Preferred 20 Gauge Shell

Munster -- Here's some info on your topic that may be of interest.

20ga lead and steel pheasant loads
If you are shooting pheasants with a 20-gauge, go with 2 ¾-inch 1-ounce or 3-inch 1 1/4-ounce loads with lead #6s or #5s. Choked appropriately, those loads should take care of any pheasant shooting out to about 40 yards, if you can put the pattern on the front end of the bird!

Here are a few of my pattern numbers to give you an idea of how my pheasant reloads perform in my gun.

Patterns from a 20-gauge Browning Citori with 28" Invector-plus barrels and Briley flush chokes (patterns average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, and in-shell pellet count average of five).

20 GA 2 ¾” RELOAD (BLUE DOT)
1 oz #6 lead (233 pellets) @ 1200 fps

30 YARDS – SK / pattern 147 (63%)
30 YARDS – IC / pattern 168 (72%)
40 YARDS – M / pattern 146 (63%)
40 YARDS – IM / pattern 163 (70%)

20 GA 3" RELOAD (BLUE DOT)
1 1/8 oz #5 lead (190 pellets) @ 1220 fps

30 YARDS – SK / pattern 140 (74%)
30 YARDS – IC / pattern 149 (78%)
40 YARDS – M / pattern 138 (73%)
40 YARDS – IM / pattern 147 (77%)

If you need or choose to shoot 20-gauge steel loads at pheasant, go with 3-inch 1-ounce loads of either #3 or #2 steel. Steel shot lethality research on pheasants conducted by Tom Roster showed #2 steel to be more effective (at all ranges) than either #6 or #4 steel. Yes, you can kill pheasants with #4 or #6 steel loads, but a little extra pellet energy is a good thing on wild pheasants where shots tend to be going-away and can get on the long side. The research also showed #2 steel resulted in fewer cripples than both #6 and #4 steel; and Roster also speculated that the #3 steel pellet would be a good compromise between pellet count and downrange energy.

Here are a few of my pattern numbers to give you an idea of how these loads perform in my gun.

Pattern numbers from a 20-gauge Browning Citori with 28" Invector-plus barrels and Briley flush chokes (patterns average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, and in-shell pellet count average of five).

20 GA 3" WINCHESTER DRYLOK SUPER-X STEEL LOAD
1 oz #3 steel (145 pellets) @ 1330 fps

30 YARDS – SK / pattern 114 (78%)
30 YARDS – IC / pattern 123 (85%)
40 YARDS – IM / pattern 106 (73%)
40 YARDS – LF / pattern 110 (76%)

20 GA 3" REMINGTON NITRO-STEEL MAGNUM LOAD
1 oz #2 steel (118 pellets) @ 1330 fps

30 YARDS – SK / pattern 101 (86%)
30 YARDS – IC / pattern 105 (89%)
40 YARDS – IM / pattern 99 (84%)
40 YARDS – LF / pattern 102 (86%)

Good luck!

Munster -- Here's some info on your topic that may be of interest.

20ga lead and steel pheasant loads
If you are shooting pheasants with a 20-gauge, go with 2 ¾-inch 1-ounce or 3-inch 1 1/4-ounce loads with lead #6s or #5s. Choked appropriately, those loads should take care of any pheasant shooting out to about 40 yards, if you can put the pattern on the front end of the bird!

Here are a few of my pattern numbers to give you an idea of how my pheasant reloads perform in my gun.

Patterns from a 20-gauge Browning Citori with 28" Invector-plus barrels and Briley flush chokes (patterns average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, and in-shell pellet count average of five).

20 GA 2 ¾” RELOAD (BLUE DOT)
1 oz #6 lead (233 pellets) @ 1200 fps

30 YARDS – SK / pattern 147 (63%)
30 YARDS – IC / pattern 168 (72%)
40 YARDS – M / pattern 146 (63%)
40 YARDS – IM / pattern 163 (70%)

20 GA 3" RELOAD (BLUE DOT)
1 1/8 oz #5 lead (190 pellets) @ 1220 fps

30 YARDS – SK / pattern 140 (74%)
30 YARDS – IC / pattern 149 (78%)
40 YARDS – M / pattern 138 (73%)
40 YARDS – IM / pattern 147 (77%)

If you need or choose to shoot 20-gauge steel loads at pheasant, go with 3-inch 1-ounce loads of either #3 or #2 steel. Steel shot lethality research on pheasants conducted by Tom Roster showed #2 steel to be more effective (at all ranges) than either #6 or #4 steel. Yes, you can kill pheasants with #4 or #6 steel loads, but a little extra pellet energy is a good thing on wild pheasants where shots tend to be going-away and can get on the long side. The research also showed #2 steel resulted in fewer cripples than both #6 and #4 steel; and Roster also speculated that the #3 steel pellet would be a good compromise between pellet count and downrange energy.

Here are a few of my pattern numbers to give you an idea of how these loads perform in my gun.

Pattern numbers from a 20-gauge Browning Citori with 28" Invector-plus barrels and Briley flush chokes (patterns average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, and in-shell pellet count average of five).

20 GA 3" WINCHESTER DRYLOK SUPER-X STEEL LOAD
1 oz #3 steel (145 pellets) @ 1330 fps

30 YARDS – SK / pattern 114 (78%)
30 YARDS – IC / pattern 123 (85%)
40 YARDS – IM / pattern 106 (73%)
40 YARDS – LF / pattern 110 (76%)

20 GA 3" REMINGTON NITRO-STEEL MAGNUM LOAD
1 oz #2 steel (118 pellets) @ 1330 fps

30 YARDS – SK / pattern 101 (86%)
30 YARDS – IC / pattern 105 (89%)
40 YARDS – IM / pattern 99 (84%)
40 YARDS – LF / pattern 102 (86%)

Good luck!
Thanks a lot for this. Really helpful.

I bought some of the Hevi Hammer 3" 20 ga for my wife for hunting in SD.
These. It is easier to give her just one shell to hunt everything and everywhere than to try to make sure she didn't have lead in a place where she shouldn't. They seemed to work really well for her from her Franchi Veloce with cylinder and I/c

1710253877870.png

I bought some of the Hevi Hammer 3" 20 ga for my wife for hunting in SD.
These. It is easier to give her just one shell to hunt everything and everywhere than to try to make sure she didn't have lead in a place where she shouldn't. They seemed to work really well for her from her Franchi Veloce with cylinder and I/c

View attachment 7796

Those are really good shells. I shot some ducks with them and they worked well. I got a box cheap and liked them, but would not pay the asking price for them personally. Just have to count them as steel shot, theres only 20 bismuth pellets in the 1oz 3s.

Those are really good shells. I shot some ducks with them and they worked well. I got a box cheap and liked them, but would not pay the asking price for them personally. Just have to count them as steel shot, theres only 20 bismuth pellets in the 1oz 3s.
Exactly how I feel about them. I actually use them a lot in the 5 shot version for grouse/chukar/ptarmigan. They throw an amazing pattern from my guns compared to anything else I've shot. Probably because it's only 1325 fps with steel. I personally don't believe the bismuth does anything good and maybe even makes it worse, but I go by pattern first and foremost. If you get them on sale like $22-25/box, it's just like buying good steel.

Exactly how I feel about them. I actually use them a lot in the 5 shot version for grouse/chukar/ptarmigan. They throw an amazing pattern from my guns compared to anything else I've shot. Probably because it's only 1325 fps with steel. I personally don't believe the bismuth does anything good and maybe even makes it worse, but I go by pattern first and foremost. If you get them on sale like $22-25/box, it's just like buying good steel.

I bet it works very well for those "medium" sized birds. Theres nothing wrong with hevi-shot ammo, its just their misleading marketing and outrageous prices that turn me off. For years i shot hevi-steel 12ga for 12.99/box for goose hunting and they were absolutely quality shells, now they are 30.99 though and I wont pay that.

The hevi-hammer upland is $37.99 msrp now.

Also their payloads are light, the listed payload includes the weight of the wad and the filler (seeds) along with the shot. But it is what it is.

I like 3 inch shells in my 20 ga shotgun when hunting upland. good buddy once told me that if your going to drive a long distance to go hunting (coming from Washington state to North Dakota) you might cinsider the few extra bucks To make sure you have what you feel is premium ammo. I hunt behind flushers so often my shooting is a bit farther than those with pointers. I have found that I like Fiocchi golden pheasant #4 or #5 in 3 inch, 1 1/4 oz, 1300 fps loads. Yeah I could probably shoot them in 1 oz but my feeling is for an extra dollar or so a box I lean toward the couple extra pellets. These are nickel plated and kick Is light. irs all a choice but the Fiocchi patterns well in my gun. No matter your choice, take the time to pattern your gun with the ammo and distances you expect to shoot birds. You‘ll be happy you did.

I have always said there is no point in limiting yourself shooting subpar or budget ammo. Ive had honest talks with guys who say they WILL NOT pay more than $10/box for ammo (this was before covid). They also shoot a $2500 o/u, have professionally trained pointers that cost who knows how much for the 6mo boarding at the trainer, drive a $60,000 SUV, and are wearing more money in upland gear than I have purchased in my entire life. But that extra $5-10 a box when they shoot 1 box a year? Unreasonable and unnecessary.

Ammo is the cheapest part of pheasant hunting. Its why I am switching to handload TSS and have no issues paying the $2/shot it will cost. If i shoot 10 times thats an extra $10 over premium lead spent that day..

their misleading marketing
That is what is wrong with hevi-shot ammo though. They leave a lot of things vague and then silently change things around. If they were transparent about how they come about decisions rather than "hits harder" I would support them a lot more with what they are trying to do. It's just the over the top marketing makes me distrust them. Again I do still use some because it patterned well, but I begrudgingly do so.

We've talked this in a previous thread, but I also am handloading TSS this year. Very excited to see how it works. My cost is about $1.66-$2.05/shell. But that doesn't include my time spent making them. Still a small cost compare to the rest as you said. I'll report back next year how well it pans out.

That is what is wrong with hevi-shot ammo though. They leave a lot of things vague and then silently change things around. If they were transparent about how they come about decisions rather than "hits harder" I would support them a lot more with what they are trying to do. It's just the over the top marketing makes me distrust them. Again I do still use some because it patterned well, but I begrudgingly do so.

We've talked this in a previous thread, but I also am handloading TSS this year. Very excited to see how it works. My cost is about $1.66-$2.05/shell. But that doesn't include my time spent making them. Still a small cost compare to the rest as you said. I'll report back next year how well it pans out.

What gauge are you loading for? Another member and I are each going to work on 20ga this off season and keep in touch. I can keep you in the loop also regarding my data and pattern/penetration tests as well if you are doing 20.

What gauge are you loading for? Another member and I are each going to work on 20ga this off season and keep in touch. I can keep you in the loop also regarding my data and pattern/penetration tests as well if you are doing 20.
Going 410 since I am doing pure TSS not duplex. I have a 3/8 oz #11 (1700fps) for those medium/small birds and then a 1/2oz #9 (1350 fps) for pheasant and maybe duck. Both patterned great and basically zero recoil. Testing out a single shot gun as well to help teach myself shot selection. It weighs 4lbs which is gonna be great for my 15 mile 2-3k elevation hunts for chukar and ptarmigan.

I think I paid less than $20 per box for the Hevi Hammer that I bought for my wife last fall, six boxes will last her the rest of her life! I did find them on sale.

I don't have any 20 gauge lead 7.5's at home, so I decided to buy a case this week. Inventory isn't the best this time of year but I did find some Winchester Super X 2.75", 1 oz loads @1220 fps for $142, shipping and tax included. I thought that was a decent price and should work well enough for hunt tests, training and some quail in the fall. I just ordered a CZ Upland Ultralight in 20 gauge that can shoot a 3 inch shell but I have an older A5 20 that is limited to 2.75" shells, so I'm sticking with the shorter shell in 20 gauge just to keep it simple.

I don't reload shotgun ammo and normally prefer to buy Kent or Fiocchi w/ Winchester as my fall back.

I don't have any 20 gauge lead 7.5's at home, so I decided to buy a case this week. Inventory isn't the best this time of year but I did find some Winchester Super X 2.75", 1 oz loads @1220 fps for $142, shipping and tax included. I thought that was a decent price and should work well enough for hunt tests, training and some quail in the fall. I just ordered a CZ Upland Ultralight in 20 gauge that can shoot a 3 inch shell but I have an older A5 20 that is limited to 2.75" shells, so I'm sticking with the shorter shell in 20 gauge just to keep it simple.

I don't reload shotgun ammo and normally prefer to buy Kent or Fiocchi w/ Winchester as my fall back.
I checked out the CZ ultralight at Scheels when I ordered my Citori. That thing was incredibly light.

There is actually a fair amount of research out there on ideal loads for each gauge. I believe for the 20 ga it is thought that the 2-3/4 is the best with 7/8 or 1oz of shot since that is what they call a 'square" load. Anything bigger and you get a longer shot string, although it might be nice to have another 1/8 when hunting late season pheasants or waterfowl. I also like the unported Briley chokes for my Benellis. I really like the light modified which is in-between IC and Mod. And I also shoot the Fast Leads or Fiocchis in #5, and 7-1/2or 8's for ruff grouse, quail and woodcock. I have shot a bunch of 3" shells and honestly I'm not sure I could tell the difference, other than on my wallet...!!

There is actually a fair amount of research out there on ideal loads for each gauge. I believe for the 20 ga it is thought that the 2-3/4 is the best with 7/8 or 1oz of shot since that is what they call a 'square" load. Anything bigger and you get a longer shot string, although it might be nice to have another 1/8 when hunting late season pheasants or waterfowl. I also like the unported Briley chokes for my Benellis. I really like the light modified which is in-between IC and Mod. And I also shoot the Fast Leads or Fiocchis in #5, and 7-1/2or 8's for ruff grouse, quail and woodcock. I have shot a bunch of 3" shells and honestly I'm not sure I could tell the difference, other than on my wallet...!!
I really hate the term square load. None of the loads are even close to square. it's just a buzz word. And it really depends on shot hardness and wad design more than ratio.

I prefer another guideline that is simply your gun weight should be 96 times the payload weight. So if you are shooting 1 oz loads, your gun should be 96 oz or 6lbs. Which is right at the typical 20 gauges. Just a guideline so you can go heavier or lighter, but good way to manage for recoil,

I checked out the CZ ultralight at Scheels when I ordered my Citori. That thing was incredibly light.
I was going to buy a used Citori but somebody bought it the night before I went in to get it, so I went ahead and ordered the CZ. The weight was one the biggest reasons I bought it. I need an O/U for upcoming AKC hunt tests and a couple people recommended it to me. It should come in this week.

I was going to buy a used Citori but somebody bought it the night before I went in to get it, so I went ahead and ordered the CZ. The weight was one the biggest reasons I bought it. I need an O/U for upcoming AKC hunt tests and a couple people recommended it to me. It should come in this week.
I contemplated the CZ for a bit after handling it but it seems to be 50/50 on if you get a good one or not. Plus I'm a pretty big Browning fan boy haha

I contemplated the CZ for a bit after handling it but it seems to be 50/50 on if you get a good one or not. Plus I'm a pretty big Browning fan boy haha
This is going to be used a lot for hunt tests and dog training as much as anything else. It comes with sling studs which will allow me to use a sling to put it on my back when I need two hands on a dog and it's cerakoted which is great for bad weather days too. I have guns I'm emotionally attached to but this one is just a tool and I can hand it to someone that's going to be a gunner for my dog and not get all puckered up. A lot to like about it on paper and if I don't like it for whatever reason, I'll move it on down the road.

Curious if a longer shot string is really all bad. I think most will agree that straight away birds are the toughest to kill at longer distances. With my 3 inch 1 1/4 20 gauge golden pheasants, wouldnt I have an additional 25 percent of bb’s chasing that bird going straight away?

Back