs at just hunted can get a drink at the same time. Then we carry 3-4 extra gallons to refill those as needed. Top everything off the night before and all ready for the next day. Works for us.

I carry afield in my game bag a 1.5 liter bottle of water and a little plastic bowl - actually a small former margarine tub. Even after just 20 - 30 minutes of hunting on a mild day my dog wants a drink. After about an hour and a half of hunting, the 1.5 liters is nearly gone. In the vehicle i have a 7.5 gal blue plastic jerry can with a spigot from Walmart that holds plenty for a trip.

Last edited:

It doesn't get much easier than this. It'll last all day for two dogs no problem. In the field I carry water bottles and collapsible dish. If I just pour water out of a bottle over her muzzle Skye will drink, but she always coughs and hacks like some of it went down the wrong pipe.

I have a hydration bladder that holds 96 ounces of water. Usually lasts pretty good and dogs have no problem drinking out of it. Works good for us…

I like that contraption but man I don't like the price haha
Agreed It isn't cheap. But they are incredibly well made, just like their kennels!

Agreed It isn't cheap. But they are incredibly well made, just like their kennels!
It is well made, although IMO it has one design flaw described below. I wouldn't likely have bought it for my self, but the wife is always looking for birthday/Christmas ideas for her or for my kids to give to me. Before this I used a 7 gallon jerry can from walmart and a bowl. I like this better.

As for the design flaw, it has to do with emptying it out when I get home. There's a third hole on the bottom of the handle that is for emptying it. It will allow most of the water to drain, but not all of it. You have to tip it back and forth several times to really get it empty. That isn't a huge deal, but the stopper for that hole was a problem that I had to fix. The stopper that shipped with my unit several years ago was virtually impossible to remove and replace. It was shaped like two mushrooms connected at the stem, or maybe an installed rivet. It took a really sharp fingernail to lift the edge and get it out and I could never get it to seal properly once I had removed it. Solved the issue with an ordinary rubber stopper available from any hardware store or home center.

I keep an old 2.5 gallon Coleman cooler in my truck. Easy to clean. Doesn't freeze as quickly as plastic water jugs in winter and I can refill water bottles from it. I carry water bottles in my vest in warm weather or if I'm going to be gone from the truck for a while. I also filter my dogs water in the motel room to minimize stomach issues on trips.

Attachments

• 1712933167507.png
    1712933167507.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
I also have one of these things but I don't use it often. It's a pain to get the water out of it. They didn't put a drain in the original design. I might end up drilling a hole and putting in a rubber stopper. I normally hunt with two dogs and a single food bowl doesn't do much good. I've started using it for some hunt tests, since I only do that with one dog and I can have a days food and water in a single container. I want to like it but I'm not there yet.

Attachments

• 1712934753288.png
    1712934753288.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I recycle soda pop bottles ranging in size from 8 oz to 2 liters depending on the hunt.
Pop bottles are lightweight and essentially free.
I also like them that I can easily drink water to rehydrate on the drive home.

It doesn't get much easier than this. It'll last all day for two dogs no problem. In the field I carry water bottles and collapsible dish. If I just pour water out of a bottle over her muzzle Skye will drink, but she always coughs and hacks like some of it went down the wrong pipe.
Another vote for the Ruffland. Easy to fill and easy to drain left over water at the end of day.

If I just pour water out of a bottle over her muzzle Skye will drink, but she always coughs and hacks like some of it went down the wrong pipe.
What I've found helps with my dog drinking right out of the bottle, is try and hold the bottle slightly above a 90 degree angle. If her head has to get too vertical, too much gets on her muzzle, at a 90 degree angle it's like drinking out of a garden hose for them. Still get the occasional hacking but seems to help.

Back