Tools?

MNhuntnfish

What must have tools do you guys carry on you while hunting? I just carry my typical med kit with a leather men but as I read through some of these posts, seems like some guys carry a tool box. Some days are miles and miles of walk and I want to pack as light as I can. But one thread about traps got me thinking. The wife and I ended the MN pheasant season hunting a dried out slough and we came upon two old rusted beaver traps. Looks like the trap has been there for years. It was the first time seeing a trap so now it got me thinking to prepare for the next season.

I assume you are talking about pheasant hunting. I've been hunting pheasants for more than 60 years and never carried anything more than maybe a knife and a length of rope in case my dog got caught in a conibear trap.

The tools I carry is a Gerber multi tool, a felco wire cutter for snares and a 4 foot slip lead. Slip lead is mostly in case of a conibear but then I have a lead in case I end up by a busy highway or need to get my dog out of the field under my control.

The tools I carry is a Gerber multi tool, a felco wire cutter for snares and a 4 foot slip lead. Slip lead is mostly in case of a conibear but then I have a lead in case I end up by a busy highway or need to get my dog out of the field under my control.
Same gear with a small med kit in the vest.

I ALWAYS have a pair of Felco C7 cable cutters to slice through a snare. I've had a friend lose a dog to one, and another friend has had to use his cutters twice to get his dog free. Both of those friends encountered those snares while out pheasant hunting. I also carry a pair of forceps to remove porcupine quills, as well as a leatherman. Did I mention Felco cutters....?

No tools, not even a knife, a length of cord is all. If we had porkys around, might carry a tool for that. Now what is in the truck, is another conversation, that would be what many carry on their person...plus an "extra" of about everything I am wearing or might need, I just don't need to drag it around with me and usually never need it. I guess the difference could be, I am seldom a mile from my truck or a residence (of someone I know), some could call my style "urban" hunting.

Last edited:
I guess the difference could be, I am seldom a mile from my truck
Neither am I. Actually I can't even think of a spot I hunted in recent memory in which I couldn't visually see the truck. Its always a 1/4 mile or less away.

But I still carry a few items. Zip ties, knife, leatherman. I think the "trapping kit" posted above is a good idea too, although I've never found a trap or snare in 26 years of pheasant hunting. Good to be on the safe side though.

Small first aid kit, the cable cutter mentioned by others and a huge zip tie for traps. typically I’m not more than a mile from my truck

Leatherman on my shell belt, an inexpensive nylon gun sling that could double up as a leash, muzzle or strap. My GWP stepped in a trap along a creek bottom in Iowa many years ago. It was removed with ease with no issues to the dog. Trapper was a young teen age boy just learning his new hobby. Cable cutters are a good idea, just never know. Think safe.

my dog would be dead by the time I carried her there
This is a fear of mine, although the chances are so remote its almost unmeasurable. Pretty sure it would scar me for life and give me PTSD. My wife would never let me take a dog hunting again either.

Better safe than sorry.

Forceps, 1 inch duct tape, spare dog boot, length of 550 cord ( not ideal for a leash but works in a pinch) and couple packets of honey

On me afield: a knife, dog water and a small bowl for it. In the vehicle: bandaging, antiseptic ointment, and rimadyl

Last edited:
Back