New Law

Are there plenty of birds? Would you rather have too many ringnecks oust the hens out of the winter cover, or let nr hunt/harvest them? If there are plenty of birds, why restrict the length of the season or the bag limit. Goose- if you think it is crowded in your state, you ought to try a public hunting area in the East on opening day or Thanksgiving. PA, OH, & MI have people lined up nearly shoulder to shoulder at these times in certain areas. To shoot RELEASED BIRDS! I am sure other eastern states have this overcrowding problem too.
Those people are starting to come out west.I saw some hunters from Ohio last fall!

Actually in Goose’s own strange way he makes a point. MT is really too easy on nonresident hunters and yes I am one. One cheap license for the whole season and allowing “professional “ trainers all the time and access. Other states don’t offer that good of a deal. Those dog trailers and big strings of dogs just piss off the locals. Other states give the residents first access to the public land birds and limited license times. I have been going there for 30 years and I cope by not going till Nov because of the crowds. I wouldn’t mind paying more and having less people. Yes I also drive a suburban but it has 150,000 miles and some dents.
While I don’t personally hunt Montana and instead come from Washington State to hunt North Dakota yearly. Can agree with a shortened Non-resident license. NODak allows two weeks on the initial non-res license. personally, imalso dont hunt opening weekend. While I could hunt it I know the residents are in the field and give them their space. We come during the week after and rarely see another hunter in the field.
I agree that Montana could leave opener for upland for locals and then open it after the weekend. Still plenty of birds and this would be a reas change. Also, shortened hunts for non-res. If you want to hunt longer, maybe having them purchase additional license to cover another period. this wouldn’t push out of state hunters out and would generate more funds.

While I don’t personally hunt Montana and instead come from Washington State to hunt North Dakota yearly. Can agree with a shortened Non-resident license. NODak allows two weeks on the initial non-res license. personally, imalso dont hunt opening weekend. While I could hunt it I know the residents are in the field and give them their space. We come during the week after and rarely see another hunter in the field.
I agree that Montana could leave opener for upland for locals and then open it after the weekend. Still plenty of birds and this would be a reas change. Also, shortened hunts for non-res. If you want to hunt longer, maybe having them purchase additional license to cover another period. this wouldn’t push out of state hunters out and would generate more funds.
They need to limit out of state hunters.Most states do. These guys are spending weeks in Montana, and probably north Dakota. Also more low bagger outfitters are guiding for birds now.I saw these 4 guys from Minnesota all over the place, hunting only public land.They were Bush leaguers.

They need to limit out of state hunters.Most states do. These guys are spending weeks in Montana, and probably north Dakota. Also more low bagger outfitters are guiding for birds now.I saw these 4 guys from Minnesota all over the place, hunting only public land.They were Bush leaguers.
Our group 4-5 of us don’t use guides. We’ve spent a fair amount of years locating areas to hunt in NODak. We also don’t hunt the southwest corner of the state where the majority of folks hunt yearly. for us, coming from Washington state where hunting is abysmal our time in NODak is usually only a week. a few might make a second trip. It truly isnt about huge numbers of birds. It’s about time spent with friends as we age- youngest in his 40’s and oldest in 70’s. we hope to continue this tradition while our health is still good. We recognize and respect the land owners and residents of this beautiful state.

Our group 4-5 of us don’t use guides. We’ve spent a fair amount of years locating areas to hunt in NODak. We also don’t hunt the southwest corner of the state where the majority of folks hunt yearly. for us, coming from Washington state where hunting is abysmal our time in NODak is usually only a week. a few might make a second trip. It truly isnt about huge numbers of birds. It’s about time spent with friends as we age- youngest in his 40’s and oldest in 70’s. we hope to continue this tradition while our health is still good. We recognize and respect the land owners and residents of this

Our group 4-5 of us don’t use guides. We’ve spent a fair amount of years locating areas to hunt in NODak. We also don’t hunt the southwest corner of the state where the majority of folks hunt yearly. for us, coming from Washington state where hunting is abysmal our time in NODak is usually only a week. a few might make a second trip. It truly isnt about huge numbers of birds. It’s about time spent with friends as we age- youngest in his 40’s and oldest in 70’s. we hope to continue this tradition while our health is still good. We recognize and respect the land owners and residents of this beautiful state.
I think you are selling washington state short....

I think you are selling washington state short....
While there are some birds such as chukar on the hills in eastern Washington, there isn’t much in the way of pheasant that isn’t supplemented by the Washington dept of fish and wlldlife. Every year they release in excess of 10,000 roosters. Oh there are places with birds but we’ve also beat on plenty of doors over the years.
if you look at NODak laws, there is electronic posting in the last couple years and paper posting still exists. state. Laws if the crops are down and the land is not posted in electronuc/paper postings you don’t have to ask to hunt. Prices/ costs for a week in NODak for a non resident are cheaper and the land is open and beautiful. The folks are much friendlier as well. We’ve stayed in hotels and rental cabins and spent less overall then we do in Washington. The quality of birds is much better - Sharpies, Huns, and Pheasants.
Washington has done little over the last 40 years to encourage upland hunters. Ya, for great hunting I’ll take most any state besides this one.

You keep saying "they need to limit out of state hunters cause most states do". WRONG. Anybody can buy NR Upland licenses and hunt pretty much as much as they want you just have to buy multiple licenses in some places. So you want the first week in Montana for residents only? Take up your bitch fest to Montana Fish and Wildlife cause here it won't get you any where.

Last edited:
Anybody can buy NR licenses and hunt pretty much as much as they want you just have to buy multiple licenses in some places.
I assume you're just talking about upland hunting.

There are a lot on non-resident big game licenses that require a lottery and you have to draw one.

Goose is gonna be pissed when he finds out I'm headed to Montana this fall to hunt mule deer. 2 preference points is a 100% draw rate. Might detour up to the highline and dump some mud.

Actually part of it did or more correctly a different amendment passed....
the commission approved delaying nonresident bird dog training by two weeks, moving it back from Aug. 15 to Sept. 1. That’s the same day the upland game bird season opens. Resident bird dog trainers can start as early as Aug. 1. So basically non-res can no longer run/train a dog before the season opens on public ground. So you can no longer arrive a day or 2 before the season to tune up your dog like a lot hunters do that have just 1 or 2 dogs.

People who spend a week hunting are not the issue.People who spend a month,renting houses, hiring these guys.They are the problem.

Back